1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2622 - Quarry, Stalemates, Eating, More - First Bounties In!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 22, 2018.

?

Favourite community feature (try them all first!)

Poll closed Jun 29, 2018.
  1. Stalemate Resolution

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Quarry

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Eat Button

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. Coroz

Coroz B R B Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Actualy my current tactic
    1.go to the treefarm as a knight,
    2.slash all the trees.
    3.go builder and collect the wood.
    4. go to quarry and transfer to stone
    5. reinforce the tower with the 1000 stone.
    6. buy kegs with bombs(saw keg jump), cata or standard kegjump, or 5-10 bombarrows and spam.

Potatobird likes this.
  2. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Space will no longer make you eat food? That's a damn good usability engineering team of 9 year-old's you got there. Know what? Dedicate a button to every action you can take in the game - that'd make it intuitive to play -, or do combinations. The noobs will never realise why they're so bad, until it's revealed to them that there's a "food button", and that you can rebind it to your mouse wheel to become invincible (1000 eat requests per second, I love it). Great feature, I understand why people voted for this.

Stalemate resolution feature? I love it. It's like combatting stalemates with stalemates: If two teams are close to winning, let none of them win. A genius must've come up with this idea. Again, the usability team did far better than expected. This feature is like an Easter egg: Out of nowhere, your flag disappears (after 1 minute, haha) - you're not sure if it's a bug or a feature, and because this event is so damn rare, you've never witnessed it before. You're filled with joy because you can now retrieve the flag once more - I mean, who doesn't like that?

Then there's the quarry. I know, people have called it overpowered and whatnot, but the fact is, we all love the idea behind it. I never understood why there wasn't a feature that'd let me convert wood to stone, gold to wood, and stone to dirt. That's like one of the basics for a Minecraft-inspired farming game. On that note, I would really like to see a "farm" that can convert stone to food. I should probably create a pitch for it, so I can have my 9 year-old friends vote it in.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    AmestriStephen, bunnie and GoldenGuy like this.
  3. Turtlebutt

Turtlebutt Bison Rider Tester

4. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

i'd like to know who voted for the "quarry" option, and how many of them are mostly mod players

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  5. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Nyeh

If you take out the "faster at mid" part, which is an easy part to change, and more people seem to want it out anyway, I'd say it actually simplifies the quarry. That wasn't a core part of the idea, and even if it were I don't see what's so "complex" about it.

Also, there's nothing inherently bad about new stuff, but if we're okay with throwing in new stuff just for the sake of having new junk to play with (not that that's necessarily what's going on here), I think that's a great way to kill the game's balance. Or do we just not care about balance anymore? I mean, even I think it's been kind of fun messing around with something that's so obviously overpowered, but it's already getting kind of old to spam stone obelisks and then spam dozens of bomb arrows all from complete safety. Do people even get why balance is important anymore?

Haha, when both teams take each others' flags they are not "close to winning." If they both get back to their tents then it can be made literally impossible for either team to win.

Also, there's a big message explaining exactly what's going on and what will happen along with a timer in the middle of the screen, so you clearly have no idea what you're talking about anyway.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Magmus, epsilon and ParaLogia like this.
  6. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

ikr - it's so much more intuitive to heal with the same button that rotates blocks, lights bombs and throws items! I've never seen any game which has a separate button, such as H, for healing before ever in my life. Get it together THD! In my honest opinion, I think we should also open inventory, interact and grapple with the spacebar to make it more intuitive, thoughts?

Magmus, mcrifel, Asu and 2 others like this.
  7. Element_Paladin

Element_Paladin Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

^^ multiplayer needs a community to be playable ::P: the game shouldn't revolve around the aldfogs who are already obsessed with it, which control the majority of the active talkers of the discord. remember, the discord is where the voting takes place, and you want it to be easily accessible if you want the WHOLE community to know what's going on.

^ raising the price of the quarry was my idea, it's only op because it's cheaper to make a quarry than to make a tunnel system. make quarries much more expensive to buy on the beginning turn and you'll have like one quarry for each team. if your team hates it so much they can get 100% gold return rate if they want to destroy it for something that'll actually speed up the game, but it's pretty useful for the losing team. i don't see a problem on offi us/eu, at least when i'm online. usually the players are enough to end stalemates, a good siege engine is more worth it's gold than a quarry.

8. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

franek123 likes this.
  9. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

No, it's op because it can output 450 stone every minute. And you can have multiple of them. And the fuel is wood, which is free, unlimited, and very easy to get.

If you don't think quarries are imbalanced, try building just one above a storage, a nice tree farm with 4+ trees, and then spend all of your time keeping the quarry fed while spamming thicc stone block towers or simply adding layers to your flag defenses, and then building an archer nest when you have like 1000 coins so you can devastate their defenses, all without ever having to fight anyone on the other team.

I think you could more than halve the stone output and they'd still be busted. You can make them more annoying to use with higher gold + wood prices but as long as they still have the potential to pump out tons o' stone at a fast rate for free, they're gonna stay busted.

10. Element_Paladin

Element_Paladin Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

you're able to get more stone than that in a minute if you just go out mining. the quarry could be fixed by nerfing the output depending on how much stone there is left. the purpose of a quarry was to give you stone when availability was low, so i agree that there should be some sort of large nerf to it. but saying that.

this quarry is problematic to me not because of how powerful anything is, but for what type of game this is in general. in games where the games would be action-packed, and ruled by players who are willing to go out to the front of the lines and see the whole map for what it is. but when you give a shop what is practically a player's job, you reach a point of automation which can't be suppressed. it turns kag into some sort of GvG, (whereas the battles take a longer period of time to accomplish), and while players should have no problem doing the task that the quarry handles. besides the plenty of things this game can do to better the retention of new players, new content should include things that can't be done by a normal player. boats can cause stalemates because it simply further extends the purpose of swimming, however, it is impossible to create new spawns and launch explosive bolts of destruction without a ballista. so yes, i am mostly unhappy with this update, as it didn't give players a new feature, but simply an extension to what was a simple task.

while in games like MMOS, where the more boring jobs are automated with currency and the players get to experience the meta, or the grand jewel of the game, (which can be combat, exploring, story elements, etc.) this is a game that is based on short bursts and pulses of action happening everywhere, where there shouldn't be a meta. this is the reason why tth is not well received, in my opinion, because what would be a knight's or an archer's job to get coins, gather explosives, and generally earn on their own, there became a meta of being a builder because manpower wasn't decided by a fighter's skill, but for how many machines were handling the job. there shouldn't be a meta, nor should there be an unimportant feature to it.