1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Busy Week - PAX, No Mario's Sky, Butcher, Site Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey guys, it's seemed like a quiet week from this side but it's actually been intensely busy for all of us at THD.

Michal and Maciej are at PAX showing a playable demo of Butcher and hanging out with a bunch of other devs, polish and otherwise. For those of you yet to be introduced to butcher, it's a 2d bloody love letter to doom, quake, terminator, and predator. Hit the link and add it to your steam wishlist!

[​IMG]

Seb is working madly on tweaking butcher to be the best game it can be before release, so he gave PAX a miss.

Max made a game for Ludum Dare 36 with 3 other Melbourne indies called No Mario's Sky, which got some press attention. It's a procedural mario game where you can explore the universe, stomp on exotic goomba species and look for peach. You can play it for free now.

[​IMG]

The site is still running on the one box at the moment as the new servers for the cluster arrangement haven't made it to the new data centre yet, and still need some hardware work. The sysadmins have been making sure that everything's working as well as possible with the current arrangement.

In particular, the build infrastructure is working properly now, so we should be able to get a patch out to fix some bugs in KAG and get Trench Run connecting to the right USA lobby again. That'll be our target for next week once MM is back from PAX.

Have Fun!
    Max

2. Monkey_Feats

Monkey_Feats Bison Rider Tester

Geti goomba.png
    Behold! our princess.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Magmus, Snake19, Joiken and 7 others like this.
  3. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

no Mario's sky's music is annoying how it restarts every time you enter a planet, it would be better if it continued playing while in space but just a quieter simpler version or something. How long will it take to find the princess? Is it possible?

Sytoplasma and PUNK123 like this.
  4. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Hey, Moonman dev was part of it too :D I'm beginning to like Australia more.

Geti, Joiken and joshua12131415 like this.
  5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Asu, joshua12131415, Vamist and 3 others like this.
  6. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

7. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

The know (A Game news thingy for youtube and has 1 million subscribers) talked about no man sky in there recent video!

also, can't normal people just upload the normal no-Mario sky? (Like what's happening with Pokemon uranium, it got a DMCA notice, but even though they don't provide the link, the fans upload it to mega and shared it on Reddit etc.)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    icemusher likes this.
  8. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

lol
    I love the idea of DMCA's Sky.
    Keep up the good work devs!

9. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

It would be funny to see a bunch of people look up No Mario's Sky and then found Michal and looked at his games and then started playing kag etc.

10. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

MM didn't work on N™S, so it wouldn't happen quite like that. But there's a possibility. It's cool to see Geti's work get some visibility.

11. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

12. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Those 3 indies from Melbourne don't include MM from Poland

Joiken likes this.
  13. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

Then why say he made the game with them?

14. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

where does it say that

15. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

ASMB (= Alex, Sam, Max, Ben) made NMS, the 3 other than Max/Geti are from the moonman.io dev team, Michal Marcinkowski/MM plays no role in it.

16. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

What are the chances of map additions, new admins, and other things. Dont mean to pry but I cant see behind the scenes(hopefully this doesnt count as asking"Wehn is da nixt upd8").

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  17. Geti

I got sick this week and apparently noone else posts news here.
    • PAX went well, Butcher was well received. MM and co only got back on Friday though.
    • Seb got lots of work on achievements, intro cinematics, and difficulty balancing for Butcher. It's really coming together.
    • Some build server and test server hosting troubles delayed KAG/TR stuff until I got sick, which delayed it til past the weekend.
    Will be looking at KAG/TR stuff in the coming week, particularly:
    • KAG build with game bugfixes (all the ones that have been "next build" since before the migration stuff; spectator crash, builder corner hitting, knight slash cancelling with 1 frame timing, etc) and some APIClient temp fixes (bigger rewrite coming thanks to @cameron1010)
    • TR build with proper USA servers and I think (?) one or two fixes, I'll check the logs.
    • TR server stability checks - they're looking a lot better recently though after some backend/hosting work.
    • Current probation admins finalised
    Maps can be done without a build but IIRC @Mazey was gonna send them on "soon" to be bundled with the game.
    New admins - imo we should just take admin applications whenever but @Furai doesn't like spending all his time sifting through those, so it's up to him. There's discussion about this on the admin forums currently.

Solaris likes this.
  18. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Slash cancelling as in that "last second" right before the stun release that results in your slash not happening thing? I assumed that was the same thing that people complained about with archers(them releasing close to the last second and no arrows coming out). If so was the archer thing fixed in the past that way. And if it was then i assume you just fixed it the same way. If not then did you just fix the entire issue right now(does the archer disappearing arrow thing still exist?). If not could you fix it the same way?

Current probation admins finalised? Is this like a new activity list that boots inactive admins out?
    Dont even know what that means so ill wait, hopefully, for mazey to elaborate.
    I mean ok. Id make the argument towards him, then, that if he just rips off the bandaid then it will only get better. Sure over the next week it might be hell(maybe 10 apps or something) but overtime it will die down. Look at the map application area for example(and the same people can make multiple apps there).

19. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I haven't encountered the arrow thing, I think I remember an issue like that getting fixed. It might just be because I never use triple shots because I think they're for baddies, I'm obv too mlg for that shit

And yeah having persistent admin apps doesn't seem like it would be too hard to manage. It would also let us respond more fluidly to lack of admin activity.

20. Geti

Yeah it was the same as the arrow thing; basically the way the code was written there was a one frame window where you could let go and wouldn't get stunned, but wouldn't trigger an attack either. The code is entirely separate for each class so fixing it for the archer didn't fix it for knight.

About maps - I mean they can be updated on official without a build but mazey said he'd send me the selected maps in a zip at some point.

Agree about persistent admin apps. When we finally get around to the oldfags forum and overhauling testers maybe that'd be a good time to make that change too. @Furai is currently overseas to see his family and has a rolled ankle to boot so I kinda don't expect him to be racing to enact change.

We're looking at something automated but basically after the recent admin "cull" there was a few admins that were borderline that we're going to make some final judgement on soon. So far it's looking the rest of the admins think they're up to scratch for the time being.