1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

CTF PooManCHU_Core Gaia[REJECTED]

Discussion in 'Rejected Maps' started by PooManCHU, Sep 20, 2017.

?

Good Map?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Needs changing

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. PooManCHU

PooManCHU Shopkeep Stealer

Name: Core Gaia Edit3
    Symmetrical: Y
    Special features : 2 flags per team one in red zone on each side.
    more than one path.
    and now the elephant in the room, the core.what some would say "gimmick" of the map, it's this maps true special feature, the core contains half of the maps mat's in it and over half of the maps gold, during build phase there is enough stone at base for building, just requires a bit more digging than most maps, and stone veins are also marked by underground caves. but during mid to end game most of the stone at the bases will be gone eventually driving the teams to fight over the core, the core it's self is a poor place for a base, as keg's can be dropped on any wanna-be base getting established, builders would be better off trying a hit and run for mats with a knight helping, it's hard either way.
    The middle islands are quite good for knight fighting.
    This map is a little experimental but i think it could be really fun

Map:.png PooManCHU_CoreGaia_Edit3.png

In Game: KAG 2018-02-07 18-52-23-45.png KAG 2018-02-07 18-52-43-31.png KAG 2018-02-07 18-53-16-38.png KAG 2018-02-07 18-53-39-48.png KAG 2018-02-07 18-54-35-09.png

Edit: Added more bed rock to to core, this stops tunnels that are built within the core from becoming Keg proof and OP, this change is important becasue mats can not be stolen if they are brought back with the tunnel, a tunnel may still be built on top this is ok becasue it would be subject to keg drops and in general a lot more flak. i thank HelloHuman for pointing this out to me in a conversation we had. idea props go to him
    View attachment 61296
    added in Edit3 :Made the hill opposite first flag slightly less pronounced and raised first flag hill by one block
    :Added a new side cave to further help defenders against rat attacks from below
    :Added more holes in the back wall to let in more light to the main tunnel
    :Added about 10 more stone and a couple of more gold blocks, i also made it so to don't have to mine so deep to get the gold at base.

Please let me know what you think of these edits

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

whenever i try to get a good look at this map the abyss absorbs my soul

3. PooManCHU

it will do more than that, it will consume your whole body too, for the closest look i would use a paint program, much safer that way

4. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

Rejected, once a team gets at the edge of the other team which could happen in the initial push it is gg. Main gimmick of this map is going to get ignored seeing as its in a place where no one would go and if someone is foolish enough to go for the stone there they will get stomped into oblivion. And seeing as 90% of stone is there it will be a very wood heavy bland match.

5. PooManCHU

hello joop, about the "once a team gets at the edge of the other team which could happen in the initial push it is gg" thing that can happen on every map currently in the cycle if a team has no knight rush there screwed it doesn't matter what map, so that point doesn't really make sense too me.
    that being said i think i can change the hill above flag one to be less pronounced so if the other team takes it they wont be able to stomp as well.

in another rejected map thread you gave me some points here's one of them "Having a point to control makes progress in the map easier and reduces the change of stalemates and relying on rush tactics like bomb arrows which most people would agree is not a fun way to play this is not just my opinion on it" so what would you like me too do have a lot of branching paths or a couple, becasue it seems there's an issue both ways.

"Main gimmick of this map is going to get ignored seeing as its in a place where no one would go and if someone is foolish enough to go for the stone there they will get stomped into oblivion. And seeing as 90% of stone is there it will be a very wood heavy bland match"
    i think that's pretty unfair to say no one would go there for starters there's gold on top that's intensive enough for most people also for ratters because of the second flags location the the core as an important stepping stone to the cave wall you can tunnel in some locations from there. about the bland wood match, even without the core there is enough stone at bases to have a fun match, there is quite alot you just have to mine for it, but i can add some more and mark out area under the ground more with cavity's

6. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

That would help the map out a lot.

I don't get your second paragraph, I don't see this map turning into a stalemate, those were comments on a different map that are unrelated to this one.

Paragraph 3, I think it is pretty fair to say, the gold isn't enough reason to throw your life away, going to that middle bit gives 0 advantages, you only get into a difficult spot to get out from and are below the flag, while there exists a location above it which is miles better. There is very very little stone outside of the middle bit except if you want to grab the map file and look for all the individual specs and mine 10 dirt blocks to get to each one.

All in all there are a lot of flaws with this map, I am not going to sugarcoat it. You could fix them but you'd be making a new map with the original gimmick thrown aside. Anyway I am going to stop this rambling post now and go to bed.

7. PooManCHU

sorry joop got the two threads of mine you replied too mixed up with the second paragraph. thank you for not sugarcoating it. i will make the fixes then re submit
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017, Original Post Date: Dec 5, 2017 ---
    im working on the changes now joop new version should be up soon also i just wanted to say something about the last comment, i said in another rejected map thread you gave me some points here's one of them then i quoted you "Having a point to control makes progress in the map easier and reduces the change of stalemates and relying on rush tactics like bomb arrows which most people would agree is not a fun way to play this is not just my opinion on it"
    to that you replied...
    "I don't get your second paragraph, I don't see this map turning into a stalemate, those were comments on a different map that are unrelated to this one"
    saying those were comments on a different map that are unrelated to this one, well that's not completely true, i should have explained my self better at the start comment i was referring to you wrote Just some quick points: then proceeded to give me both tips specific to that map the tips that were just general good tips that could be used for any map.
    im just a bit confused you see, when my last map got rejected one of the reasons was "No real mid to capture determine a point of a map you control which makes progressing in the map hard" you then explained more in depth by saying "Having a point to control makes progress in the map easier and reduces the chance of stalemates. but then when this map got rejected to said
    "once a team gets at the edge of the other team which could happen in the initial push it is gg" can you see why a im confused, in the first comment the map is rejected becasue it would be a stalemate, and in the second comment the map is rejected for the opposite reason. do i just not have to right balance yet.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 10, 2017 ---
    multiple edits to the map to make gameplay more viable and enjoyable, please let me know what you think and what i should add next to further improve

edited map .png PooManCHU_CoreGaiav2.png
    edits made:
    1: the two small towers on each side of the mid islands were moved forward and lowered, this was done becasue the towers og position would have allowed for easy stomping and kegging of the back flag.
    1.5: i also raised the height of spawn and the back flag to help alleviate the same issues from edit 1
    3: added more stone to spawn, about 15 more blocks each side, i also marked all the large stone veins underground with cavity's to make resources hunting much more efficient and fun.
    3: i made a few changes to the front flag too, including a extension the the cave system going underneath the flag this is to give the team easy access to the walls of the Ravine, but it also make's offensive ratting more viable. above the flag is a new small dirt island with no bedrock so it lasts as long as it lasts, but while it's there it allows knights to get up to the islands up top, it's not that easy you need to know to to preform some fancy jumps.
    3.5: added some ledges to the Ravine walls, under the fount flag this combined with the cave above makes building down below the flag alot better, it's also helps to make the jump over from the core to the wall alot less deadly. the top ledge is big enough to protect tunneling builders from some above flak these changes make ratting from blow the flag much more viable than in the last version of the map, also there is a new island between the wall and the core.
    4: the second tier mid islands were moved down to make getting down to the core alot more seamless and better
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 15, 2017 ---
    i have made significant edits to the map, could it please be moved back into applications. and/or can someone tell me if changes were good, and if they fixed some of the issues the map had, that would be great .if you want in game pics just let me know

mcrifel likes this.
  8. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

1. Maybe more resources would be cool.
    2. The sides going down towards the center are gonna be easy prey for rats, and be really annoying to defend (around the area with the bits of gold).

Other than that, this map looks pretty fun and original.

9. PooManCHU

thanks for the input mate, i will make a few changes
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 7, 2018, Original Post Date: Dec 17, 2017 ---
    I have made some edits to the map mate, the details are in the pics and down the bottom under edit 3 let me know what you think

Didgedy likes this.
  10. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

Overall good edits, but what I was thinking about was more along the lines of this.
    PooManCHU_CoreGaia_Edit3.png
    I made a speedy edit (so it doesn't look very pretty), but my main problem was that, considering that this map is very large, a hard to defend ramp for rats to jump on would've been really annoying for the defending team.
    With the ramp gone, I would love to play this map. The map-cycle is really missing originality, so it needs more maps like this.

11. PooManCHU

what do you think of this edit, i added more bedrock so the gap for rats to get though is only 7 blocks wide, i also changed the ledge PooManCHU_CoreGaia_Edit4.png

bunnie likes this.
  12. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

Perfect. I'd love to play this map.

PooManCHU and bunnie like this.
  13. PooManCHU

thanks man im glad you like it
    i was just wondering down and to the left of the ledge gold the bedrock is hollowed out quite a bit, it's well big enough for a rat tunnel, if one was built there it could become quite pesky becasue on the bedrock wall on one side and the slight overhang above, i could change it so rat tunnel's would have to be built out on the ledge were they could be keged more easily, whats your opinion bro should i change it or leave it as is

14. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

Yeah, that's true. Ratting is usually a pretty big problem on larger maps (specifically height), so i would be entirely for anything that disturbs ratting deep in the map.

15. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

The map has poor resource spread(no idea how anyone would find the scattered gold on the map(the ones that arent visible on the surface specifically). Death pit on the bottom with an island for people to get stuck on also didnt appear to be popular on cerbero's rift(and doesnt seem like it would be here). Id have fun playing on the map but i dont think people new to the game would have any idea how to gain control(and older players might not like how builder focused it is). rejected for now.

Biurza likes this.
  16. PooManCHU

Thanks for letting me know what needs to be worked on, about the resources how do you think i could improve the spread? without simply adding more stone if it can be helped, since the smaller amount of stone at spawn when compared to other maps was an intentional design choice. you may have a point about the old, although most players should know that's gold is often found underground in caves, I'm sure alot still wont, i guess it's also quite optimistic to assume that players with cooperate with each other and give the gold each one of them has, i will move the gold closer the the surface and put in in chunks of 2 or 3, what do you think about this change?
    About the islands i will edit them to be more user friendly, so you can get back up should you be lucky enough not to die of fall damage, do you feel with these changes new players will have a better chance of controlling the map or should i make change to it in other ways as-well