1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Status update on US officials?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toothgrinderx, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

Soooo what's the deal can we have some info about what's happening and maybe an eta on when the servers will be back? I am constantly being asked questions about it in game and the player base would really appreciate some information.

2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Theyve said the issue multiple times is some unknown thingdoesnt everyone idle in irc why should they make any effort of alerting the ENTIRE playerbase.

Would be nice to get some actual information though. Also Trenchrun Aus and Eu are fetching lists and again and trenchrun US has been down forever.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

4. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Haxor Staff Alumni

This kinda sucks because new players that purchase the game recently probably left already due to the lack of US Servers. Since the only available official ones are the overseas servers, the new US players will just think that all servers are laggy which isn't the case.:QQ:

PUNK123 likes this.
  5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

No idea on the ETA, @Furai or @jrgp might know more. At the moment there's what looks like routing issues or some other misconfiguration on that box preventing it from reaching the API - there's a heap of other internal services (especially the ability to push updates to the game at all) that we still need up and running, so its frankly on the backburner for the moment as people can still play on community servers and the officials in other regions.

TR usa is on the same box. Other TR lobbies have the usual apiclient bug and dont have a proper workaround in place for it yet.

an_obamanation likes this.
  6. PUNK123

Updates, i dont mean to seem rude but frankly i always am, are the least important thing to me at this very moment. I dont crave a increase in the cost of something or a cool little sponge update where they defend slightly against water. If you dont have any real material ready for an update then leave the updating alone and work on the official servers. As for the community server point, we are enjoying mak's chicago ctf server and i feel like it would be viable if it didnt crash so much. fyi that is the only community hosted ctf server in our region. I generally can play well interchangeably in eu and us but i know other players cannot stand eu ping.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

As really great as it is that you're as sarcastic as ever, updates would be useful for things like changing API connection information, reducing timeouts, adding backups, allowing redirects from urls, getting http requests out of the main thread... Man, it'd be also be great if we could deal with things like community servers crashing, connections being sent the wrong place, and provide some information for players that dont read the forums or connect to irc (ie the majority of players).

That'd be really cool for us, but I can appreciate that it might not be a priority for you, Punk123, The Most Important Human.

Solaris and epsilon like this.
  8. PUNK123

I love your sarcasm. WHERE THE FUCK WAS ALL THIS EFFORT OVER THE LAST YEAR. I cant read your mind and quite frankly youve done sweet fuck all over the last year to make me expect anything. When you actually start fixing shit ill respect your effort but until then, dont be insanely sarcastic and pretentious. You guys didnt do crap before the DDoS what is suppose to lead me to thinking youll do much of anything afterwards. I dont expect you to fix shit when you blatantly dont fix shit. IE builder pickaxe, IE the builder leg's that was sprited OVER A YEAR ago, IE all the sweet fuckall you did a 1.5~ years ago when crashes were legitimate issues for things like Black Death. But no i should be so respectful and caring that you give a shit now(without informing me) after all the actual community servers left us(the US region). We've had crash when the person you follow leaves issues for fucking ever yet that isnt fixed. We have game-ending issues that dont get touched up or fixed, but no, sorry for not taking your development seriously. I sincerely apologize that i have low expectations for you why dont you give me a reason to raise them.

EDIT: if you really wanted to tell people about the issues you could make a steam announcement. That is atleast something for people looking for information. I think it is completely idiotic to only share in information through irc and no where else.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  9. Geti

For everyone else:
    The US officials are back up and running, please report any issues you have with them.

For @PUNK123:
    Re: "I've got low expectations so I get to be an arsehole"
    No, unfortunately that's not how it works. You being an arsehole is on you, not on me. You're well aware you're being constantly rude to all of us. You've been intensely sarcastic and negative the last several months about almost anything that goes on. If you want your opinion to be worth much in our eyes you're on the wrong track. Noone responds well to being shouted at by randos on the internet. If you're dissatisfied with something, asking politely is preferable to us. It's less bullshit to filter out.

Re: "and we've had this random specific following crash for ages and you didn't even do anything about it"
    [​IMG]
    Just hasn't made it to release yet, what with the whole DDoS thing preventing updates.

Re: "and the builders leg"
    Definitely not the most pressing issue at this time.

Re: "and servers crashing and API issues and"
    Also being worked on at the moment. Particularly the server-side API issues are prevalent at the moment because of the move from old versions of stuff to new versions of stuff, and all the IP/domain changes. We need to be able to push out an update to be able to do a few things about the last one (though this matters more for TR than KAG).

Re: "apiclient issue been around for years"
    Indeed, and its a thorn in our sides that whole time as well. The code there was written by people who aren't even part of THD any more though, and it's not an easy fix. The APIClient at the moment is going through a complete rewrite, but progress is slow because its a rewrite. The existing code is a mess of ad-hoc threading and not very friendly to changes, but there are a few changes coming to it to reduce timeouts and increase the "list nuke" threshold a little.
    We're also considering dropping in @makmoud98's current workaround officially, where it'll delay any futher APIClient activity for a while upon receiving an error.

Re: "and you've let the game languish for a year and a half"
    I appreciate that everyone would love it if I spent all day every day working on KAG but sales are not what they used to be and I've said several times before that I'd much prefer to be working on new projects.
    I've also let it languish a whole lot less than you'd have got with just MM.

Re: "I think it is completely idiotic to only share in information through irc and no where else."
    I agree completely and haven't been sharing any information over IRC.
    The whole thing was handled quite badly and still is being handled pretty badly - particularly with regard to what is and isn't fixed. Keep in mind that there's not actually that many people at THD, almost half of the company was on summer holiday at the time of the attack, and our 2 sysadmins are working long hours at the moment to sort out the infrastructure mess. All that said, I completely agree that more communication on what's going on would be great.

I think that covers everything for now.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  10. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

I dunno where to "report" so I guess i'll just post here?

I believe they're down again, played with a couple of people who can't see them and I can't see them atm

I'm also unable to see pings currently which doesn't bother me much for official servers but is really annoying for player hosted ones, I don't know if this is just me though.

11. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Restarted them, seem to be visible in the lobby again. Locking the thread.

Sytoplasma and an_obamanation like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.