1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Saw jumping

Discussion in 'Knight' started by mcrifel, Aug 28, 2016.

1. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

For some of you this may be old news however I did not find a thread on this and I think it might be useful for some people.

The saw jump is actually incredibly simple, you throw down a bunch of bombs then throw a saw on it so that all bombs explode at the exact same time. Its by far the easiest way to do really large bomb jumps, here is how:

2. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

I actually had no idea this worked until today when I threw a bomb at a saw. Wonder if it's just as effective with less bombs, might be funny to do in a pub match :rekt:

3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I heard from flare that this was one of the "bugs" he got banned for. If that is true this thread might get locked for "too much bug discussion" because that is apparently a reason to lock threads now.

This specific thing(using saws to set off explosives) works really well with a keg if you want to really fuck up the enemy.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  4. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

IMHO I think that's considered as a 'hidden feature'!
    Also wasn't that removed a few updates ago? or am I hallucinating again?
    because I remember that saw jumping stopped being a thing at some point, right?

5. mcrifel

1. MIST

It doesn't feel as a bug, I always thought it was meant to work like this, shame if this thread gets locked.

6. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

You can also do this with kegs on your back

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    asger75 likes this.
  7. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I find it even easier to put the saw on a door above you to drop it.

And yeah, pretty sure this isn't a bug.

8. asger75

asger75 Haxor

How did I not know this, I hand my self given title of "master of bugs" to mcrifel :rektlord:

9. TheBloodyWolf

TheBloodyWolf Arsonist

this is not a bug tho, it's abusing the mechanics of the saw.

10. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

The devs should add a cap to your velocity in the air so you can't do really huge op bomb jumps. This may also affect archer grapple boosts so only limit it to only upwards velocity. *cough* @Geti *cough*
    I have been told several times by AUS admins to stop abusing it so i feel like it needs to be fixed. I mean bombs should still be able to instantly be blown up by saws but the speed at which you can bomb jump should be limited. This is the same as spamming bombs under you and doing a huge bomb jump without the saw. It's just too op!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  11. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Oh damn. I really never made a thread for saw jumps.

It's been nearly 16 months since I discovered this--time flies (lowkey brag). IMO, it's no more of a bug than double bomb jumps (the kind where you spam spacebar to get them to explode as close in time as possible). It's mostly a mechanic that's for fun--not something to be balanced.

Four bombs can get you across most maps . . . but now I'm really interested to see how far it would take someone on Fellere's Four Rivers.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT take other people's saws to do this. Make your own.

Be sure to check out @tru0067 's video that features another method to saw jump with a keg.

12. epsilon

1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

With both the saw trick and the bomb spam bomb jump techniques it is really easy to get over any sized wall, no matter their height. Even if there is a platform overhang you are still able to get over since you hover at the top of the map for a while.
    Also, the fact that you are basically able to bomb jump across entire maps is bullshit imo. Don't you think this is too op?
    It also gives a distinct advantage to knights compared with other classes if they know how to use it.
    Although many people are saying its not a bug, it is still abusing mechanics which needs to be adjusted!
    If this trick is in fact not a bug/exploit, can someone please inform all the admins (especially on the AUS servers) so people are able to freely use it without being accused of exploiting bugs/mechanics. I may as well use it to my advantage if other can too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    ThePiemaster likes this.
  13. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Knights have had huge mobility options from the start of beta. It's basically accepted that the only counter to a very skilled knight is at least one competent knight/archer who targets that knight. Similarly, there is no counter to a truly skilled builder, except another truly skilled builder.

Even if you take away these mobility options, knights can find slightly more skillful methods to scale towers and cross large distances.

I will bring up the "bug/exploit" issue among admins, so that we might make a centralized decision.

14. Potatobird

Yeah, what I usually do is use 4+ bombs without a saw to soar over the enemy walls, and then immediately die 1v1ing some random knight in their base.

15. mcrifel

1. MIST

Stuff like that happens to me so often, dodging knights in the battlefield with 4 bomb arrows climbing the enemy tower drop down start demolishing the flag base, 1 more layer to go and I get killed by some jabbing noob. I guess this is getting of topic.

16. Potatobird

Well I wouldn't say so - people are saying this seems op, but really, unless you have a keg it's pretty difficult to accomplish anything lonewolfing in the enemy base after your epic flight. Even if you do have a keg, you might just go splat and hand it right over to your enemies.

Because the saw jump costs so much time in bombs and setup, it's not like a catapult rush where there's a constant stream of knights with free one-way tickets to your base, it's probably going to be just you - and no bombs.

17. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

Exactly, no one truly threatening is going to even use this to get to your base. When at all possible I try to make it past everything without bombs usually needing 2 to get over the tower, leaving me with 3 to cause some damage.

It's not a glitch it's not OP it's just one of those silly kag things you can do.

Lava, SirDangalang and PUNK123 like this.
  18. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

I actually rarely ever see this. Like lol TBH I don't even really see anyone using saws on the front line not to mention using them for bomb jumps lol
    By the way I suppose that knights dont really mobilely use saws? Like at most sometimes someone dig a pit near flag/hall and just wait in it and taunts us lol
    I still vaguely remember being featured in one of the matches of @sangfroid 's saw montages lol nice job metachanging
    PS: Saw jumping isn't thought of that much actually I would say. Utilizing it is actually really nice and I would say more cool than fun.

19. ParaLogia

Knights don't use saws because they're expensive and they break easily, especially against competent players. And again, if you take a saw that your builder made for a tree farm, then that's as good as griefing. Using resources from a storage to make a saw for such tricks is also selfish.

20. epsilon

1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

@Geti i remember you specifically telling me not to abuse this mechanic. What's your opinion on people saying its fine to do it?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016