1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Windows setting a custom resolution of 1366x786 doesn't work!

Discussion in 'Help' started by Shadowblitz16, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16 Ballista Bolt Thrower

I'm having problems getting kag to fit my screen in windowed mode.
    I set a custom resolution of 1366x786 and it goes outside my screen.
    I know this is a bug because I get a success message in the setup menu in the kag launcher and my screen resolution is the exact same.

I don't want to use full screen mode because it makes the game lag very badly (AND NO ITS NOT MY CONNECTION! DON"T ASK!)

2. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

first of all, full screen will always outperform windowed because when you are in windowed mode, your GPU will also have to render other things in the background like your taskbar, your background, the date/time, etc. when the game goes full screen, your computer no longer has to worry about rendering those things and thus will result in better performance. although your performance issues are likely the result of your CPU and not your GPU, so there isnt much you can do about that except closing out as many programs as possible before starting.

just set the resolution to something less than 1366x768, try 1300x700. the issue is that a couple builds back, the developer attempted to make windowed gaming less of a hassle by trying to automatically adjust your resolution, but as you can see, it is pretty buggy.
    [​IMG]
    last time i checked, 1920x1200 is not less than 1920x1200 @Geti do you want me to make a formal bug report or leave a message on irc

Osmal likes this.
  3. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16 Ballista Bolt Thrower

well it seems I can get the exact width just not the exact height.

I also have tried setting it to a slightly less vertical resolution to make it not overlap my taskbar but it still seems to resize it to either a bigger resolution or a smaller resolution.

4. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

yea it's quite finicky, once geti has time to check the thread, he might have an answer to your issue. just be patient, he might be busy this week with other stuff.
    you can try fullscreen with a lower resolution, you might have good performance

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yeah the messages aren't great. I'm thinking of just changing it to a warning or at least providing an override flag.

The reason for this code is that windows (and many windowing systems on linux, and afair the OSX window manager as well) will forcibly resize a window that "wont fit" on the screen - this includes the window bar, which is a user-configurable height greater than or equal to zero.

Irrlicht is actually really terrible at handling this happening, so the current behaviour is a workaround to set the resolution to at most the current desktop resolution.

Irrlicht can't do undecorated windowed mode, so we don't have the option for "fullscreen windowed".

Sidenote: I'm not meant to be on KAG this week but MM was away last week and I need to sync up with him so I'm working a little on KAG as well.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey