1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2622 - Quarry, Stalemates, Eating, More - First Bounties In!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 22, 2018.

?

Favourite community feature (try them all first!)

Poll closed Jun 29, 2018.
  1. Stalemate Resolution

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Quarry

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Eat Button

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey Folks!

First, welcome new players from the steam sale! Hope to see you on the battlefield.

This build contains all changes from our first round of bounties, and a lot more besides!

Two big changes this build for CTF:
    • There is a new building, the Quarry. This community-voted bounty was proposed and implemented by Mazey.

[​IMG]

It costs 150 stone and 50 gold, on top of the 150 wood required for the building frame. It consumes wood to generate stone over time. We're going to be keeping a close eye on how this affects balance, but we're optimistic.
    • There is a new capture-stalemate resolution system. This community-voted bounty was proposed by DoctorSnakes and implemented by Pirate-Rob.

The stalemate system detects when all flags on both sides have been captured, and starts a timer. Once this timer expires, all flags are returned without capture. This prevents the condition of both teams being unable to capture a flag, and the game being unable to end.
    Other changes:
    • There is a new button dedicated to eating food from your inventory or hands. This community-voted bounty was proposed by benjamingorman and implemented by Ferrezinhre.

[​IMG]

By default, the button to eat food is V. Space will no longer eat food, and is used solely for rotating blocks or lighting bombs.

NOTE: As a result of this change, your controls will be reset on first launch - watch out for this. As the key "clashed" with an existing key, and we didn't want to remove it completely, we decided that was the safest way to handle things.
    • Builders can quick-swap between their last 2 selected blocks with the Inventory button, F. This change is experimental and could do with some refinement, but potentially saves builders quite a lot of time when building walls and backgrounds. It can also be used to quickly "drop" building frames. Thanks to Potatobird for developing this feature.
    • The new emotes from earlier in the year have been added to the emote wheel. They have not been touched up further yet, as there wasn't time for it in this build cycle, but that's still on the table. The emote wheel also renders above the minimap to help keep everything easy to see and interact with. We're looking at solutions (including a grid and a multi-tiered ring) that would allow even more emotes.
    • New Players don't drop hearts. Specifically, players who registered within the last 2 weeks will not drop hearts upon dying, which will prevent them "feeding" more experienced players and help level the playing field a little. We're considering if anyone should really drop hearts on death, and potential other HP-related changes, and will be polling the community through discord about it in the coming weeks.
    • Gold now stacks to 100 (as 2 lumps of 50) instead of 250. This reduces the overall amount of gold you can carry, but makes taking the right amount of gold for a building out of the storage much simpler. It also makes gold lumps much more visible as they use the large stack sprites for much smaller values, so they are harder to "lose" in the chaos.

There's also a fair sized bucketload of fixes and modding improvements - see the full changelog for details.

Longer Loading Times:

This build is the first to feature a "proper" flush of all modded files, scripts and configs on switching servers. This fixes an enormous amount of bugs and exploits, but does somewhat increase loading times. We'll be working on optimising this process ASAP to get the best of both worlds.

Github and Community Dev:

We've been very pleased with the amount of engagement on github so far this month. 15 pull requests and 4 issues have been closed. 10 people have been involved in over 45 commits, with over a thousand individual changes, and many people have proposed features or fixes for the bounty system. Discussion happens both on github and in the #development channel on discord. If you haven't already, give it a look. It's very easy to get involved!

It's quite interesting to see big changes like these proposed, voted for and actioned by the community. We're keen to work with you in a new era of KAG development.

That's it for this build - we'll be back with more info about the July Bounties in a short while and will be keeping an eye on stability as this release makes it out.

Have Fun!
    Max

Code:
    Full Changelog:

CTF:

[added] Quarry shop in CTF (thanks Mazey, v6steeda)
    [added] stalemate (cannot-capture situation) support to CTF (thanks Pirate-Rob)
    [modified] Gold stacks to 100 - as 2 separate lumps of 50 (thanks PotatoBird)

Misc:

[added] dedicated button for healing with food (V by default) (thanks Ferre)
    [added] Tapping inventory key as builder swaps to last block (thanks Potatobird)
    [added] new emotes to emote menu
    [modified] players registered earlier than 2 weeks don't drop hearts, for handicap
    [fixed] archer grapple beyond top of map (thanks Asu)
    [fixed] TTH win condition issues
    [fixed] arrow spawn location for mounted bows (thanks FuzzCat927)
    [modified] emote menu in front of the rest of the gui
    [fixed?] camera flying around after some maps glitch - please report any changes here
    [fixed] client_AddToChat "eats" non-ascii characters (thanks Diprog for the report)
    [fixed] "Back" entries in menus not translated
    [modified] unlocked framerate for cursors in menus (thanks Asu)
    [fixed] infinite join loop when using kag:// links
    [fixed] steam not used when using kag:// links
    [added] async loading messages draw at 30FPS instead of realtime (loads faster with vsync)
    [fixed] autoupdater: ESC/cancel not working during downloading files
    [fixed] autoupdater: alignment of file download texts rendering
    [added] `debug_mode` seclev to allow `g_debug` on a per-seclev basis
    [fixed] sanitize getLandHeightAtX with invalid x coord (thanks Asu, TFlippy for the report)

Translation:

[modified] Russian Translation Updated/Completed? (thanks Diprog, Mirsario)
    [modified] Polish Translation Updated (thanks Vans, BraveDragonRL)
    [added] translatable vote reasons

Modding/Mapping:

[added] new key_eat button
    [added] CPlayer.getRegistrationTime() - returns time of players account registration
    [added] Time_DaysSince(unixtime) - returns days since unix date
    [added] support for custom no-build-zone in maps (thanks Mazey)
    [added] support for distance-checking from buy offset to shops; allows shops to have buy buttons well removed from their location
    [modified] file limit from 2048 to 8192 (relevant for heavy modders)
    [modified] more explicit position tile/worldspaces for CMap in manual
    [fixed] mods breaking singleplayer (mods and game objects are now flushed after disconnect)
    [modified] alignment of mod download window elements
    [added] RemoveScript for scripted render functions

2. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Thank you! Now my chrome extension works as it should. :heart:

3. Leo

Leo Haxor

Yeah you can login now :thumbs_up:

epsilon likes this.
  4. PooManCHU

PooManCHU Shopkeep Stealer

The stone quarry is very OP, look at what is has done to AUS CTF, photo credits to @EhRa cancer.jpg

5. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Yea, I saw it modded into Leo's CTF and thought it was just some dumb mod Leo decided to put on so I avoided his server, especially for playing seriously - but now it's in the game? Too much stone.

Osmal and bunnie like this.
  6. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Haxor Staff Alumni

Wow that pic :oops:. The quarry is a cool concept but i think its something that should be used on Sandbox. All that stone will just turn CTF OR TTH into a sandbox roleplay server with no flags or halls being captured. It would also make using wood almost obsolete.

CrispyChicken030 likes this.
  7. Darruin

Darruin Bison Rider Staff Alumni

Happy that the game is continuing to be updated, although I do agree with most others in the quarry changes the game too much since it produces so much stone atm. Not sure I'd want to see it removed entirely though, should try it with a production nerf. Maybe 1/3rd of what it gives now.

Magmus, Solaris and epsilon like this.
  8. PooManCHU

PooManCHU Shopkeep Stealer

Yeah i think that would be the best thing to do at this point, i also don't want to see it completely removed from the game, idk how this would be possible but if there was a limit to how many quarry's could be built by a team at any one time, say i limit of 2i think that could work to slow down the cancer, also if the quarry is going to stay map makers have to take into account that quarry's are now a thing, hopefully then we wont have maps with 10 trees on them anymore

Magmus likes this.
  9. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I don't think its a good sign you can casually fill a tunnel with easily 15 stone doors and do it again a few minutes later

10. Leo

Leo Haxor

FYI I have nerfed quarries in all of my CTF servers. Being the guinea pig is interesting ::D:

Coroz and Blue_Tiger like this.
  11. blackguy123

blackguy123 Bison Rider

The Eat button ruined some mods tho e.g. Leo's Zombie Fortress the V button for teleport doesnt work anymore i think its because the eat button not sure it worked before the kag update tho

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Any functionality that relied on the taunt button before will still work, but will use the new taunt button key (as we don't have taunts in vanilla, taunts were moved rather than making a completely new button in vanilla). Basically, try B not V and see if that works in mods that used to use V.

Awesome, let us know how this goes. We're very open to changes here and are thinking that dropping both the rate of conversion and the efficiency of conversion would likely prevent quarries from being a "primary" stone source. We doubt it'll stop some builders from spamming them but having no wood available can be a weakness in itself.

13. FG

FG Fran Donator

If you could add a cap on the amount of quarries built for each team, maybe 1 or 2 per team and reduce the amount of stone from them It would probably be a bit more balanced. Also I've noticed when switching between blocks the quick-swap tool places the quick-swap block before the selected block in the menu which is pretty frustrating, though it's very likely this could be another one of those lag issues it's kind of temperamental when quick swapping between blocks manually.

14. blackguy123

blackguy123 Bison Rider

hmm i dont think thats a good idea(since its basically a limit which is weird since in kag there is such a thing called builder freedom :D) and instead make quarries cost 100+ gold and some coins
    Me and potatobird talked about it and he said something that he had the exact same idea
    Reason for 100+ gold is to sacrifice Tunnel usage for Base security
    Oh yeah, and, i heard some people complained about the new eat button(though i dont really care) they were used to it so instead of keeping hearts in their inventory, they held it in their hands and pressed space instead

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  15. nickkardash

nickkardash Bison Rider

Dpants thinks that quarry’s are awesome just like they are. Limiting the amount won’t change anything as more then 1 just sits there empty. 4 trees to 1 quarry seems most efficient. What happens is hatters get angry and get all fired up to voice there opinion. People who like it say nothing. Don’t listen only to potatobird and bunnie. Don’t change a thing

16. Element_Paladin

Element_Paladin Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Quarries are fine the way they are, in my opinion. They do cause stalemates, usually an admin on Leo's has to turn on tickets, but nerfing it isn't a good way to stop builders from just waiting under the quarry for ten minutes to get enough stone to build a tower. Make it harder to access, but it's almost like nerfing a tunnel. They both cause stalemates but it's not like they're easy to make. To actually make tunnels useful you need 200 stone, about 400 wood, and 100 gold. That makes quarries SUPER cheap for how effective they are. Don't make it less valuable, per se, but make it more valuable.

17. Coroz

Coroz B R B Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

For builders quarry's are great, it gives additional defense giving them the tools to make mega fortresses. So when a builder says its fine i get why they say it. but the game needs a balance around the 3 classes not just rat wars.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  18. Element_Paladin

Element_Paladin Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

game's balanced, if you set aside the learning curve. nothing's that broken, there should really be more non-class specific content coming out. maybe new updates shouldn't even focus on in-game, rather the menu and community structs. all of the buttons for community structs are tiny unappealing buttons lined in a row at the bottom of the home screen, and whilst there is a number of administrators and moderators ready to help new players and support player retention, you have to create a forum account (if you have steam, i think) or discord account if you want to do that. it's like saying you need facebook to play a steam game. there are tons of active players that are willing to support new ones, but they're invisible to the blind eye because of how inconvenient it can be for them to get there in the first place.

19. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Isn't that like any game? To use most things you need an account. Yeah, the buttons are barely noticeable but you shouldn't be relying on the community for player retention. The game itself should be enjoyable enough for the player to continue playing.
    In AUS it was definitely way too OP. Maps turned into a bowl where knights fought in a stone pit in the centre while builders slowly built their bases closer to mid. Look at the image posted above... not a wood block in sight!
    I also don't know why you would complain about new content. It's good to see something new after a long period of mostly nothing new gameplay-wise.
    I think the quarries just need it's values nerfed. No need for anything complex like @Potatobird's suggestion.

20. enderzilla747

enderzilla747 Bison Rider Tester

:smug: Saw farm shop that makes wood out of stone