1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

I need something called "Purpose"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ffsff, Dec 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

I want to make more maps, what maps should I make?

What maps do you want?

2. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Haxor Staff Alumni

More ctf maps is always welcomed.::D:

3. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

TDM + mechanics = always needed

jimmyzoudcba and Gurin like this.
  4. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

I've never made TDM maps before, it should be fun to try my hand at them.

I saw a pallet for mechanisms a while ago on someone's resource, and I wonder if there are any official/semi-official mechanism pallets.

5. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

CTF with mechanisms too! As long as there's not too much (maybe in some abandoned base or something

6. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

Every mode needs mechanisms

I don't know the phrase "too many" when it comes to maps ::D:

7. enderzilla747

enderzilla747 Bison Rider Tester

Large body of water in center. Mountain floating above middle of lake, need ladders/bomb to get up there.

Clev likes this.
  8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: mechanisms and a palette - no there's no official one, because it'd be enormous and complicated and wouldn't work with most editors anyway because it involves transparency :)

How @Skinney and I did the vanilla ones: build the basics of the map, then get it in-game in a mode with builder and mechanisms, and build the mechs by hand, and use /savemap mapname.png to write out the results. Be careful with magazines and the like, as multiple save/load cycles will mess them up (if they're empty they get saved as "with a random item inside", if you save it again it'll only have that item).

Skinney, Vamist and Gurin like this.
  9. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

So if I were to save the map in-game and load that save sometime later, I should unload and reload the magazines, just to be sure, before saving again?

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yes, that's safest - or, using an editor that properly supports transparency (tbh a lot of them have trouble with low-alpha values), you can copy and move the relevant parts around. Using that, if you just want to edit one thing without unloading magazines, you can save the map to another file and do a bit of manual merging.

NOTE: when doing image editing, flipping them won't work for anything directional left/right (it'll be facing the wrong way, the direction is saved in the pixel) but it can still save a lot of time and hassle.

Other tips for mechanism TDM maps that we did a bad job of following in some cases:
    • Make sure the mechs contribute to the map in a replayable way; we spent a long time developing complicated shops and gambling machines but in the end people just want a cool arena to fight in.
    • Don't overuse them (very very easy to make a map annoying or predictable)
    • Be careful about them collapsing (there are a few vanilla maps where this is still a problem :( )
    • Try to avoid people being able to lock themselves in somewhere. There's always that guy sitting in there spamming 2525 flex flex finger and it's a waste of everyone's time.
    • Random dispenser drops and chests give a surprising amount of motivation and can be used to direct people where they might not otherwise go.

Sorry for the slow response over the holiday :)

11. Olimarrex

Olimarrex Ballista Bolt Thrower Official Server Admin

Did someone say "wires palette?"
    I made one for use in Paint.Net, it's a little confusing.
    :dirt_bg::dirt_bg::gold_bullion::dirt_bg:
    :gold_bullion::gold_bullion::gold_bullion::gold_bullion:
    :gold_bullion::gold_bullion::gold_bullion::gold_bullion:
    :dirt_bg::dirt_bg::gold_bullion::dirt_bg:
    This is meant to be a small arrow, it means that the current is flowing -->, or in cases of things like bolters, it'll be the direction it shoots, and in cases of pressure plates, it'll be the way the button is pointing.
    WirePalette.png

Biurza, Osmal, Geti and 3 others like this.
  12. Geti

nice - for anyone using this with photoshop and gimp at least though, you'll have to copy these pixels onto a fully transparent pixel; simply colour selecting from them will not take the alpha value.

13. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

This will help a lot, that is if I can come around to making a map design that I don't delete ::D: