1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

New uses for gold in CTF

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by 8x, Jul 16, 2017.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. 4zK

4zK Horde Gibber Staff Alumni

buff the freaking sponges already

sry off-topic again

2. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Aus has enough trouble filling one server, let alone two!

3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Needless complexity isn't even a fraction of tth's problem, the real issue is that tth cannot be played competently without that complexity. This suggestion just adds an optional layer to the game that you don't want, but it won't cause ctf to flounder like tth does. There also aren't obscure benefits (you would lower the price for your item) and the gold upgrade could be obvious(visual change or button at the shop that says upgrade already bought like with the bomb bolts).

Personally I'm fine with stationary shops protected at base made with gold and they will obviously help at the front lines. Saying a knight shop(upgraded or not) at spawn would not help on the front lines is as idiotic as saying that a siege shop protected at base will not help at the front lines.
    I don't think faster resupplies or cheaper weapons would cause you to lose faster vs a tunnel or siege system. You just are choosing offense over control, which at times could be needed.

People already make this choice generally between bomb bolts ballistas and tunnels. Gold can be changed on the maps ingame rn so there is no real reason why the suggestion can't be balanced. At the end of the day 10 random internet people are gonna screw you over(your team is usually 50% braindead).

BarsukEughen555 and bunnie like this.
  4. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

The idea of making gold more meaningful sounds interesting to me. Upgrades is one possibility, but perhaps complicated.

Here's an idea. What if all collected gold counted towards a sort of secondary goal? I mean, sure CTF is about capturing flags, but perhaps teams could work towards more than one goal, sort of like team achievements on per-match basis. Even though a team loses, they might have done something right/well. Resources collected. Coins earned. Coins spent. Bombs thrown. Etc. Perhaps they could also give the team slight buffs, such as flag capture/return time.

(I'm surprised Geti is discussing changes like this at this time, since I got the impression "long ago" he was pretty much done with the game, but anyways.. nice to see)

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Someone brought up server bills - they're not actually the problem at the moment cause @jrgp is incredibly generous with his pricing - the problem is more the costs of labour; I'm not going to do a detailed breakdown but there's not much left after support and maintenance for proper dev. KAG is not covering the bills for me at the moment (hasn't for months) so I can't spend much time on it. Managed to get a build out before going away on my honeymoon though so there's some life yet.

This has been floated a few times, some sort of stats system would be good but it needs to be careful to not chew even more performance for something that doesn't directly contribute to the game.

I'm not really keen for that kind of stuff feeding directly into the game in the sense of providing buffs or whatever though.

I've been "done" for a while but I'll probably keep coming back as long as there's enough of a community. This kind of thing is honestly probably out of scope for me though at this point; but i'm happy to discuss it.

I think a lot of people would be open to some fresh air. It's something that more casual players are often unsatisfied with (no constant new content).
    The mode/player base division is an important point. I think it's something that people would like to at least be able to host it easily though, if it were to happen. Any time we do "breaking" changes there's a small handful of people who lament that they can't go back.

6. Vermilicious

Yeah, let's just be honest and say KAG has gone a bit.. stale. A good while ago. There are different reasons for this, I'm sure. Some of it has surely been talked about already, so I'm not going to bring back all of that again.

Keeping things fresh is the trick, I think, and the occasional tweak or nerf/buff is rarely a good substitute for "content". The early days of KAG, at least the time it was still early for my own part, there were still new stuff happening, but there was also a whole lot of changes and complaints about them. Certainly, the game needed many of those changes, but they seemed less important at the time, when the game still had plenty of wind in the sails.

A plan for future content would've been a good idea, I think, and ideas of how to fund them. At this time, the stream is not large enough and the people working on it are either just tired of it or busy doing other things. We've now seen both trading cards and a DLC making appearances, but it's a bit too little and too late. The willingness to take a risk is perhaps not as big now either. Fortunately, it's much easier to flip this around these days, when it comes to funding. I'm thinking of crowdfunding of course. Perhaps that is something to consider. There is a certain fairly loyal fanbase that might want to contribute. I know I would personally be very excited about a..ahem.. sequel of sorts. Perhaps just a freshed-up version. I know I'm not the only one. Heh. Really, you struck gold. It would be a shame to shut down the mine when there's still a lot of ore left.

And what ever happened to King Arthur? I've never seen him!

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This one definitely has an extra layer for one or two particularly old players, but it looks like he stopped playing in classic ;)
    [​IMG]

I'd be interested in a sequel but as I've said - not for a while. I don't want to develop it with the existing engine and I don't want to write it from scratch at the moment; and something like unity is definitely not on the cards for me either after the trouble both butcher and the transmigration team had with it.

I've thought of crowdfunding but I worry enough about being beholden to community expectations as it is - if they'd shelled out another a few years of money to get something like that off the ground there'd be a lot of rightfully entitled voices pulling the game in different directions. We'd need to have a solid plan of attack from the get go and there simply isn't one at the moment.

As for new content; a gamemode is possibly the simplest way to go about this, as it allows remixing existing content. I'll think about it, but there's a lot of "small stuff" I need to check off first. I should start a separate discussion about it though, probably.

8. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

4 words,
    King Of The Hill

also how did we get here from a gold usage suggestion?

9. Geti

1. Gold usage in CTF
    2. Maybe split CTF gamemodes
    3. Maybe different gamemodes
    4. ???
    5. Profit

10. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Just letting you know, if i ever win in a lottery im going to put at least 5% into KAG 2 crowdfunding :wink:

FuzzyBlueBaron, l3afysamz and Geti like this.
  11. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I always said to myself if my family ever won the lottery id buy thd or something and get em going.

l3afysamz likes this.
  12. Croco-Dile

Croco-Dile The Reptilian Donator

50%*

FuzzyBlueBaron, Geti and Lava like this.
  13. enderzilla747

enderzilla747 Bison Rider Tester

"Maybe different gamemodes"
    *Intense breathing for Zombie Fortress to become Official again and fully completed*

THE ONE FROM ALPHA WAS 30% OF WHAT WAS PLANNED ACCORDING TO THE DEV LOGS. :X3:

BarsukEughen555 likes this.
  14. Vermilicious

Oh, I did not know you had been messing around with Unity. From what I've seen though, Unity is probably not the best choice for a 2D game, I think. There are some other interesting engines out there though (GameMaker, maybe?), but I have no practical experience with them (yet). I can fully understand that making a new game engine is not very attractive to put it mildly.

Yes, that is a challenge. I have seen many kcikstarter campaigns where they did several mistakes in my view, such as promising:
    • too much (pre-determined) content
    • a set delivery time
    • gifts and rewards
    • being part of the process
    Most want to be in the loop, by hearing and seeing what's going on. Some want to have a say in what is being made. You can never quite get rid of it, but you can be clear about the limitations from the start. Some campaigns had very few promises, but were still successful.

That is actually not a bad idea. I've had lots of fun with the zombie modes, and I've said so before. Probably because it's (usually) PvE rather than PvP. These mods work rather well for some time. I mean, the AI is pretty rough, and there's just no good long-term goal. But, there's not a whole lot of new ideas to come up with. All the resources are there for using. I started out at my own variant, but unfortunately I haven't touched it in quite a while. The concept was a bit vague anyway. I'm sure someone could come up with a decent concept. I think it would be fairly easy. Perhaps not as complete as what was originally planned, which is unknown to me.

Mods: Rainbows