1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1792] Simple Snare Trap

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Didgedy, Apr 1, 2016.

?

Is it viable?

1. Yes.

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No.

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

Hello, dear person currently reading this!
    This is my idea for a trap, which is meant not to harm, but to lock someone in place for others to kill.
    KAGp1.png kagp2.png
    Pretty simple, eh? It costs 25 stone and 61 wood, so it can be built with resupply materials, not to mention, quickly.
    It can also be upgraded with the ''Extra Death'' DLC, that costs 70 stone and a bit of wood (so that falling on the dirt-spike causes extra damage)
    kagp3.png
    Or, if you are a wuss thats afraid of harming anyone, or are low on stone, then you can add some doors for 64 wood.
    kagp4.png

So now your teammates wont get trapped when someone decides to die in it.
    Pros:
    -Cheap to build
    -Built relatively quickly
    -Can buy a lot of time when the enemy gets stuck in there (they will)
    -Easy to fix
    -The enemy can't hide in it, like they can with some traps.
    Cons:
    -Easy to break
    -Require human intervention if it is to kill (if second option is not taken)
    -Teammates can get stuck when someone dies in it (if third option is not taken)

So, what are your thoughts? Do you have any thoughts? What is your favourite colour?

2. _Cuffs_

_Cuffs_ Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

I voted no in the pole because I can't see this being used in a competitive match. In a pub match it could work. But anyone decent will not get caught by it.

Psiklaw likes this.
  3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

also very easy to be stomp camped from these traps.

4. BarsukEughen555

BarsukEughen555 Ballista Bolt Thrower

1 bomb and trap is disabled

5. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

The concept is interesting, making a trap to keep someone in place, not using spikes to save stone, I dunno if how you made it is correct, as if a single platform is destroyed, then rip the trap.

6. _Cuffs_

_Cuffs_ Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

It's cheap and easy to replace so it has that going for it.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

[​IMG]
    I think you'll find something like this is cheaper and more effective, both in pugs and more "serious" play (noones going to fall into it by accident but you can still force them there/build lots. Team safety is important. Maintenance is always a concern. Trap blocks are awful in almost any situation, avoid them where you can. The panic of a knight (or several) trapped in here jabbing frantically at the platform is hilarious, and you can drop spikes around the side of the platform to clear it. Only downside is how easy it is for an enemy builder to sabotage it (one wood block below the platform does the trick) but as i said, maintenance isn't too bad. You can go lighter or heavier on the background support. like anything, works best with dirt backwall, but the attraction is that you can build it pretty well anywhere, pretty cheaply.

8. PUNK123

what about trapblocks for scaling. Alot of pubbies still like them but i find that doors layered against a wall solves the purpose alot better

SirDangalang likes this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Honestly the only use I like to see for trap blocks is idiot-proofing wood spikes, and even then its tenuous - adds an easier "roof" for sapping builders to hide under, and convert to team-only passage with a single door.

I preferred the trap blocks that the team could move through but the community voted for the revert those few months ago. Such is life.

10. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

While on the subject of trap blocks, although I agree that they are quite tenuous, they are useful none the less, and quite an important block to have in the game.

Maybe they could be done like this - A)dead bodies/items will not block them from closing, and B) people can go through then IF they hold, say SHIFT while moving in the direction of the block.

The main reason I hated the change made to them was that it was very easy to accidentally fall into your own teams trap, worse even, a saw. Also, they annoy me when a dirt-spike is exposed to my team after one enemy dies in it.

Also, I like your version o the snare trap. Though it seems... Evil... Though it doesn't seem cheaper, though.

11. PUNK123

Personally if i had my way trapblocks would literally work as trapblocks against the enemy. They would fall through the blue side and the white side would be solid against them. ie: the regular facing trapblock would work as a solid block for teammates but a downard facing platform for the enemy. Would stop all the sharking and actually make them trap.

12. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

Classic had trap platforms, which worked pretty well - they were less of a trap block, but a large amount of them in a radius around the enemy would open up, even if they were closed, you could descend them.

13. Geti

Trap platforms have their own problems and don't work at all with the idea of block rotating.
    "Actual Trap" blocks work but are almost too powerful, and the directionality means they favour vertical building even more than currently.
    The "press in the direction to move through" worked fine imo, but the bugs in the implementation made you fall through more often than you should have, potentially due to caching of the "can collide" value (didn't have hours to look into it at the time and the vote didn't pass in favour).

Re: my snare - if you make it a "passive" trap like in your first one (omit the spike) you can have it for the low low price of 75 wood 14 stone (with 2 stone backwall holding up the platform), or 75 wood 30 stone for a full background (leave out the tile above the stone block and build an arch to make it a little more bomb-resistant)
    [​IMG]
    I'd definitely advise springing the 30 stone for the spike though.

14. PUNK123

almost stone platforms do sound abit over-powered. Eitherway if you do ever change back to the oldnew trapblocks it would be more agreeable for me if it was just a specific key held to be able to go thru trapblocks. Maybe inventory F or E and give suggestion hint,so you wouldnt have the accidental collisions that lead to people hating it. Also people wouldnt be able to complain about losing "functionality" of trapblocks as scaling(which i personally find irritating).

Sytoplasma likes this.
  15. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

Those giant castles in alpha were like 90% team platforms. I was personally sad to see them go, but I understand the change.

16. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I use these platform + door combination a lot in tunnels, with/without spikes. It's easier to catch unaware players that are holding A/D and W. With a retractile spike it works good.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Geti likes this.
  17. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

This design is golden. In current games the OP stuck-trap would hinder too many teammates after the enemy-pass block is triggered, too much of a liability.

18. I'd personally have trap blocks all AROUND the platforms, so its more likely friendlies won't get stuck in it (the drawback is that it is possible but hard to use the blocks to keep jumping a few times before the physics kick-in, enough to probably hurt you. I recently did a post whose trap is very similar to yours).

19. TryingKAG

TryingKAG Builder Stabber

so... place spike after enemy gets trapped there, without opening door?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    8x likes this.
  20. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

That brings a thingy usual when toying with traps or trapped enemies
    if somebody got trapped you won't be able to place a spike there, the body itself of the enemy doesn't let you, you should have to wait for him/her to jump or move away (impossible for that unspiked trap) to leave the stone spot free. Meaning you can't build spikes or solid blocks where somebody is standing.

TryingKAG likes this.