1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

IRC Channel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kagesha, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Im 12 and wat is dis? Please elaborate your question is too vague.

Bammboo and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  2. MeAtItzFinest

MeAtItzFinest Horde Gibber

Your 12 and your signature says motherf*ckers... u r... just...wow

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Sicarii Donator
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I think you just got trolled....
    Tbh IRC is pretty irrelevant when playing clan wars because most people use skype or mumble to communicate instead of typing, because its much easier then switching tabs all the time to type.

Asu and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  4. IRC is primarily used to collaborate on ideas before the clan war, as it offers pretty easy logging and doesn't use much bandwidth.

5. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Haha look this man can't internet.
    To IRC? It's obviously not a useful tool when it comes to actual ingame communication, noone ever claimed that, though it's really all your chat needs. And nothing more, which makes it clean, readable and pretty compact (there's 2x more space and every post takes 3x less space than in Skype for example). It's also easy to join, manage. It's doing really well, considering it's 26 years old. Really. It's like, so fucking old. It was before the 90s. The Soviet Union was still a thing. Berlin was still cut in half by the fucking wall. It took 10 more years for Google to even be born. And skype? Haha, don't even ask.
    IRC is really all you need.

Vampire likes this.
  6. Juaro

Juaro Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Holy shit Ferne, necro much?

Tern, Bammboo, Fernegulus and 2 others like this.
  7. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

8. Hakma

Hakma Catapult Fodder

yea ok ill join

Mazey likes this.
  9. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Ok nice see you there
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 9, 2015, Original Post Date: Jul 9, 2015 ---
    Mazey why didn't you like my post

Mazey and Hakma like this.
  10. fuyukikun

fuyukikun Bison Rider

No one is ever on this...

Attached Files:

11. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

#DiscordMasterRace

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm honestly pretty disappointed with the rise of discord and slack and co. Imagine what could have been done if the cumulative dev effort had gone into nicer irc clients and services. I guess that's harder to monetise though :)

Noburu and fuyukikun like this.
  13. Pirate-Rob

Pirate-Rob Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

I think Discord is more like a teamspeak/skype replacement as opposed to an IRC one, but ye, it's sad IRC isn't being used as much anymore.

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yeah discord does have all the voice stuff I guess, I remember the mumble servers started going down when it came out, but all the text stuff is very irc-y, just in a more nicely presented package. Slack in particular (very common for work) is almost 1:1 with irc, and only got voice calls semi-recently.

15. Monsteri

IRC requires far more setup to have all the same functions, I think that's the crux of it. I like Discord and Slack, just wish they were more lightweight and had less fancy animations, more robust functions.

16. i don't understand why anyone would bloat their pc with a way more intensive comm than IRC which only benefit of is being able to be disturbed by voices of other users while you are watching or listening to sth

IRC master race

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  17. Monsteri

Well yeah no way I'm installing that shit, using them through your web browser is the way to go. Then just use them when you need to, otherwise have them installed on phone so you get the alerts anyway if there's something important.

18. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Discord is an abomination.

bunnie, AgentHightower and Biurza like this.
  19. fuyukikun

fuyukikun Bison Rider

very much agree ]

20. I always forget the password and IRC channel names so I use discord instead