1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Anime general

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 10110100101, Mar 10, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

So do you think Part 1 and 2 are equally good or do you prefer one over the other? (If you wouldn't count them as the same/as one.)

Part 1 is usually the least favourite, though that's because everything was being built up from scratch and it's pretty damn dated. Still super awesome and enjoyable though, even if it may not be everyone's favourite. (Gotta say Part 1's setting is one of my favourites actually, so nice to see an anime/manga to explore the past in such a way.)

Part 5 is actually also one of the lower rated ones (when it comes to the manga), though I blame that on the poor translations, the anime (or the newer translation) should give everyone a chance to form a proper opinion on it.

2. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I actually almost dropped JoJo during part 1, twice. I couldn't get into hamon at all. Then Joseph saved me. I also almost dropped part 3 in the beginning. And also the part 5 manga. Not part 7 though, if you're looking for a pattern. I'm just a temperamental guy.

Dropping a show is rarely an active decision I make. I usually put a show on hold for a bit, and if I never rebuild enough interest to load up the next episode, it ends up on the wayside. That's how I dropped Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, even though I thought it was a very good show. One day, I fell behind, and I never felt an overwhelming desire to catch up.

In recent news, I binge-watched Welcome to the NHK and Mawaru Penguindrum, back-to-back. Now I want a light show to watch, because those shows were very heavy, in more ways than one. Like, I wish I had Shirobako to watch now, because that didn't make my head hurt or make my feelings hurt. Any recommendations? Check my MAL if you want.

3. TheBloodOfNight

TheBloodOfNight Base Burner

NHK ? I hated the main character, he ruined the show for me... its not like the show was even good to begin with...

4. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Your opinion is WRONG. Just kidding, I don't have a strong opinion of my own yet.

But I can say that, while the show is not for everyone, it is not bad. If you can't relate to the MC in any way (not necessarily as a hikikomori), then that's good for you. Everyone in the story has severe flaws. Not character flaws, but human flaws. The show starts with a limited scope--just one room. Here, we meet one obviously flawed character, Sato. He has issues--we know it, and he knows it. Yet when we expand our scope to the outside world, we notice some patterns. Everyone's got these problems, to some extent. Several characters realize this, and wrestle with the question--why is life so overwhelmingly bad? Who can we blame for this? Why do we struggle? The answer . . . is [SPOILERS]. (I'm not gonna write a full analysis in response to one and a half sentences.)

To some extent, appreciation of NHK relies on appreciation of irony. The story doesn't make you feel good, but it draws you in with images that may be familiar, but then it pushes it in a new direction. I certainly enjoyed the off-meeting arc, because the whole scenario was dripping with (dramatic) irony.

5. TheBloodOfNight

It was like the show stopped progressing for me ?(or nothing changed since the first eps?) Its hard to tell... its not a new show after all. I think my problem was the thing i just said. I would have to re-watch it again, in order to make some major points. I dont have such kind of time sadly, god ol times when i could finish bleach 3 times(well, "finishing" Is a wrong word, i always was like 20-60 eps short or something, i rewatched it because i had nothing to do while waiting for eps EDIT: ofc fillers too, i liked fillers) passed ! Btw: Do you feel the winter coming ? :p its getting foking cold out here and im getting kinda lazy + even more tired :p

6. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Say, are you excited for the Part 5 anime? I know Part 5 isn't the fan-favourite and sometimes ends up on a lot of people's last-place spot (or near there) when it comes to rating all parts. IIRC Part 5 had a poor translation which actually lost a lot of character development and so on. I think the anime will do Part 5 justice and maybe shine a new light on to the part, in a good way of course. (I haven't read Part 5, I also think there's a new manga translation in the works for it too.)

7. TheBloodOfNight

I just found a hidden gem i think, Eyeshield21. Do you know it ? It looks amazing, and i only watched 20 secs of some amv ! <--- xD

8. ParaLogia

It's not a story of triumphant success. Yamazaki says it best: "A drama has a progressive thought, an emotional climax and a resolution,but our lives aren't like that. All we get day after day, are a bunch of vague anxieties that are never really resolved." In the end of the story, there is a resolution of sorts, but it's not one where their problems are solved. It's just one step forward. Presumably the first of many. I most certainly wouldn't ask someone to rewatch a whole show if they didn't enjoy it in the first place.

Side question (for all): How often do you re-watch shows? I've only re-watched a few series, my favorites of all time. It allows you to appreciate some of the details you missed the first time through. I'm planning to re-watch Madoka Magica eventually. I wasn't able to get the most out of my first viewing because I had almost every plot twist spoiled to me (through reddit), so I was more concerned with thoughts like "Is THAT scene coming up now? Or is it later?" than I was with enjoying it.

Eyeshield 21 is pretty legit. I only read the manga, but I've heard the adaptation is good.

I'm excited for all JoJo. I look forward mostly to moments that I really enjoy, rather than the story as a whole. And I only stopped part 5 because there were no good quality scans. In fact, Vento Aureo has some of my favorite fights, and the protagonist is one of my favorites.

9. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

The main 3 anime that I rewatch at least once a year are Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Berserk.

I just love the nostalgia in how these are anines which have stories encapsulated into each episode, but there is also an overarching story that leads to a finale.

Unregularly I have watched both One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 again since both are amazing. I listen to the OPM soundtrack everyday with owning the cd ::P:

10. TheBloodOfNight

I dont, its very time consuming, i have hobbies which are more productive, ofc it doesnt mean anime is not important to me, i watched anime my whole life and i will continue since its very precious to me. When i want to re-watch something, i just watch an AMV.

joshua12131415 and SirDangalang like this.
  11. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

I have plans to re-watch some of my higher rated anime and shows I saw a while ago (to form a more recent opinion on them). So far I haven't got to re-watching anything, the show that's first on the list for a re-watch is definitely TTGL.

12. platy1knight

platy1knight Haxor Tester

Can i say something , i no understand anime , its not interesting . fite me triggered ppl

13. ParaLogia

Have you tried to understand? Inb4 I write an essay in response to a troll comment, but I like writing either way.

It's sort of like someone saying "I don't understand books; they're not interesting." It's not hard to imagine a person who might say that, but anyone who's ever enjoyed a read will know how silly that assertion is. Books are a medium for story-telling. They have countless genres, and they come in all sorts of lengths, styles, etc.

In the same way, anime is a medium. The same things apply. Sure, the most popular genres/tropes you find in modern anime are different from the popular ones in books or western movies. But making sweeping assumptions about all anime based on a handful of shows is like someone denouncing all books because they've only read Harry Potter X Twilight fanfiction on Tumblr.

One possible point in favor of "not understanding" anime is the language/culture barrier. There some concepts in the Japanese language/culture that do not translate well to westerners. Still, there exist anime shorts that don't rely on words to convey ideas. And there are anime that are Japanese in origin, but take heavy influence from other cultures.

Or maybe you're someone who can't take animation (in general) seriously. Maybe there's just something that holds you back from enjoying it. I'm not saying this is bad. For example, I can't take interpretive dance seriously, even though many people do. In cases like these, sometimes it just takes one or two positive experiences to expand your mind. I didn't like books, because I associated them with boring schoolwork. Yet one book changed that entirely. It was so different from everything I'd read before. There were exciting plotlines that drew me in. The characters were suddenly so life-like and interesting. I was invested. I was hooked.

If you're interested in finding such an experience, then there are resources for getting a good anime recommendation. If not, that's fine too. There's a million other things to do with your life (and one or two of them might be better than JoJo /s).

14. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

Anyone who feels this way literally should watch anything and I mean ANYTHING done by Satoshi Kon. I believe that this short clip explains just how amazing animation really can be as a medium for masterful storytelling.

joshua12131415 and ParaLogia like this.
  15. ParaLogia

Yeah, I love AMVs. It's an easy way to bring back the best memories from each show, in a short time. Plus, I get to listen to nice songs. Here are some of my favorite AMVs: (major spoilers)
    I also watch animated music videos for non-anime shows, like Steven Universe (SU), Over the Garden Wall (OTGW), and Avatar: The Legend of Korra (nevermind the videos got copyright-striked). Interestingly, I have no JoJo AMVs that I really enjoy.

16. TheBloodOfNight

Its rare for me to like the remixed voice :p
    Hajime no ippo Air Gear Hajime no ippo Bleach Akame ga kill Hajime no ippo Bleach Bleach Air gear Makaku city actors <--- i think .-.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2016
  17. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Harry Potter X Twilight fanfaction is THE GOOD STUFF(not really)

Finished reading Slam Dunk, and started reading Haikyuu!!! and Orange Marmalade

18. TheBloodOfNight

I hope no one will get mad, 1 post wasnt enough for me. x) Its way too good to not share.
    <--- fits so well

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2016
  19. Kazaco97

Kazaco97 Bison Rider Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yeah, the only things I've re-watched from shows are the OP's/ED's. Might watch the last episode of a series again if a sequel is coming out.

Been just catching up on my backlog. Currently watching Log Horizon, but stopped because of the annoying kids. Only thing I would probably watch from this season is Drifters.

@TheBloodOfNight could you spoiler each of your videos. It makes the page slow to load. Out of the listed I think Air Gear - Breathing is the best.

20. TheBloodOfNight

i love it too, its one of my favs after all :p

Mods: BlueLuigi