1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Overworld and Adventures

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SirSalami, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

2. Contaron

Contaron Shopkeep Stealer

Thats good. Also, will necromancer be a class that you can be in that mode, I'd love to have a zombie horde at my command!

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yes, but you won't be able to access it easily. One thing we're very strongly against is magic being a happenstance thing - that ruins the fun of magic. Unless you're playing on a modded server you'll have to undertake an epic adventure, involving killing an existing necromancer and the associated trials therein.

4. Contaron

Cool, but how does the first necromancer get his powers?
    Is there like a magic orb or something to get?

Also, how will you get other magic, because i quite like an order of sorcerers.
    Will there be scrolls which people can share?

Also, what types of magic will there be?
    In many games i've played with it in, magic is either hideously overpowered or extremely underpowered, so how are you guys going to make it work? (not trying to be skeptical, just how it usually is)

5. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I used to play a game with permadeath, only once you died you could choose to make a new character that was the descendant of your previous one. This meant that you retained their xp to a point, depending on the level of a specific stat before you died. This worked well, as you didn't lose everything upon death, but you wouldn't take risks as easily.

6. Contaron

What if you wanted to switch from a heavy juggernaut to a nimble archer, i don't really think that would work.

7. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

I would kind of like to see gaining a magic class as an epic quest, but you only start with one spell, and you have to go kill AI wizards to steal theirs one by one.

8. Contaron

That would be good as long as its easy-ish to get some of the weaker spells.

9. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

I figure you fight wizards one spell above you, or each AI wizard has only one spell, so it would vary, depending on the wizard.

10. Contaron

Yes, and he drops a scroll for the spell he had, making it possible for the entire raiding party to get that spell, or maybe the scrolls could only be used 5 times or so before they disappear. Of course the wizard would only use the one spell he has the scroll for. (awkward if he uses heal) Also, the spells should be put into tiers, with a better castle for a better tiered wizard. And maybe you can only learn the spell if you have a spell of the tier below it already or the spell is tier 1.

11. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

This just sounds more and more epic every glimpse I get at it.

Could I be a bard?

Eric likes this.
  12. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

That would be the best class ever, sings to increase dmg and defense or something else

13. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

If I've understood it right, your ''class'' will be based on the items you have - not any specicif, premade class.

14. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

Thats even better.

15. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

I hope I can get a legit harp.

16. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

harps are lame, I want a battle trombone.

17. Contaron

Nah, I'm getting bagpipes! Makes the enemy run away from me cos I'm so bad!

18. DarkDain

DarkDain Shopkeep Stealer

I assume there will not be bombs anymore then, or any way a brand new character can just buy an extremely lethal tool or trap, being able to kill these '3 hour characters' in suicidal charges and not risking much in return, in real life this was the end to Knighthood because a peasant with a crossbow can kill a knight who trained his whole life.

Sounds cool how magic will be earned, harder than the other classes ? Or do warriors and such need to obtain gear whereas a wizard would only need to obtain new spells and not worry about his robe/staff/hat/etc ? I think magic users should be a starting class or at least available early on. You start as an Apprentice with a staff, but cant actually cast any magic and will most likely need help obtaining the spells, which suits them as a supporting role for guilds, and much safer from front line conflict, a valuable guild tool indeed.

19. Contaron

With the bombs: They should be much more expensive, and you will need a bomb making scroll to build the workshop, the scroll will be used up in the process. This means only the most hard working guilds can actually get bombs.

With the magic: I think the staff/wand should automatically have a spell enchanted into it to make it a staff/wand. This means the starting wizard will have at least something to get started with, and it will also give you two possibilities for getting magic, although you can only have one staff/wand equipped at a time. A hat will most likely include a defensive enchantment, a high level one being something like immunity to explosions. The robe will contain mana bonuses. eg. more max mana/more mana regeneration. If the devs don't use mana the robe will just look cool. Also, i think the staffs should have differences to wands. eg. the wands are more powerful but cost more mana and an equivalent staff will be less powerful and cost less mana. So a staff of explosion will have less explosion range than a wand of explosion, but the wand will cost more mana. Obviously they are both high level equipment as we CERTAINLY don't want level 1 wizards blowing up level 20 Juggernauts.

Also, a few ideas for spells:

Lightning
    Fires a small bolt of electricity that does a half heart of damage and is blockable by the knights shield. It flies in a straight line and stuns whoever it hits (unless blocked). BUT whatever it hits (mud or a builder or a knights shield) it fires a giant bolt of lightning from the sky at after a few seconds, causing big damage and setting things on fire. This second bolt is unblockable, but easily avoided if you weren't stunned by the first bolt. This spell is ineffective when used indoors or underground because the second bolt wont hit its target. Effective against sky bridges, even ones of stone as you can fire at the bottom of it and the big bolt will still hit the top, destroying the catapult they were using against your base.
    Generally if lightning hits water it spreads across the water, doing less damage as it spreads, but can still damage a lot of people. Obviously the higher the damage the bigger the spread.

Rain
    Makes it rain for a minute or so, putting out fires, making most things that rely on fire to do damage ineffective. (Fire arrows, burning buildings, the fireball spell)

Heal
    Pretty obvious really, priests would probably start with this spell.

Also, I think that wizards should have:
    Mouse Left; Use wand/ staff spell
    Mouse Right; Use selected spell
    'f'; Select spell (used with mouse right)(these would be the ones learned by collecting magic scrolls)
    The hat and robe enchantments are passive so don't need a key to use.

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Read this very carefully:

Any kind of magic will be extraordinarily difficult to aquire. There will be no "lvl1 heal" spell, we have quarters for healing and will likely have food allowing you to heal on the go. There will be no "lvl2 fireball" spell because we have archers for low level damage and throwing fire at someone better be a freaking impressive affair. Magic in KAG will be hard to aquire and extremely powerful.

Semi-Magical buildings are another matter - a castle may be able to be imbued with religious buildings from various medieval religions (celt pagan, norse pagan, christian..) to give a quasi-magical advantage to that castle (buffs for nearby units, healing inside a radius, etc) and the "core" building for each of those religions would give access to learning that religion's cleric/priest/acolyte class, who would be able to improve the religious buildings and perhaps construct charms to take into battle. That would be the "easy" way to get access to some magical ability, but not spellcasting of any kind.

Monsteri, you've got it the wrong way around.
    Items will give you access to a class, not the other way around. Coding weapons as holdable items means way too much recoding and spriting: every weapon would need to have an animation and all clothes would have to have their own sets of compatible animations. By making classes separate and non-combinable, each unit's role becomes clear upon inspection and each class gains a strong identity.
    You'll be able to learn about 3 classes symultaneously (more including item-based classes because as long as you have the item in your posession you'll be able to swap to that class, but you'll be missing inventory slots that way) from books or training.

Bombs will work on damage and knockback instead of being instakill (they'll likely do about 3 hearts of damage) and units will be able to gain more hearts over the course of their adventure.

Units will be able to be picked up when dead (assuming they're not gibbed) and revived at quarters after half a minute's wait or so - their bodies will stick around for about 5 minutes to allow some leeway for a rescue.

Rayne, Auri, Knighthart and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.