1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG KAG - Build 1859 - Sponge Defense and Various Fixes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 20, 2016.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey KAG Folk!

Just a small build today, fixing a few bugs and tweaking one map in particular. There's also an experimental change in there for water-haters, so pay attention. The build should be out on all platforms in about half an hour (as of post time)

Sponges now "absorb" most of a water-stun if they're in your inventory. The sponge is destroyed, and the stun time is reduced to 0.5 seconds from 1.5 seconds. This allows you to counter particularly water-heavy players. If it becomes particularly important, we might need some sort of visual indicator that you're carrying sponges, but as it stands we see it as a similar "ace in the hole" to whipping out a bomb mid-fight (or a water bomb).

[​IMG]
    Clean yourself up quick-smart against water-spam tactics with sponges.

Code:
    Full Changelog:

[modified] some changes to CerberosRift following community feedback
    [fixed] shield-bashing multiple overlapped boulders sending you to space
    [fixed] tunnel-grapple "archer fling"
    [removed] a heap of unused maps
    	(from maps/, that had been around since classic)
    [fixed] bug in kickafk that _could_ (but generally wouldn't) crash the server
    	+ disabled kicking local player (no more disconnect when you leave sandbox to get a cup of tea)
    [added] carrying a sponge partially protects you from water stuns
    	(1 sponge per stun, sponge is destroyed, stun is reduced from 1.5s to 0.5s)
    Have Fun!
    Max

Magmus, Noburu, NinjaCell and 11 others like this.
  2. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

interesting update, i wonder how the community will react

btw who drew that masterpiece?

3. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

I hate to be critical all the time, but this is a bandaid solution to balancing water bombs. To have stun immunity in this fashion is very circumstantial. Sponges are extremely cheap to make but require a fair bit of preparation (switch to builder class, farm wood, walk to builder shop, spam spange). Not to mention that carrying 4 sponges means pretty much total immunity, as if water bombs were used too much already.

The real fix is to make getting stunned actually avoidable:
    -make water bombs explode on a timer just like bombs
    -water arrows need a bigger rework where they possibly explode X seconds after impact

Nevertheless it's good to see efforts are being made to improve the game

Contrary, Osmal, Noburu and 3 others like this.
  4. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

Ayyyy the tunnel archer grapple got fixed soon after I reported it! Coincidence? I think not. :D

Other than that it seems like a neat little build, although with the new absorbing sponges i'd really like to see sponges added to the TDM shop menu if possible, that way you can counter water spammers on TDM as well :>

5. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The TDM thing might happen next week.

The re-reporting of the tunnel fling got it back into testing - previous fix "broke" at some point.

@Chrispin - i somewhat agree, but tbh it's not like water spam is the go-to meta play, because it doesn't pay for itself. Works in pug games where you're already rich as heck, and as a viable crowd control ("our knights win") option in more serious play (or pugs) - but other things are a better investment to winning in most cases.

4 sponges doesn't mean total immunity, and its a trade-off for inventory slots as it is. I like this change (suggested by @4zK) because it lets you "invest" in some circumstantial protection if the mechanic particularly bothers you - if like the rest of us you don't mind so much, then you get a few more free slots. Can definitely see it helping 1v1 at times though, and can save you from falling to your death as archer if you get splashed (you can often grapple in time to land softly).

That said, them costing wood is a bit of an oversight and will get looked into soon enough (should be just coins probably).

me?

Magmus, Noburu, NinjaCell and 4 others like this.
  7. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

Just in case anyone is skeptical about it countering water well enough, take it from tooth having a sponge makes the water nearly negligible.

Some good updates recently thanks guys.

ps m8
    Geti I truly believe a proper tutorial would help this game so much in terms of player retention and lowering the cases of bad bad bad building that leads to frustration in many games. I have the perfect idea of how to do it and I'm no coder but I think it would be simple. Something worth considering imo.

bru-jaz likes this.
  8. Geti

Uh without any details I kinda have nothing to consider; I agree but tutorials tend to be development time sponges (surprisingly relevant??). Make a separate thread about it and link it here if you'd be so kind.

Psiklaw likes this.
  9. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

good thing i can still buy 6 water arrows to outdo 4-sponge carrying fag knights.

the developers are first.

Magmus, Noburu, Kazaco97 and 3 others like this.
  10. watch me buy all the sponges instead of carrying bombs to rain explosions on everyone

not. only dumbasses complain about water

toothgrinderx and Blue_Tiger like this.
  11. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Never seen such an intuitive feature.

PUNK123 and 4zK like this.
  12. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Heh, I rarely go with less than 6 water arrows. Nice to see updates.

13. 4zK

4zK Horde Gibber Staff Alumni

utmost splendid!

I am glad to be of assistance!

14. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

So are we removing all the pretenses that sponges actually had a viable use before this build78787878?
    Also what if someone uses a water bomb on someone right infront of them and then has a sponge in their inventory? Do they get the waterbomb soaked up?

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Fuzzle likes this.
  15. an_obamanation

Well if the sponges are allowed to be in your hands and still negate water then that still negates it other than one water arrow but also assuming that sponges cost like 5-10 coins or so (I keep it at this low number because these things will still be clogging your inventory, so it's enough punishment to have less inventory slots, having to pay massive cash for a clogged inventory is a bit silly to me.) you'd still be wasting around 60 coins just to assist in the kill of one or two knights. (This obviously depends on how many knights you use it on but most times knights don't bunch together, they instead get in lines to attempt meatshielding.)

16. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

:QQ:

But the sponge change is very interesting!

Lava likes this.
  17. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

The water nerf was much needed IMHO.

18. an_obamanation

Was playing on EU today and apparently that's the case, if so that really needs to be changed. People on the server were talking about people buying waterbombs and sponges and simply hugging the other knights and spamming jabs. I'd like to think of it like boxing when one of the boxers grabs the other to get them to stop getting wailed on, except the boxer that grabbed is now allowed to punch the other one in the face.

My only two problems with the update is no sponges in tdm yet, which Geti said he's working on getting next week, and this self waterbomb stuff. People are gonna exploit the hell outta that and it just makes water even MORE OP than usual, and encourages the use of water. Hope it's not too daunting to fix!

PUNK123 likes this.
  19. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

It really doesnt seem that exploitable. My only issue is that it will cost coins though my whining about it is really trivial. I am just salty because it is so obvious this new feature has an actual use but sponges have basically no viable use for what it should do(it does allow an "air bubble tho").

20. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Yeah after all you will only get 2 water bombs and 2 sponges max, and it still stuns you.