1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

TDM Shid Island [REJECTED]

Discussion in 'Rejected Maps' started by SJD360, Jun 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

Map name: Shid Island
    Gamemode: TDM
    Symmetrical: Nope.
    Special features: 2 shops, watery features, and made in the name of Our Lord & Savior, Legendary. (A player from TC) Edited to play a bit better with the help of an_obamanation.
    Map: SJD360_Shid_IslandV2.png
    Map name: SJD360_Shid_IslandV2

ingmap.png

download (2).png

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Sylw, Blubahub and GoldyXEN like this.
  2. GoldyXEN

GoldyXEN Shipwright

ow shıd

3. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

[​IMG]

I haven't done a test run of this yet with actual players but just walking around the map to look at it felt incredibly clunky, I felt like I was getting stuck in every nook and cranny due to the one block wide gaps with water, the "stairway" at the spawns, the awkward layout of the floating blocks at mid, etc.

I can already see the underground platforms being really obnoxious, it's not like they force me to go up, I can just break them and go back to the store, but I shouldn't have to break them, what if I tried moving forward and realized I forgot to buy something, or if I wanted to buy food to heal a teammate? I don't want to have to go all the way around the map again or break the platforms, it's slow and tedious.

There is a LOT of fish, which means there's a lot of easy free heals, even more so than biurza black dog which has 2 grain right at the beginning for each team, which even there I think is a little much.

The purple chest at mid, the blue team trader, and red teams spawn are all off symmetry by a block, I know the maps asymmetrical and that this doesn't really affect functionality but it just looks weird.

One last point, the three chests at mid are way too much. If you can manage to open the first chest at spawn, and the three chests at mid, you're looking at around 150 coins not counting any of the items you acquire from the chests themselves.

TL;DR: It's slow, clunky, and has way too many items.

SJD360 and Ni like this.
  4. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

Finally, some constructive feedback.
    I made a few edits.

1. Spaced out & expanded the middle shipwreck to make it a bit less cramped.

2. Removed 2 chests - more can be removed if you want.

3. Removed a lot of the fishies. Didn't even know they healed people until right now.

4. Flattened & smoothed out most of the surface to try making it less clunky.

5. Removed & changed the 'stairway' to the main platform. Area now remains relatively flat and leads up to a sudden jump.

6. Removed underground platforms.

7. Added a couple bushes & extra details I forgot the first time round - not really important.

8. Generally repositioned a lot of stuff.

Also I'm not sure what's going on with the Blue Shop & Red Spawn, they're completely symmetrical in the map itself but they don't appear so ingame.

map.png

ingmap.png

If you think it's a tad more playable, I'll edit the original post so the V2 replaces it. If not, I'll scrap it.

Attached Files:

an_obamanation and Vamist like this.
  5. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

The traders are a weird case and I believe that Ni and myself had issues with it as well. I have no clue what causes it but when you place them symmetrically on a map they spawn one block off, meaning you need to place them one block off on the map for them to load in symmetrically in the game, just place blues trader one block to the left and it will solve it.

I'm not really a fan of the three wooden block stairway at the beginning, I understand the map is boring if it's completely flat and I wouldn't want that, but red team only has two blocks to move around on before the ladder hole, whereas blue team has four. This isn't a major difference but red team is going to get stuck easier if they're backing out of the ladder hole/trying to shield slide, and this means blue team has an easier time shield sliding out of the starting gate to gun for that middle chest.

Other than that, I just have a small minor pet peeve with
    [​IMG]
    spot. It's too awkward to double slash up and try to hit a person camping on the top left ridge.

I've uploaded an edited version that fixes the traders and tidies up the previously mentioned areas a bit to make for cleaner movement, I can see how it looks weird without the three block stairs there though so feel free to edit it however you see fit.

Attached Files:

SJD360 likes this.
  6. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

I just noticed that actually, there's a 12 block gap between Red Spawn and the first chest, but a 10 block gap between the Blue Spawn and the first chest. I definitely buggered up there, I'll fix that and add your changes tomorrow once I get some sleep, thanks for the help. ::):

Edit: Maybe I could turn those 3 wood block steps before the top platform into wood background so it still has the effect but won't get in the way of players.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 22, 2019, Original Post Date: Jul 17, 2019 ---
    Made the edit, thanks for the help and sorry for the wait. :O

xHKGx and an_obamanation like this.
  7. Ni

Ni Battle Angel Global Moderator Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. Active Forum Users

Rejected for now - The mapping team has decided to reject this map.
    If you want to know what lead the mapping team to this decision please message me here on the Forum or via Discord (Ni#6332)