1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing "Iron Armada", a standalone Shiprekt clone made in Java/Kotlin (PROGRAMMERS WANTED)

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Chrispin, Apr 21, 2017.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

Hey guys, I would like to present to you one of the latest projects I have been involved with, Iron Armada!

[​IMG]

What is Iron Armada?
    Iron Armada is a multiplayer, team-based, multi-crew, ship-to-ship action game.

Harvest resources while defending your team's mothership. Construct frigates, fighters, and stations to fight against hostile forces. Play as a key part of your team, board enemy cruisers, kill their crew, and commandeer enemy craft. Wage all out war until your faction emerges victorious. With multiple ways to play, no two rounds are ever the same.

In other words.... it's Shiprekt, except in space!

But enough of that, let's skip to some gameplay:

Have I caught your attention? I hope so, it's been in development for almost a year now by our small LLC, "Drakeling Labs". We've been making some great progress over the months, and while the game is a blast to play in its current state with 32+ player battles, we need your help to grow the game even larger!

Our team currently consists of some excellent talent:
    • Lucas Melo - our amazing pixel artist (see some of his artwork work for our game below)
    [​IMG]
    • Osmal - our excellent sound designer and new recruit (a sample of weapon sounds can be heard below)

We also have several programmers versed in Java, including Mushrooms, Cubba, Simon, and myself. However, due some complications, whether it be real-life events, motivation issues, or unmet skill requirement, we have been unable to progress as quickly as we would like to.

That's why we are currently outreaching for new recruits. If you have a decent understanding of Java/Kotlin, or even a willingness to learn and transfer your knowledge from other languages, then we want YOU! Throw me a PM or post on this thread that you're interested in helping out and we can get underway.

We have an immediate list of features we would like to implement now, including:
    • finding and importing a good sound library/engine
    • setting up a particles system (we have a very basic one right now)
    • getting effects to trigger over network events
    • a number of small quality-of-life tasks
    If you are up to the task, you can expect some reasonable pay as well!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The main library we are using to develop this game is libGDX, and we are programming in both Java and Kotlin.

For those interested, we are currently in an open alpha. You can actually download the latest public client and hop into the server right now! Just visit our Discord, maybe say hello to our community, and then check out the pinned messages for download information:
    https://discord.gg/wzfyrqh

For more information, visit our official Steam store page here:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/581910/

... or our Steam Greenlight page:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814094246

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Blubahub, norill, Solaris and 22 others like this.
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Oh nice, congrats! Glad it's getting "proper game" treatment as it's a very fun idea, I think.

Will link it on twitter and whatever. Wish I had time to help you guys out but I'm stretched pretty thin between contract work and THD stuff at the moment! Best of luck with it!

E: looks like it's already greenlit? Good stuff

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  3. AgentHightower

AgentHightower Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester Official Server Admin
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Amazing!, I will be very excited to play this game when it releases, Great luck to you guys on the game!

PUNK123 likes this.
  4. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Haxor Staff Alumni

Wow very nice. I wish you luck with your game. I've been watching videos on it and it seems really nice for what it has to offer so far.::D:

5. Chrispin

Thank you guys, the support from the community is what keeps us motivated! Especially coming directly from players that helped to keep Shiprekt alive and fun. Thanks for the mention Geti. I hope we'll do a good job of passing on a great legacy

Osmal and AgentHightower like this.
  6. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I'm waiting for someone to make a shiprekt texture pack for this game or vice versa. I doubt it would work though. ::D:

Magmus and GoldenGuy like this.
  7. king-george

king-george Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Really cool stuff! I'll consider buying it :thumbs_up:

8. JaytleBee

JaytleBee Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. [Server] Sandbox Reborn

I'm interested in working on it (also I'm on the discord too) can you shoot me a DM so we can talk some details?

9. AvadaKedav

AvadaKedav Bison Rider Staff Alumni Donator

Looks awesome :)

10. Magmus

Magmus Ballista Bolt Thrower Mapping Moderator Official Server Admin

Looks really good,, Nice work everyone :smug:

will kag players get a free copy?
    :potato:

Biurza and BarsukEughen555 like this.
  11. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

The closest you'll get is just the Shiprekt mod ::D:

PUNK123 and Magmus like this.
  12. BarsukEughen555

BarsukEughen555 Ballista Bolt Thrower

do u accept betatesters with crappy pc's? C:

Magmus likes this.
  13. platy1knight

platy1knight Haxor Tester

Nice , the only thing bugging me is the awkward cursor and player movment

asger75 likes this.
  14. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

Shadap and take my money!:gold::gold_mat::gold_bullion::gold_b:

15. Bluedrake42

Bluedrake42 Catapult Fodder

Wow thanks so much for all the support guys =) I had to setup my email just to login to these forums xD
    feel free to join our Discord =) and we'd love to brainstorm ideas for the game with the KAG community <3
    our roots are here, so we enjoy bringing in all the creative ideas from the Shiprekt community =)
    oh also we're the ones who have been hosting the "Last Shiprekt Server" server =P

Fellere825, Geti, Biurza and 5 others like this.
  16. Chrispin

Both ways are actually perfectly possible to do, it'll just be a massive mismatch in sprite resolution. Compare Shiprekt's 8x8 pixel block artwork vs Iron Armada's HD 4k ultra deluxe 32x32 pixel blocks haha. Then there's the task of turning the space background into a deep beautiful bodacious solid flat matt-blue background with little animated waves
    Yea we're still working on it. Haven't quite gotten to the point where we feel comfortable doing small tweaks, but the "lag-cursor" is something that we hope to remove with client predictive networking

platy1knight, Biurza, mcrifel and 4 others like this.
  17. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

This looks promising, hope it all goes well!

18. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

This is ace. I look forward to playing it in the future.

Osmal, Magmus and Biurza like this.
Mods: BlueLuigi