1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Anime general

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 10110100101, Mar 10, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

So excited to see that someone on the forums is watching this. It's my all-time favorite.

Hope you enjoy it and come back to give your thoughts when you've finished watching. :)

Lawrence_Shagsworth likes this.
  2. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I liked that anime, but just reading the title of it made me shake my head and look behind me and sigh.. I'm really getting tired of those romances where there's no real romance or it doesn't end in a relationship and every time something romantic is about to happen something gets in the way

Sytoplasma and BlueLuigi like this.
  3. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Too bad Sakurasou LNs ending was- wait, oh yeah, we don't talk about that.

Been watching Death Parade, shit is great, got a few more episodes to go, finished Nanatsu no Taizai too, pretty good for a 'battle shounen', I'll be looking forward to S2.

SirDangalang likes this.
  4. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I wanted to mention these two as well.

Paprika will indeed do unspeakable things to your brain. The story, the art direction, and the infectious soundtrack--they're all deeply compelling. This is the very anime that inspired Christopher Nolan to make Inception. I can't say I understood the movie entirely, but it was definitely enjoyable.

I would also recommend anything else by Satoshi Kon, who made Paprika. Here's a video talking about his style when it comes to editing scenes. (Contains mild spoilers.) If you just want to see a quick example of his work, skip to 6:23 to see a short by Kon. (It's barely 1 minute.)

5cm/s isn't my favorite type of anime, but the art can be breathtaking. Also by the same guy is Garden of Words. I haven't watched it, but I've seen some beautiful scenes from it.

One last movie that I enjoyed was Patema Inverted. In this story, failed experiments cause a subset of the world population to invert gravity, so that they fall up instead of down. These "Inverteds" are forced to live underground, isolated from above-ground society. The societies of normal people and inverted people diverge, and they grow to distrust each other, until . . . (I think you get the idea.)

Anyway, the concept is executed fantastically in Patema Inverted. The art is great, and I love how it plays with perspective by turning the camera upside-down at times. In fact, it would be totally valid to watch the entire movie with your screen upside-down. In my opinion, other aspects of the movie, like the characters and themes, aren't super deep. (Just average.) But still, I found myself thinking "Wow this is really cool" several times while watching.

EDIT: If you have a fear of heights, Patema Inverted will definitely affect you (in good ways . . . maybe).

5. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

Oh god without spoiling the plot does anyone know the name of this anime movie?

So the premise is that humanity was driven underground due to the surface of the earth becoming inhabitable from extreme environmental changes. However the draw to the movie is that the current humans have lived underground for so long that the new generations do not remember how earth was like or how they came to live underground as most of earth's history has either been lost or corrupted . The main character is a researcher who is trying to restore the corrupted files from the past as a historian trying to figure out what happened.

It ends in such an amazing way I would personally recommend it :X3:

6. Nighthawk

I agree with you on all points. But I would like to point out that Sakurasou isn't just about romance (in fact romance plays a rather small part if you ask me). It's a show about a lot of things: natural talent vs. effort, failure, finding the strength to keep trying even after that failure... it's got a lot going for it outside of the romance department. And the fact that it's all wrapped up in a fun, colorful comedy full of quirky, lovable characters makes it all the better.

Most days I try to pretend the anime adaptation is the only reality.
    Most days it works.

... Not today. T.T

Sytoplasma, Hawxx and Mazey like this.
  7. Mersau1t

Mersau1t Catapult Fodder

I will say, I have read the novel the movie is based on, and it seems to me one of the few cases where the movie does better than the book in getting across the themes the writer was dealing with.

In totally unrelated news, I have just started watching "Initial D", which is freaking amazing. Came for the music, stayed for the schlock. Any thoughts?

8. Nighthawk

You guys watched KonoSuba yet?

If you haven't... it's 10 episodes. You have no excuse. Go.

If you have... well, I would say you get a cookie, but you've pretty much already gotten your reward.

Lawrence_Shagsworth likes this.
  9. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Sakurasou as a whole triggered me completely.

I've been slow to watch stuff recently, but I Can't Understand What my Husband is Saying would be a 10/10 if it was full-scale episodes I think.

Hawxx likes this.
  10. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

ALL ABOARD THE MEGUMIN TRAIN!

Meanwhile I recently finished Nichijou and The Girl That Lept Through Time, Both were very rewarding experiences!

11. Nighthawk

While Megumin is easily best girl, all of the characters were wonderful in that they were, as I like to put it, "lovably imperfect."

I'm not sure how you mean that, but if it triggered anything at all, I suppose the show has done its job!

12. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

it was a mixture of best girl losing and the entire gym graduation yelling event. i really did enjoy the side-romance working out 100% and probably wouldve enjoyed a series about that instead

13. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

*smiles wryly*
    *finds out crush is crushing on someone else*
    *not sure whether to laugh or cry*

Life is good. Seeing these tropes translate to anime is funnier than anything.

Yagger and Mazey like this.
  14. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

I finished Noragami and started Noragami Aragoto, a rather generic setting and plot being executed pretty well, second season has already surpassed first season in the first few episodes lmao.

Haikyu's nearly finished now, looks like there will be a S3 for sure.

Still patiently waiting for JoJo part 4.

I NEED IT SO BAD

15. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

please send help

16. Nighthawk

Poor, poor Aoyama. I too, was hurt. :'(

Sytoplasma and Yagger like this.
  17. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I'm still watching Ace of Diamond (s2) by the way. Fucking amazing show, art might not be great but I love the story and the animations. After watching it so long I really felt their emotions after the latest episode. If you don't hate sport anime or are willing to try it I really recommend you watch it (or if you want something shorter, Baby Steps was also good, but IIRC it was more predictable)

Hawxx likes this.
  18. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Have the first season on hold atm, might start it up again as I've nearly finished Haikyu and Noragami Aragoto, guess I might continue watching Full Metal Panic too.

19. Mazey

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't know where you are but I got mad at that episode when she did shit she shouldn't have done. /nospoiler

Anyway it's a great anime and the teaser at the end really hyped me up for season 3, and looking at how well they did season 2 (compared to a lot of other shows doing another season) I think the third will be great too
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 27, 2016, Original Post Date: Mar 24, 2016 ---

Hype

Hawxx likes this.
  20. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Fuck.

Mazey likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi