1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2248 - Heads Pack, Community Fixes, Script Textures and Personal News!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 13, 2017.

1. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

• Is now a good time to get into modding or are more changes coming?
    • I haven't opened kag once since the update so before I do, does anyone want a copy of my base folder?
    • Can there be secret achievements that unlock secret heads? It's like rewarding skilled players by giving them a head so they can show off their awesomeness, and it sets a goal for new players to continue playing more to get better.
    • That's all

2. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

Congratulations, man!

Nice to see a new build also and the planned implementation in C++, looking forward to that! Now go and enjoy your honeymoon!

EDIT: I hope this is the chilean flag and not the texas one xD
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Geti, norill and erik102003 like this.
  3. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Congrats Geti! I'm also interested in the standalone heads DLC.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Thanks for all the congratulations folks! We had a lovely time on our honeymoon and I'm slowly getting back into the groove of work (mostly drowning under a mountain of unread emails, messages, tags and the like, but I'll clear them out...).

Will aim for a small build in the next few weeks handling any issues with this build and sorting out the github mirror/subrepo situation - currently the repos are still separate and we have to manually merge changes both ways, but it shouldn't be too much work to get the subrepo set up again internally now that all these separate feature branches are merged in (finally!)

Thanks, will check that out today, probably just a difference in how they're counted.

Nope, not intentional, the quarters just doesn't know about DLC heads :) Will see what I can do about it.

Folks are right about the game logic only running at 30fps, but I believe you about the performance. KAG is notorious for running badly with AMD CPUs of most ilks I'm afraid.
    It runs fine (in my experience at least) with any desktop i5 and up (and I can play ~16-20 player servers with minimal lag on a laptop i5 as well). Most folks skimp a bit on the CPU for gaming computers to beef up their graphics card, which KAG doesn't utilise at all.

You're right that multithreading would help KAG, but you're also right that it's unlikely to happen. KAG is technically a multithreaded app but the only things that are done in parallel are things like API requests - everything game-wise is handled in one thread. There have been a few attempts at adding partial multithreading to the game but they never go well I'm afraid, none of the engine-side data structures were really designed with it in mind, and the scripts make a lot of assumptions about being run single-threaded as well.

It is, you're safe :) We're not doing per-state USA flags at this point.

It's possible, but not really much easier with the dlc head system - it's possible to have requirements per-head-pack, but not per-head at this point. It could be added, but the GUI code is all pretty nasty.

Changes are always coming but they are rarely "breaking". Particularly as we have a public repository for the base/ folder, you can always see any changes (and revert them for your modded server).

5. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

6. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

I have some additional comments on this.
    I read the modifications and I believe I see an issue. I'll test it out today.
    Edit: Added feedback.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. PooManCHU

PooManCHU Shopkeep Stealer

Thank you for the reply, i5 CPU's are very expensive were i am in New Zealand, but because KAG apart from api only uses one core is there really a need for a four core i5's, the kaby lake Pentiums with 2 cores and hyper-threading have similar single thread performance to them while being a fraction of the price. just wondering if you have any experience with KAG on Pentiums. at the time i wasn't really skimping on the CPU but that was five years ago haha.

8. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Modern pentium should be pretty good for KAG, including server hosting. But ideally a double core CPU should bring a bit more performance (background processes and a little more free area for the Windows task scheduler).

9. PooManCHU

that's true, as-well as things like windows media player for music, but the new G4560 has hyper threading so if i set KAG priority to high it would most likely take up 100% of the first core, but the second one would still be 90% free as-well as the logical core's for those type things right? what do you think

10. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

I can't say I know a lot about hyper-threading, but it sure should help the Windows scheduler for a bit, though I doubt the OS has much control of what happens underneath.
    Though I have a i5 which should have a similar single-core performance to the G4560 (which is Haswell as well, pun not intended) and in a (((regular, non 500 shark spam))) KAG gameplay you should be largely safe. But if you plan playing other games on that setup a Pentium is hardly future-proof, if you can take up a i3 from the same generation or, even better, from gen 6xxx for a couple more bucks it's clearly better.
    E: I'm not sure if AMD released low-end Ryzen CPUs yet, but they're much, much better than their older generations. It should pretty much nearly close the gap with Intel CPUs in terms of IPC.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Got no experience with the new pentiums in particular but looking at the specs they'd probably be fine. Desktop I'm currently on is an i5-4690 - it's technically "end of life" now but runs KAG capably.

Doesn't have to be anything flashy and if you're planning on building something just to run KAG (which is admirable if a bit worrying, haha) I'd definitely at least consider the pentiums to keep your budget low.

Another thing that can help with KAG perf is an SSD to cut down on load time and intermittent config file logging cost - the latter is a common cause of early slowdown on budget laptops with particularly slow HDDs. Small SSDs are pretty cheap (under a hundred bucks) and reliable these days. Not sure how availability of them is across the Tasman though.

If you do go ahead with the build please make a thread here and keep us in the loop. Would be interested in how it goes (and I hope for success whichever way you go!)

Biurza likes this.
  12. PooManCHU

thanks for the insight, my plan is nor really to future proof, because if im being honest i have little to no interest in the triple a games industry. because of the the publishers and suits. it's not the devs. take Bethesda for example the dev team the OG's not Montreal, they make the game's we enjoy, like skyrim and oblivion, also the games we loved like dagger fall and morrowind. that's Bethesda game studios, to bad the people in charge, aka todd Howard, Bethesda softworks and ZeniMax Media dont want to make a good game they want to make money, how they do this is by catering to the lowest denominator i.e dumming down, instead of trying to get people to switch there brains on like the gamer's of yesteryear. also have you seen the info around EA's star-wars battlefront 2, already has pay 2 win, the first one EA released only had grind 2 win witch is still tripe,besides i live out in the wops in NZ the biggest town within 100km only has bloody console games. my internet connection is less than 3mbps most of the time around 2-2.5 mbps so i can forget about downloading the newest triple a games witch have download files over 25 gb most of the time nowadays, so if anything i am waiting for my internet to be upgraded i currency have 20 year-old copper running up my road and who knows when fiber will be coming, also i pay 100$ a month for this pathetic speed, but hey that's New Zealand baby, still wouldn't go any where else, anyway i am ranting now probably rather incoherently.

thank you for the reply, when i said just to play KAG that was i bit of a stretch, most of the games i play are pixel art 2d or 2.5 d games like KAG, i have always loved pixel art games, well since primary school, that is where i discovered free internet flash games. game mainly from the devs knows as nitrome. mt favs are off the rails square meal Bad ice cream Skywire Thin ice and sky serpents. my all time fav nitrome game being Tanked Up. and there are so many more i played and loved but sadly cant remember. the pixal art game i play now are KAG, Kingdoms, pixel piracy,Minecraft and i know what everyone thinking, but as someone who played minecraft since alpha i hate whats it's become as much as anyone else, for the past 3 years i have only played the 1.5.2 version of minecraft with the ultra hardcore realistic mod better than wolves, also i bit of terrafirmacraft and can you believe that outrageous price tag 45$ it's was 15 when me and my friend got it. Nidhogg, Crawl, Domina, Shovel knight, Neoscavenger. the list could go on and on. as for my non pixel art games they are the one i grow up with like arpgs like diablo and titan quest, and rts's like age of empires/mythology and the guild 2. and to say build i new pc is a bit of a stretch as-well, i would just be buying a CPU and motherboard. i already have PSU GPU ram drives and fans.

about the ssd thing bought a 60gb ssd back in 2013 and have been running KAG of it for a long time now. yep i can make a thread when i go ahead with the build, it may be a while because i already have my spare cash tied up in my new bow fund, i am a traditional archer irl just in my spear time, it's funny because i hate archers in game, KAG but i am one irl haha, alright i have waffled on for long enough cheers Geti have a good one

joshua12131415 and bunnie like this.
  13. MillerTheRealRacoon

MillerTheRealRacoon Catapult Fodder

Hello mighty creator.
    I'd like to ask if it's possible for you to make something like 1-to-1 comparison? Like
    (inserts a head here) : (inserts what country is it)

Some heads are pretty recognizable, but some like mine(Malaysia) are hard to find out from all those tiny-packed heads. Thanks::):

14. Geti

@MillerTheRealRacoon - hi, I'll put this on my to-do list.
    For Malaysia, I think this is the one you want!
    [​IMG]

15. MillerTheRealRacoon

MillerTheRealRacoon Catapult Fodder

Phew, glad I guessed my head correctly.

Geti likes this.