1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

POLL: Male vs Female Player count

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BindNation, Aug 15, 2016.

?

Are you a male or female KAG player? (In IRL, not just in-game)

1. Male

2. Female

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

Life? What's that? Where can i buy that?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

As something that might kill me:
    Toffie is a GIRL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Wat!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    ok lol nice

But true I know that there's like no girls in KAG ;-;

toffie0 likes this.
  3. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

SirDangalang likes this.
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This is why you can't have nice things.

Seriously guys, you're on thin ice. Don't be jerks.

Putting aside for a minute all the negative undertones in that characterisation - Honestly, it's a positive feedback loop. The "skill heavy" games in the earlier days of gaming (especially on PC) were marketed to and consumed by largely male audiences. This created a very "masculine", aggressive culture around those sorts of games, which is very hard to get a foothold in - and super unwelcoming - for most girls.
    Because sales are good, the big games still play to this image, and the communities reinforce it, which keeps girls uninterested, which feeds back into step 1 with more male targeted marketing in the competitive games bracket.

The KAG community has the same shitty boys-club attitude and honestly I'm pleasantly surprised we've got as many female players as we do.

We've got a little bit of movement against this recently from some big games, which is exciting, but there's a long way to go. Doesn't help that almost any time a dev throws women/queer folk/poc/etc a bone the "gamer" crowd are up in arms about SJW pandering ruining GUNSHOOTER 9: Blops Cell Solid - Reloaded HD Edition - which again, reinforces the status quo.

Gender split is (only slightly) male-skew across games at large - the fact that you "hardly see girls playing games" is just indicative of the games you play.

bunnie, jimmyzoudcba, asger75 and 5 others like this.
  5. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

come for the verra memes
    get a meme we've all heard 100's of times

6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

He probably shouldve said transtrenders. Wouldve been funnier and more appropriate towards the situation(man pretending to be a woman but only on the internet for entertainment(as i think about not the exact meaning of transtrenders but w/e)). I cant speak for him(and im sure you arent saying you can either),but the point i got from what he said was that they were obviously trolling and should fuck off.
    What. Granted i do remember one situation where someone was being a harassing asshat, but generally i dont think anyone is/has made kag a boy's club.

If it works dont stop. Atleast where im from we believe in capitalism. If girls arent interested in a successful market then that's fine. Same with romance novels theyre feminine and do not interest men so men avoid them.

As for the last 1/2 if there is some creation of games that can make women feel more "comfortable" go for it if it is profitable. The issue usually towards SJW pandering is when something is made just to appease some group(ie all the backlash towards maybe possibly turning link into a girl). SJW is a derogatory insult it isnt a word defining anyone who is in support of social justice. Im all for the idea of making a female character to play as but do not ever turn a male character into a female one.

7. Solaris

Solaris Batlord Sliftensnurgh Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

>taking a thread like this seriously

bru-jaz and joshua12131415 like this.
  8. PUNK123

I considered it a stupid stupid joke until someone else took it seriously.

9. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I changed my name to GameGrl once and all the kiddos started worshipping me in chat

and, wtf is this thread

PUNK123 likes this.
  10. joshua12131415

Hmm... are we getting serious? We should rename this thread or make a new one to :
    "Why not many girls play games ( or , not play the games we play (it's not like i have played every game in existence to know this))"
    I think they don't because they feel they have to stick with the stereotype that everyone else has set them. from a young age girls are taught that they have to like pink colors and play with barbies etc.. When buying toys for girls, it's impossible to find one that doesn't have pink or purple on it, some girls eventually believe that they can't play with boy toys ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) so they don't. There becomes this separation between things girls / boys can and can't do, which is probably why girls don't play games that seem boy-ish. none of those games actually say "This Game Is For Boys", but they don't fit into the "what a normal girl does" stereotype, so they are unlikely to play it.
    If this game was called "Queen Arthurette's Gold" I think more girls would play it lol.
    Girl version of Arthur = ?
    • Arthurette
    • Arthurina
    • lol why can't you make polls in comments?

Blue_Tiger and asger75 like this.
  11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Sometimes you've got to meme for what you believe in, I guess? My internet speak isn't so good.

"[Old] boys club" is used to describe a situation where there's an exclusionary social elite based on old connections. That's exactly the situation we've had in the KAG community for years - coupled with aggressive gamers and really tough internet badasses, it's not particularly enticing mix.

I think you're misunderstanding capitalism if your approach to half the population being largely disinterested in your entire catalogue is "full steam ahead". Not going to touch the romance novel remark.

As I said, the split is not as big as some seem to think - there's a male slant but all the data I can find puts the figure between 40% and 50%. To keep your capitalism thread going, a lot of their money is going to mobile (because it's ubiquitous), web (same reason) and consoles that have pivoted their marketing (basically nintendo), though of course there's representation on PC and the other consoles too.

This specifically was kinda sad to see in my eyes. One side of the community was pretty excited about Linkle. The art looked good. Link in particular is specifically a silent husk of a protagonist to imprint yourself on (yelling while swinging a sword or not). I honestly see only benefits to a female link. Same goes for the semi-recent Assassins Creed fem protagonist "debate".

I'd agree with your sentiment for say, Solid Snake or Samus Aran, where their gender is very well established and fairly important to the character and the series, at least for mainline series games. I don't think it can be so broadly applied as "NEVER DO THIS", and the argument doesn't carry over to new franchises at all.

To quote a much more eloquent person than myself:
    https://twitter.com/5thCircAppeals/status/763098172633657344

Jokes are great. Try not to make them to alienate people.

bunnie, Blue_Tiger and joshua12131415 like this.
  12. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

In all honesty I hide the fact I play games irl and only my good friends know because of these stereotypes, and what the effects are of saying that you play games.

13. PUNK123

Alright it was a simple misunderstanding on my part.
    Ignoring romance novels is the actual problem. There are different types of books aimed for different type of people(male or female, young or old, ect). If targeting men sells alot better than targeting men and women then why would you do that. I understand your point(target twice as many people and be more successful!!!), but youd do worse in the male gamer purchases(probably)if you removed the things that already target them. Like you wouldnt make more money by making romance novels more equal(ie having the woman be the hero and the man be the damsel in distress(damsel is probably gendered but i dont feel like finding another word with similar meaning)).
    I dont care about female or male really. For instance in kag i use the female sprite because i prefer the shirt'd builder. That said when people see the art of an ambiguous type character look blatantly female(atleast in their eyes) i feel like they have a reason to be upset. Youve been selling the product of the character a specific way for years and then you want to suddenly make it a women(or atleast blatantly a woman). It just doesnt make any sense and has no real benefit(needing a female protagonist is stupid imho).

joshua12131415 and EhRa like this.
  14. asger75

asger75 Haxor

Sorry overlord geti, it was to edgy 4 forums, I got you (Nothing I say over the internet means shit, don't get your nickers in a twist) and on that note I'd like to say, exterminate gender bias, and don't worry about who plays the bloody game <(no but seriously)

15. joshua12131415

I agree on the part about shirtless builders. There should be customizable clothes, like the heads.

16. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

Now 44 males and 6 females. :D

Starting HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) very very soon.. help me. ;A;

17. JaytleBee

JaytleBee Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. [Server] Sandbox Reborn

joshua12131415 likes this.
  18. joshua12131415

19. Cobramuziek86

Cobramuziek86 Arsonist

My girlfriend tried KAG once.. She rq'ed after 10 minutes, went into a fit cursing way worse than i've seen any player do ingame, then went to bed angry xD Sorry guys, I tried :P

norill, Osmal, Blue_Tiger and 2 others like this.
  20. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

To play KAG, you either have to have a LOT of patience, or be a masochist.

Mods: BlueLuigi