1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Read this first! Map Making Tutorial old

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Wonka, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonka

Wonka KAG Guard Tester

Hey ho!

Making a map is really easy but people often asking how it's done, so I decided to make this tutorial.

What you gonna need:
    - KAG (free- or full-version)
    - Paint.net (Gimp e.g. would work, too)
    - The Color-Palette

Extra:
    KAG Color-file for Paint.net

[​IMG]

gimp palette:
    GrafX2 palette:
    Open Paint.net and load the colors.
    Make a new file which is as big as you think your map will be. (Each pixel is one tile ingame)
    [​IMG]
    (btw sry that my programm isn't english)
    You may use bigger map sizes like 200x200(good server btw) but for the tutorial we use 32x64. 200x200 is also no big map there are even bigger maps because of the teamsize.

Now you will have to zoom in to see each pixel.
    Turning the grid on will help!
    Each pixel is one tile in game.

First thing you should do is fill everything with sky!
    And if you don't want to have a pit to fall to the death you should make bedrock on the bottom of the map, on the bedrock u could for example put some dirt for now.
    Example for an area with 2 pits in the mid and floating dirt:
    [​IMG]

Because floating dirt doesn't seem to be that normal we just make a mountain out of it by putting background where it's necessary. (sometimes some holes look also good so...)
    [​IMG]
    (I also added some ladders to get on top)

Now lets talk about the tents!
    Because of some kind of debug, cause tents sometimes stick into the ground, I always put tents one tile above the ground and between the tent and the ground there is one tile background, which you won't see on the server.
    [​IMG]

So like you may already have seen trees have more then one color.
    Trees:
    13,102,34 - stump (I never use)
    13,103,34 - trunk
    13,104,34 - branches
    13,105,34 - tree top
    13,254,34 - Only MM and Geti know!

A good tree for example looks like this:

But they don't always look the same it depends on different things how they actually look!
    Let's add the same tree at different positions to show you:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So now you know what I mean! (btw in editor u don't see tents!)

Also you shouldn't make a map full of dirt, put some different elements in the ground so that it looks more nice.

Some bedrock under the tent is always good, because sometimes you can't mine under the tent even if it is dirt.
    [​IMG]

One important thing is that you save it with 24-Bit Depth, otherwise all of your trees may look bad or everything but bedrock disappears.
    Save it as a .png!
    [​IMG]

That's the main thing you need to know on how to make it, you can also add an castle or build some other things in it like you may know from the maps on the server Rapid Deathmatch.

The maps have to be saved to C:\KAG\Base\Maps and you can open them by following these steps:

1.) First, you need to find and put your custom map into the games map folder (Program Files\KAG\Base\Maps) make sure it's .png

2.) After that you do that, you go to "Single Player" -> "Sandbox"

3.) You'll be in a randomly generated map, to get the map you specifically want, you have to
    go to in the console (aka "Home" button) and type in the "/loadbitmap [map's name].png"

If there is anything missing or you have any questions just let me know.

I wish you much fun with your new maps!​

2. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

Hi, this is a GIMP palette I created from the colors on the wiki. To use it just save it as a *.gpl file (for example: "kag.gpl") to your personal GIMP folder (on windows "C:\Users\MyUser\.gimp-2.6\palettes")

http://pastebin.com/u7jC9e8w

3. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Herp derp guess I should have looked before I posted!

4. Labla

Labla Shopkeep Stealer

I'm currently using GrafX2 for map editing. It's a bit different editor: specialized in 256-color drawing with pixel art in mind. Here is screenshot:

[​IMG]

I also created palette for KAG map making in JASC PAL format (it is very popular and supported by multiple programs): blinkkin.github.com/kag/palette.pal

5. Labla

Labla Shopkeep Stealer

It is, but can feel very awkward for people used to graphic editors from post-Photoshop era. There are some distinguished features, where you can feel lost:
    - changing working size of image is different, because there is no crop tool
    - coping/cutting/pasting is different, you use Brush Grab for this
    - palette is global, so when you change value of color in palette toolbar, specific color is also changed in image
    - background/foreground colors in palette - with left mouse button you are painting with foreground color, with right mouse button you are erasing pixels with background color (works for most tools this way)
    - working with pages - typically you have two instances of GrafX2, one where you paint, second for holding brushes, image parts and so on

If someone is interested in working with GrafX2, I've short and great tip: use [F1] key when hovering mouse over specific tool to get help page for that tool. Although I advice everyone that this editor is very different to everything you used before, so you can end up being in a little shock.

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yup, dump it in Base/Maps. I will see if this still works as of 228 as a few things changed, like can't generate a map.

7. Noburu

Yeah I dont even see the option to load a map in the menu anymore. You can still load a map in sandbox mode using
    "\rcon \loadmap mapname" and having the map in your Base/Maps folder.

You dont need to add.png to the end. I also dont know if the editor will even start now (havent tried).

Acavado and Rayne like this.
  8. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

Hi, being derpy for a sec and I need help.

I put the Paint.net color pallete code into a text document called ColorPallet.txt. And when I try to load it, all it does is up the file and not load it. Help?

9. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Leave it as KAG.txt is perfectly fine, put it in your palette folder (usually My Docs blah blah in some folders), then when you check your color palettes it'll showup.

10. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Thanks Rayne. I didn't know that. Can you also do /savebitmap in order to save it as a .png as well instead of a .kag?

11. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

If you are doing this on a server, you probably need to do "/rcon /loadbitmap mapname"

Addtionally, you don't really need the .png, it works without it. The name has to be exact as well [MCFMAP2] is different from [MCFMAP2]

so if you were doing it on a server it should be
    /rcon /loadbitmap MCFMAP2

if you aren't doing this on a server, you can leave off the /rcon

Lastly, make sure your map is in the correct folder which is the directory
    KAG\Base\Maps

12. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

What? but no such command exists. If you open a bitmap file ingame and edit it, it can only be saved with as a .kag file, not .png . This really sucks because it means you can't crop the map, add special tree parts or add tents after editing ingame.

13. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I was mistaken, as MM had said it was implemented, don't remember where.
    You have to save it with the editor save option, as that one still saves to .png format.
    To save to the new .kag, you must enter \savemap NAME into the console.

Eggnogg likes this.
  14. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Ach! But of course. I forgot we even had that button.

Rayne likes this.
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Sicarii Donator
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I've made 2 maps, but I dont know how to load them onto KAG(in sandbox), can u plz help

16. Noburu

You will need to put the maps in KAG/Base/Maps and then hit home in game to bring up the console. Then type /loadbitmap mapname

Kouji likes this.
  17. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Are you serious? I'm going to make a sticky now because you guys can't read 1 page back in this thread.
    It's been said several times here.

Noburu and Kouji like this.
  18. -Tj-

-Tj- Sicarii Donator

Where's the Home button?

19. Noburu

Next to pageup, pagedown, delete, and insert on your keyboard if you are using windows or linux.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Sicarii Donator

Oh stupid much, thxs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.