1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Trench Run Trench Run - What are your priorities?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 19, 2016.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey guys and girls,

After the, ehem, "slow" reception of Trench Run, our realistic ability to continue to spend time on it is very much reduced.

However, this just means we have to focus more on what the folks who are playing want, at least in the short term.

Our current thoughts are are:
    • Deal with the server instability (fix regions being offline)
    • Release the community dedicated server (so unranked play is a thing and people can look at modding if they want to)
    • Add some way of unlocking costumes (this requires some thought to avoid losing all progress due to some bug)
    • Leaderboard Rewards (every week or day reset leaderboards, put the top person into a list of champions and pay some coins)

Basically avoid interfering with peoples playing, let the community host and shape the game if they want, and provide more lasting rewards for completionists.

However: What would be your personal priorities for TR development? What would get you playing and ease your frustrations with the game? Are there any "big bugs" that you'd like to see fixed?

Looking forward to your feedback,
    Max and Michal

2. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Well, this is the only thing I'd request, so woot \o/
    TR zombie mode here we come!

3. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

As for personal (not necessarily good ideas): i want TR to be a slower game, with longer maps, a focus on conquering and defending buildings/bunkers/trenches, tickets or just respawns, a timer. More content in general, even more music, throwable/grabbable items, throwing knives (a la soldat), a new game mode, sport mods...

4. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

to be honest, i think most people don't play trench run because it misses what is so good in KAG: building. Depending on the team, every game can be different. everything may change in one moment. to be honest, i like these 2 hour long stalemates... if it's a good map, of course. these completely flat or pit-in-the-middle are just boring.

For me, i feel like playing a heavily modded TDM when playing trench run.

Trench Run is a good game, but it's only if you want to have some fun with your friends once a week or something. in the long run, it gets boring (who would want to play TDM only?)

i understand that you and MM may be tired of kag, but i want KAG2 very much...

5. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Releasing a dedicated server would be a good start I agree

TBA_LordKnight likes this.
  6. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Basket ball practice in singleplayer (So people with lag <--- can get good)

7. Sturm

Sturm Base Burner

1)free and premium status
    2)ability to host 32vs32 assaults-only CTF

8. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I would like it to be published under 1Bardesign instead of THD, and not mention KAG anywhere. That might help people saying it's bad because it doesn't have building like KAG, even though they're very different games (might as well say every game without KAG building sucks!!!)

On a slightly more serious note: customizable single player matches (like kills, round time, amount of bots, etc), another gamemode would be really great. Also a singleplayer adventure like Save the Princess would be cool

9. BarsukEughen555

BarsukEughen555 Ballista Bolt Thrower

add in KAG-like serverlist and also add in admins + editor
    a lot of classsic ppl may come in

10. stabborazz

stabborazz Haxor Staff Alumni

Hey Alpha males and grills.
    Trench run is an amazing game in my opinion with alot of potential. That's why it would be sad if nohting more can be done with it.
    What I wanne see in the future:
    -More gamemodes:
    • Like 8x said, somehting in the style of having one team defend a certain point or base, and having another team being the attacker. The attackers have to capture the base within a certain amount of time.
    • Drunken brawl, this is something I tought about before the game was released. All players have the maximum amount of alcohol in their body, maybe even some more added effects. This is a free for all, much like skirmish with fairly small maps. But the only weapons they can use are beer and wine bottles. You need to smash your bottle into each others head, knocking them out. You can also throw your bottle, this would break it but you can find new bottles on the map.
    • And like our African pirate said: Zombie mode. A bunch of soldiers have to defend a base against a zombie horde that gets bigger and stronger as time passes. You can get revived by your teammates, and if you do not get revived in a certain amount of time you become a zombie. Zombies win the game when all humans are dead, I don't really know yet what the humans should do to win. It would also be cool in this gamemode if there is some sort of class that can place turrets and repair / place blocks.
    -More lobby stuff:
    The lobby is a pretty cool place to spend your time at, it would be really cool if this pacle grew into some sort of small town.
    • More minigames like basketball ?
    • More costumes
    • More pets
    • ect..
    - Just more fixes and gameplay improvements
    - To make skirmish more interesting there could be more pickups that give your character different ammo for a few shots. For example a pickup that makes the engineer (demolision, but I will all it engi 4 life) fire homing rockets for his next 2 or 3 shots. Grenades that explode on impact for assault, ect..
    - Singleplayer Adventure like Mazey said.
    - A map editor so players can create their own custom maps for people to mess around in. An in-game system that lets you create and upload maps.
    This would come with a few new cool blocks like explosive barrels, spikes, and just more deadly terrain that would make moving around more fun. This can also be used as combat-tactics, like knocking somebody into spikes with a bomb. or shooting explosive barrels that create a chain-reaction of explosions.0

- An ownsership system on basketballs, much like pets, but you'd be able to share your ownership with other people. So if you wanne play a basketball game with friends you can still do so, but if you're tired of randoms dicks (like barsukEughen >:c ) pickig up your balls and throwing them on a roof that you can't get on than this feature would be heaven.

11. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

What's the point of having admins
    And why editor?

12. A slower gamemode where teammates work together to push objectives (with respawning).

Also the ability to navigate menus with the mouse..

SirDangalang and Sytoplasma like this.
  13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: new gamemode, more maps, big shift in game focus, more lobby stuff, etc - these are all nice ideas and I'm listening, but remember we won't be spending too many more hours/weeks on it - none of these are small changes!

Re: fixes requests - what fixes in particular would you like to see? Like what concrete bugs/issues do you see with the game?

Re: KAG comparison - as Mazey says, I wish this wasn't always going to be the case, haha. There's no building in soldat or counter-strike or quake and yet these games manage to play out different all the time. TR is not a sandbox game I'm afraid.

I agree that it's not the kind of game you'll sit down and play 3 hours of, and it's tricky to really change that without adding a lot more content. Gamemodes are tempting but having to create tens more maps to provide the same level of variety on top of that is daunting to say the least.

the former will come with release of dedi server, its just under "unranked". Admins might be a little trickier, but mostly just requires porting some of the menu code (MM would have to do it though, the menu code is full of spiderwebs and goblins)

makmoud98 likes this.
  14. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

norill's kag scripted menu remake??

15. Geti

I guess he'd be familiar with the style of code as well, but IIRC he had to fix a lot of stuff moving it from TR to KAG, so i'd defer to him to answer. (@norill)

16. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

While when I played trench run I only played FFA, I have heard some people talking about rocket jumping and how other people have been blown up by it? Also don't know if you can spam on Trench Run (I assume so) so having admins to mute those people would be nice if spamming is a thing. And if you were to add in extra gamemodes admins may be needed to watch over the gamemodes depending on what they are and what new things are added.

To me though, most important part about getting admins on trench run would be to have people (The admins) actively encouraged to stick around in matches on patrols for a little bit, and to patrol around each region. This way it kinda increases the playerbase per hour for a slight amount. But admins aren't the most important thing Trench Run needs. It's things to encourage the gathering of more players (Giveaways, things that lead to more addiction/playtime, leaderboards per day, and perhaps more steam things or sales :D

Sytoplasma and Vamist like this.
  17. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

My point was to show why so many people that play kag don't like TR.

18. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Oh yes, please add mouse controls for combat, the aiming cursor thing is absolute garbage.
    Now, I don't mean have instant aiming like in kag, where the arrow goes directly in the direction of the mouse, but something along the lines of:
    Left mouse press: Start Aiming
    Hold Left Mouse: Increase accuracy, or slowly move the aim towards the mouse or something.
    Left release: fires the shot. So if you don't hold longer enough it goes astray or something.

Using just arrow keys + two other keys to control the game feels reaaaaally bad and frustrating(and difficult to use for newer players) in a game where almost every class has an aim skill.

Another thing I wanted to point out was that it feels like players have way too little hp, and that you generally get killed instantly if someone attacks you, although this may just be me playing with proleet players who just are good at killing me in 1-shot. It feels like medic packs are useless when you're alive (even if you're bleeding).

Edit: Oh yes, the chat box/window/system in general just feels bad to use. The small windows that appear with your message are almost never big enough, you need to press a button to bring up the log instead of having on-screen the whole time and the text is way too large.

Psiklaw and Vamist like this.
  19. that would be a re-re-make, since i based them on TR menus, added mouse support and adapted them to kag. but that was long ago and TR menus have changed since i "forked" them. and honestly, working on menus was a pain in the ass, its not something i would happily go back to

20. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

At first, when the TR concept was first released, I imagined something like WW1 or WW1 style trench warfare, something to do with long haul matches over a half destructible terrain map. Stuff with tanks, artillery, barb wire etc. That would make TR fun for the long run.

Sytoplasma and PUNK123 like this.