1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[228] Collapsing & Spike orientation

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Wyeth, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

So after finding the time to finally look into some stuff here a little bit about the now changed physics. Mainly interesting for builders it is still something that affects all the classes (walking into acavado spikes, collapsing buildings on your head). I will add a more in-depth guide to block dropping to the big builder guide later on. This is just about the mechanic of spike orientation (for example after opening trap bridges) and collapsing castle walls.

Okay first: Here a little slideshow about spike orientation:
    spikeorientation.png

Picture 1: Shows spikes orientated in the way they naturally settle and as one would expect.
    Picture 2: A solid blocktype (castle wall) is introduced to the mix. Located on the left. As you can see the spikes immediately "latch" onto them. This shows how spikes prefer to orientate themselves to the right.
    Picture 3: After introducing a second block on the right you see that the spikes remain unchanged. Since the spikes prefer to orientate to the left they will not change position to the right.
    Picture 4: A block on the top right is introduced, The spikes on top remain unchanged, downwards placement is preferred so the spikes won't orientate to the right. The spikes on the right will orientate upwards and latch onto the newly placed block, since upwards orientation is preferred.
    Picture 5: As both sides will orientate upwards when given the chance we see that upwards orientation is preferred generally.
    Picture 6-12: Whenever the chance presents itself spikes will orientate downwards. Downwards orientation is thus preferred even over upward oritentation!

Ranking for spike orientation:
    1. Downward
    2. Upward
    3. Left
    4. Right

So far so good, now you should be able to predict where those spikes go after you open the trapbridge, good for you.

Secondly: Collapsing/Castle wall drops, since the other blocks won't hurt you when they fall down.

Ladders, castle back wall, workshop tiles, spikes and catapult/outpost tiles will not be damaged by falling castle walls, nor will they stop them. Other castle walls, trap bridges and teamdoors (solid blocks if you will) will stop single falling castle walls normally without getting damaged. Several falling castle walls will damage the block under it except dirt.

Castle wall will "settle" if there is dirt back wall present.
    The way in which the castle walls jump is not completely predictable. Single castle walls will normally not jump around much and even if they fly around it is not always dangerous to get hit by them and generally being near the point of impact will hurt or kill you not so much the jumping blocks.
    [More info about this later in the Big Builder Guide]

Hope you found this helpful.

2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Awesome information, hella useful.

Okay I'm misunderstanding here: (you can see this in picture 3 where the left spikes will change position to settle left but the right spikes won't).

You're saying left spikes will change position to settle to left, but right won't? But left are already on the left?

From what I understand of your guide,

Downward: Will reorient to: Up, Left, Right
    Upward: Will reorient to: Left, Right
    Left: Will reorient to: Right
    and Right facing spikes will never reorient? (For example will never reorient to upward or downward)?

3. Wyeth

No no, spikes always WANT to place themselves down if possible, so if you have spikes on a wall (facing left) and place a block under them they will hop on the lower block and face upwards (placed downwards), if no lower block is present they will try to hop on a block above them, only if there is no block above nor below they will orientate first left, then right... better look at the pictures to understand how they move around :) Its sorta confusing to put in words.
    I will try to reword it to make it more clear

4. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

I tried to make a trap which used spikes tendencies to reorient themselves left or right but instead I made the acavado door.

I think what Wyeth means that a spike given the choice between attaching to a wall on the left or right, like you would find in the third picture, the spikes will attach to the left wall. So Down > Up > Left > Right.

Down being preferred to up and left and right, up being preferred to left and right, left being preferred to right, and right being preferred only when it's the only block around

I was going to suggest something like they should prefer to attach to team bridges and doors before stone blocks, or something. That could make some things interesting.

5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I am enlightened by your post Wyeth, awesome job with this info.

Acavado likes this.
  6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Brilliant! :D

7. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

Those 2 last blocks looks hella dangerous!Door would stop block flying <--- thus teammates are safe,second block will fly
    ---> and pierce trough crowd like knife through butter?
    MUST
    USE
    NOW !

Edit : *Doesnt work for me =(
    aw

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Lemme just add this:

Teambridges. Never add spikes to them, unless acavado trap. Don't add spikes to the top of a team bridge because if an enemy steps on it, they go inert, and it can only hurt allies. Exact same reason for under team bridges, it's completely pointless. The enemies jump up, the spikes go inert. Allies jump up, *SCRGHT!*.

Team doors are the opposite. Only allies can activate the doors, so allies are safe pretty often (Though sometimes it takes a split second for the door to open and an ally can take damage/get killed.) while enemies always collide with them.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. Wyeth

Locked for justice.

factoryman942 and SirSammy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.