1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Mac version - In the near future?

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Theater, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Theater

Theater Guest

So i've never even played Terraria because of its windows nativity.
    Now i'm hoping this game will be playable on a mac. Will it?

2. bilbs

bilbs Guest

My roommate is also waiting of a mac version.

I installed ubuntu on a small partition on his computer and installed this game. It's a pain in the ass, but you only need to sacrifice about 10gigs. You could probably even just use an ubuntu live CD and never install anything.

It's no mac version, but judging by the fact that Soldat doesn't have a mac version it's probably your best bet.

3. Theater

Theater Guest

I've fiddled with bootcamp, emulators and "skins", but i fear that most mac users won't bother.
    Ultimately, i myself won't run bootcamp on my mac as i try to keep it as clean and simple as possible due to the fact that it also serves as my workplace (i'm a musician by trade), and therefore stability and "cleanliness" is top priority.

I'll keep hoping for a native mac version of this game, i'd play it to death. Guess i'm going to have to stick with dwarf fortress in the meantime though.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We're very likely to release a mac version. The game code is platform portable by nature, we just haven't had time to make a build yet :/

5. Solomon-Grundy

Solomon-Grundy Shopkeep Stealer

I've been playing a wine version of KAG on my mac for over a month. It works great.

I used Wine Bottler:
    http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

It's a pretty simple process. You just point wine bottler to the setup file, and it packages it all up for you. Takes 5 minutes. Only downside is that I often have to launch it a few times for it to actually start, but if you know that going in, it's not a big deal.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Well, that's good to know for the mean time.

I've frontpaged that, hopefully it works for everyone who needs it in the meantime.

7. Theater

Theater Guest

Very good news. Thank you so much sir.

8. Solomon-Grundy

Geti, if you want, I can send you a self-contained "wine-bottled" version of KAG that should work as a mac-version for now. I can send a zip, and you could put it up as a download somewhere. It wouldn't require knowledge of, or even an install of wine. You just download, unzip, and launch. It auto-updates, so it shouldn't need to be re-compiled unless you all change anything major.

I get the sense, from this post and another one I posted the same tip on, that the mac folks don't want to bother with even the wine-bottler method.

9. Solomon-Grundy

10. Geti

gersaky - perhaps email it to MM?

11. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Compiling for Mac is a pain in the ass. I have to postpone it.

12. Rome

Rome Shopkeep Stealer

I am purchased the game, and waiting for osx version :P

13. Geti

On second thoughts PM that to me now and I'll put it somewhere public over the next while.

14. Rome

Rome Shopkeep Stealer

maybe you put somewhere native version? :rollseyes:

15. Geti

We're still in the process of getting a native version working (as MM has said: compiling for mac is a pain in the ass), a winebottled version is the best you'll be getting for a while.

16. Rome

Rome Shopkeep Stealer

trelawney likes this.
  17. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

Works fine in Snow Leopard (osx 10.6) too, a bit sluggish but i'll chalk that up to my mac mini being born in 2006, with a mediocre gpu.
    Requires Wine/winebottler http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/, as already mentioned.

As a side-note, you can't really beat a native solution, as this concoction works out to approximately 84mb, quite hefty for a kag client imo..

18. Geti

Hahah indeed you can't, but it's proving quite a challenge. Neither me nor Michal have a mac to build on afaik.
    It being sluggish is likely due to wine handing some things oddly - the game runs at ~30fps with low graphics on my 7 year old laptop.

We'll put that download up soon perhaps, the size is a little offputting in terms of offering it publicly but I guess as a temporary measure it's not too bad.

19. Rome

Rome Shopkeep Stealer

there is nothing more permanent than a temporary (c) google translate

20. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator