1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG KAG Build 1830 - A Few Weeks' Tweaks and TR Offer

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Apr 21, 2016.

?

How do you like the ballista changes?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2016.
  1. Great!

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. Ok, but I'd like to see some changes...

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Bad! I loved spamming ballistae!

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Bad! I never see them any more!

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. I haven't noticed a difference.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Yeah maybe the reason it keeps popping up is that I have bad habit of force quitting programs....

2. JiffIez

JiffIez Arsonist

I think the ballista changes were decent enough. It costs a crap ton to get bomb bolts now and the bolts themselves cost much more than before which eliminates infinite bomb bolt spam potential. I've been using them more as mobile spawnpoints as their effectiveness as anything else is really situational now due to the high cost. Just deploy one semi-high up at mid and encase it in platforms facing outwards in all directions (make sure to use stone backwall).

@Geti:
    The TR pop up always pops up for me even if I exit properly D: Why you do this to me? <////3

EhRa likes this.
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I've just checked this to make double-sure but it's definitely not "coming back" on my end (on both standalone client and steam install)

Do you have the game installed anywhere funny? It's literally stored in autoconfig.cfg, the same file used to store the rest of the settings. Try changing cl_popup_shown to 1 in there - if that fixes it your game may be failing to save out settings for some reason (file permissions issues, antivirus trolling us, etc)

4. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

20160425205935_1.jpg
    Ah yes, archers can now fly and shoot though walls, ladders no longer work, and the build menu is full of giant question marks and dollar signs on official US. Gotta love these regressive updates.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Gotta love that the code causing this asshattery has been there since before christmas.

bunnie, EhRa and PUNK123 like this.
  6. TheBloodyWolf

TheBloodyWolf Arsonist

Geti plz fix, everything is borked

an_obamanation likes this.
  7. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Oh yea, I remember. It took the interns until Christmas to figure out how to roll back the Halloween update. Hopefully they've learned their place; whacky joke updates belong in thriving games with stable infrastructure, not a game that's being tacitly phased out, with its own existing issues.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Fuzzle, bunnie and PUNK123 like this.
  8. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

That's hardly a fair comment. You, the community want updates but then complain when things go wrong, or aren't in the style of your own personal opinion. So which is it? Updates that can potentially break or fix the game, or no more updates, for them to abandon the game and never utter a word again.

If we're on the subject of content, and some people are complaining that more content isn't going in to, then what are maps? What are these holiday updates/
    Be thankful for the transparent dev we have, cuz I'm pretty sure that it's really only Geti or the interns that actually work on KAG still and they're completely honest about their fuck ups, what's happening and the direction they're moving in.

I'm not saying don't question the devs, but literally every update thread is 90% complaints from the same usual culprits. For once try and get some constructive critism in.
    #justsayin

Vampire, Bint, Psiklaw and 8 others like this.
  9. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

The people who complain about KAG adding new things need to spend more time stating how to improve the system instead of just saying "CHUCK IT OUT". Being able to go through your own trap blocks? Yeah, it was sorta a bad idea but it did have good things to it that fixed a couple issues, so if you perhaps tweaked it or maybe made a special block that acts like that (Sorta like how that one mod had team platforms) then it could be a rather good addition. At the end of the day this is never going to happen though because it's much easier to bitch and whine than to be calm and talk about the issues. :l

Magmus likes this.
  10. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

The community can get behind things such as this, the only reason KAG will ever die, is that the community ceases to care. You have an idea you want implemented? Go look at the scripts and get to work. The devs worked really hard to give us FULL customisation of them game (to extent, sure). Lets make use of it.

Noburu, Magmus, Geti and 3 others like this.
  11. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

mayby if the devs made a guide how to mod, then they will never need to update again 25252525
    Kag can become open sourced ( but still cost money lol) 25252525

12. Geti

Thanks kaizo :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

At the risk of being too brief:
    1. Have a look around the files in your KAG folder under base. Everything is "open source" - you can read how everything was programmed and see all the configs and sprites and sounds.
    2. The script language is AngelScript, you can read the documentation here or just get stuck into editing some existing scripts. The config file format is more finicky but also more self-explanatory, just don't reorder any sections and you should be golden (play with the numbers or add/remove scripts from the lists). The sprites are just regular PNG images, but you'll need an image editor that can handle transparency (photoshop, gimp, aesprite, paint.net, mypaint, paint tool sai, krita...). Sounds are WAV or OGG files and can be made with pretty much any audio software.
    3. Copy the files you're interested in changing to a new folder under mods/, and activate that mod in your mods.cfg - for best results put the files in the same "place" inside your mod, like entities/characters/builder/builder.cfg instead of just builder.cfg
    4. Start modifying those files to provide new and exciting experiences!
    5. Upload your mod to the resources section or host it on a server for the benefit of everyone
    Please enjoy this comprehensive guide to KAG modding.

13. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

What? The comment in question was complaining about how they added in something for halloween and it broke the game. It wasnt anything that couldve made the game better it was just useless instakilling gregs that caused the game to fuck up twice, if im not mistaken.

Fuzzle likes this.
  14. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

The gregs were still totally worth it

Bint, Noburu, DatNobby and 6 others like this.
  15. Geti

The thing that caused it to fuck up was simply not including the scripts for the other holidays. A massive, stupid oversight and something that should have been picked up before it going to release, of course, but its not like it's some unfathomable technical issue.

Re: "less additions and more fixes" - every single update for the last year at least has had fixes in the changelog. Feel free to argue that there should be only fixes every build until KAG is spotless, but it's simply never going to be the case; the game has several points where it's fundamentally broken, and we frankly have other priorities.

As always, I'm honestly sorry that the game isn't up to some arbitrary standard of quality. If you feel that way still after so long, free to not play it - that bar isn't going to move much, and there are people who enjoy the game in its current state. I take the criticism as something to apply in future works. I can't speak for MM.

Noburu likes this.
  16. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Well we can always play trenchrun with its 2 online players(on a good day).

Fuzzle likes this.
  17. Geti

Classy.

PUNK123 likes this.
  18. Brilly

Brilly Haxor

Geti, it's a problem of psychology.

Most people don't know what they actually want.

Telling your userbase that they have complete freedom to modify and customize things as they please will not lead to the results you seek.

It only serves to divide the community into those who have the patience and knowhow to mod (usually an older demographic) and those that don't (An entire generation of ADHD kids with no patience for anything)

Even among that modding subgroup, each person has their own ideas and vision for what is actually fun to do, and more often than not, these visions clash with each other.

Divided we fall, united we stand.

So perhaps focus more on creating a fun product for an entire community rather than asking the users to make a fun product for themselves.

l3afysamz likes this.
  19. Geti

Hey look, it's Brilly.

I'm aware of those issues, though it's good to have them summarised so succinctly. They're not going away for KAG though; I've got other projects taking my time and reworking KAG forever isn't high on my priority list.

I've said it elsewhere, but since you've been gone a fair while - KAG gets a mixture of too much credit and too little. The game was never "designed" in the sense of some ground-up, planned-to-be-balanced, competitive-compatible, casual-friendly set of features and how they should interact. It was cobbled together by a uni student and a disillusioned veteran over several years, across changing tech, based on community feedback and what felt right at the time. That's the simple reality of it.

That it ended up as something that hundreds of thousands of people wanted to play is testament to imperfection, but also invites lots of questions along the lines of "why isn't it better". It's not better cause we couldn't do better with what we were working with, and there's no motivation to tear up our work now when it's something that people enjoy playing.

We'll use the happy lessons from KAG (and the bitter ones from Trench Run) in future work. There's not much "big" coming for KAG, as far as I'm concerned.

The "results I seek" are quite different from the ones you and a lot of the community seem to envision. I want to build more, different experiences, not work on the same game another 5 years. People enjoy the game as it currently is, and the income and savings from it pay the rent, bills, and groceries. For now, for me, that is enough.

kaizokuroof likes this.
  20. BearKnight

BearKnight Shark Slayer
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

do you and the other devs enjoy playing the games you've made as much as the non-developers do?