1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Server administration tips [RCON]

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Krono, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Krono

Krono Drill Rusher

I understand there is a list of commands available. However, I'm having trouble using them. For instance, kicking players using the console does not work. It does little to notify me if the command worked properly or not, as well as proper syntax.

Using /list brings me the same list of commands already listed on the wiki, but /help shows me a whole different slew.

What I'd like to know is what I'm doing wrong, or what I should be doing. A good example to practice with right now would be how to remove a ban on someone. I know that there is no banishment per se established at the moment, only a temp kick that lasts for around an hour or so, but I'd like to know how to reduce or eliminate a sentence already being served.

A quick rundown on basic administrative commands, how are they used and what they do would be appreciated.

2. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Use \players to get player ids, and use \kickid id# time to kick them
    If you don't enter a time, it's a perma-ban(well, only until the server restarts, that resets all bans).
    The unban command rarely works, best thing would be just to restart server if you really need to unban someone.
    Also, the logs are shit.
    Use F3 to freeze everyone at your cursor, F2 to unfreeze at your cursor.
    Freezing someone is also a quick way to get their id to ban them with, just look at the console after freezing.

Noburu likes this.
  3. masonmistel

masonmistel Comma King Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Remember, you have to put /rcon before everything. /kick (plaername) won't work. You have to put /rcon before anything admin wise.

4. Krono

Krono Drill Rusher

Do I ever receive a notification of whether or not the command works? When I get syntax errors, it notifies me, but when I do get it right... it doesn't print anything at all. It just tells RCON Krono, then the command I issued, but nothing else happens.

I also noticed that if I typed in /rcon kickid ID, it'll give me an error. It only seems to respond differently if I type /rcon /kickid ID. Yet as I mentioned before, it does nothing.

Is the convoluted way of using two slashes the correct way of typing commands in a KAG server, or am I missing something?

Finally, whenever I kick people using the Administrator options in the Menu screen, is it a permanent ban, or temporary? And if it is the latter, how long does it take to expire?

5. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

"/rcon /kickid number" should work if you have the players id from "/rcon /players"

All commands on a server use /rcon /command to work.

The kick from the menu is 30 minutes i believe.

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Default 30 , set in CFO file

Noburu likes this.
  7. CykoGamer

CykoGamer Shipwright

Hay, I Have A Question.
    When You Get Ingame How Do You Give YourSelf Admin Powers???

8. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

Press Home To Bring Up The Console, Type /rcon PASSWORD, Where PASSWORD Is The Admin Password.
    If You Typed It Correctly, You Should See The Following:
    (RCON) Rcon authentication passed.

9. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

The Mac doesnt have a "home" key an if I remember right it if fn then <- (the arrow key)

Valkyrie likes this.