1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical Overworld Circlejerk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamburglar, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Attention to anyone planning on being a lord or baron or major of any kind. Please hire me, when I'm a mercenary, or at least put bounties on robbers' heads. If you don't do anything like that, you may disappear mysteriously in the night, depending on how stealthy it'll be possible to be by the time they add an overworld. It'll be interesting if anyone ever puts a bounty on me (and people actually care)... I'll need to have a few secret hideouts.

Armies will be way more cowardly than they are now (probably), at least if they're fighting anyone they don't have a huge advantage over. No one wants to permadie. Soldiers will have to be payed pretty well. I hope Jamburglar's server never degenerates into A. Chaos or B. No war at all. Gotta keep that healthy balance of combat. Maybe I'll play a bit riskily to keep things interesting.

2. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Don't worry, there won't be chaos. It will be organized and people will use common sense or they simply won't play on that server. If I catch somebody randomly killing, trust me, they will be dealt with swiftly. I will have admins on 24/7.
    And there will be war. Me and other admins will never intervene in character conflicts unless somehow it ruins the server in some way. Wars will be left up to the players, king's and queen's. But you better have a reason for going to war, and odds are you will think very long and hard about it...because war means death, and you'll lose a considerable amount of soldiers. But I love that the stakes are high. Makes it more intense.

By the way, am I the only person that wouldn't mind roleplaying a tavern keep? Supplying beds and food for travelers in return for coin? Everyone is so focused on being the most badass fucks to ever grace the plains of KAG that in the end, it will only result in nobody being badass...you will NEED peasants and the people, just as much as you will need that sword. Because without the players that choose to roleplay farmers, merchants, blacksmiths...you will be absolutely nothing.

I don't think there is room in Overworld for the amount of cockiness a lot of people are showing...

kevron11, Miggles and Rayne like this.
  3. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

As I said, I'm far more along the lines of mason, speechwriter, and yesman. My joyful pking days are over. That said, I don't know how well the current fast-paced and thrilling combat we currently have can blend with the arcadian resource-based permadeath settlement idea many seem to be hoping for. I've really never viewed permadeath as a good thing (see: RotMG) and the idea of losing your invested character just because you weren't playing your best one night will probably foment more rage than joy in practice.

Still. I'll be building that wall for our Overlord, humming the song from Bastion or chatting incessantly to anyone who will listen. No vigilanteeism here.

Adinxs and Birdman159 like this.
  4. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Love it. We'd need players like that.

And as I understand, they will be adding more complexity to the game. It won't be as fast-paced, the fights will be much longer, and in the dev blog it says they will somehow present opportunities to retreat and such (I actually suggest a 'down' system, so I can fight people I do not intend to kill in a friendly spar, or have the option of sparing an opponents life) so even if you aren't playing your best, your equipment, skill level, allies.. they are all contributing factors to your survival. And it will be a very gritty feeling. You'll really get that feeling of "I have to survive"

When your friend you've been playing with the entire game, that you've built a close relationship with, sacrifices himself, giving you a boost so you can maybe jump up a ledge to escape a larger group of bandits, you are going to really feel like he made a sacrifice for you.

Or if you play with a woman and she becomes your wife in characterly...say eventually she is executed by a King to make an example of his subjects.. you will feel like you've been tossed right into Braveheart. And you'll actually have a reason to lead a rebellion.

You know, being even part of a King's army as a footman...the people you call your friends in that army, the ones you grow close to.. you'll watch them die in battle and you will feel it when they do.

That's what I want. I want that feeling when I see my best friend trampled trying to buy me time to escape. I want a nation of people to feel triumphant and rejoice at the death of a tyrant king, just as I want them to collectively mourn an honorable one...

Everything you do, every choice you make, will have a lasting effect.

lukepop, Dark_Ham, Zefree and 2 others like this.
  5. knightl

knightl Base Burner

Well if the combat starts dying down we could have mock battles where you do kill people but both sides have enough priests/clerics to revive people you know a little friendly competition.

If possible i would love to be a ranger who lives off the land but still serves the king with information from my little house in the woods

edit: One thing is this server going to have multiple kings or just one major king? (beside the evil luigi)

6. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

This isn't a thread for my server, this is a thread for Overworld in general.

But on the server I intend to host, there will be multiple nations. They may be peaceful, they may war. That's up to players to decide.

But as for the priests...don't even know that that would be added. And the ability to revive completely destroys the concept of permanent death.
    Mock battles would be on primarily deathmatch servers where perma death is toggled off so people can just respawn.

7. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

When this comes out I will do my best to be diplomatic and make many connections. I will also murder and backstab at random while justifying it with false accusations.

I will be a true politician.

edit: didnt read the thread so i didnt see luigi's post. basically that. fuck your peace and unity im going to kill everyone.

8. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Yeah, but that's because politician's these days aren't met with a dagger to the chest for their corruption. They can hide behind their laws and their ability to bend them to their will.

If I become a King, I will most likely order a Colosseum be constructed, and you better believe we're making slaves fight to the death, The Hunger Games style.
    I'll also probably release zombies and other ferocious animals into the arena. Should be an awesome event.

And just as the last victim falls to the ground at the mercy of his opponent... I press Q and bust out the emote bubbles.

[​IMG]

I'm convinced that's what the thumb down bubble was created for.

Adinxs likes this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Cheers for starting this thread guys. I'll be sure to check it from time to time to make sure I'm up to speed with what you guys are wanting in terms of the "feel" of overworlds.

10. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Hmm, a trap, I see, interesting.

Rayne likes this.
  11. knightl

knightl Base Burner

Oh i thought someone said a priest could revive you ( i was probarly in a evil mood so i might be talking just about necromancers) but i believe since it involves magic it would be rare.

As for the overworld in general i just really hope its balanced and theres lots of back-stabbing (theoretical) and i also hope theres a seasonal change that inflicts the crops *hint hint geti*

12. Trae

Trae Shopkeep Stealer

If the overworld is going to be as awesome as your conversation, then i am pretty sure that i should join a server, write down the events, and i would have the plot of an epic themed fantasy book.

All right, back on the topic.
    I am personally pretty negative about all that backstabbing actually happening, even on Jambourglars epic RP server. Why?
    People is going to be content with their positions, and shattering the trust of people will actually have consequences, since they will not follow or trust you afterwards.

Personally, i hope that what happens is not some static kingdoms and clans, but instead an enviroment, where you team up with people with the same interest, (killing that necromancer or raiding that village), and your quest instead is yourself to become powerful, not quest to build an kingdom. Everybody can not be king.

Dark_Ham likes this.
  13. BlueLuigi

It's always funner than it seems when permadeath is involved. Having trust in your friends/group is very, very, very important in these cases, as I've seen time and time again on other games that involve permadeath (namely Haven and Hearth).

I know I can trust all my friends so I can't wait for pillaging. The usual problem with bandits is the lack of trust, that not being an issue, being bandits could be very fun and very profitable. However, if cities offer their own advice we'll probably either have a front city (if you can do such a thing), or simply operate out of a city but be banditos/raiders. All of that subject to change as we get more information of course and see how things go. If for example there is much leveling up to do that is mostly done fast in cities, we will probably level up super fast as super fast as we can in cities and then rape and pillage, but who knows, for now I will simply ask Arcrave god of chaos for guidance.

Jamburglar and Rayne like this.
  14. knightl

knightl Base Burner

by backstabbing i meant more political wise like making someone seem like a ass or make them vote for something stupid also owning a kingdom will prove to be hard so im sure at start some people would form a kingdom but after some time the smaller less managed ones will be conquered

15. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

OK, you probably have a point, but... I really don't see the appeal of Role Playing as someone who has a really uninteresting role.

When I play as a mercenary, I think I'll hire myself (and my band, if I can get anyone to follow me) to one kingdom solely so I can go attack the mundane RPers in other kingdoms, to make their lives as farmers and merchants more interesting.

Also, if I manage to get enough people following me for it to be a sort of private army, we'll need our own blacksmiths and food management and stuff, so that'll be interesting.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  16. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

Actually after thinking about it for a while, dark lord is over done, I want to make a cult instead, and we will bow to Zigdrinogg goddess of slumber, and do crazy cult stuff

Adinxs, Rayne and BlueLuigi like this.
  17. Miggles

Miggles Shark Slayer

The problem here is graphics, honestly.
    There will be so many classes and castes that I'm afraid Geti might get in over his head in artwork. :o
    I still want to be a bandit.

18. BlueLuigi

That can come overtime, he'll I'd play with what we have so far

19. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

I hope "bandit" isn't a class. Or... it could be a class, but you'd have the freedom to be a bandit no matter what class you are.

Jamburglar and Rayne like this.
  20. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Exactly. Obviously bandit won't be a class, because what if I want to be an archer and a bandit? Bandit is more of a title than a class. And like Luigi said, it would work with even what we have now. So you could be a knight, but choose a life of thievery.

Why do some of you think there has to be an individual class for every single variable aspect of the game? We'd be left with a million classes that each only function at one miniscule thing...I don't want a class to be like chef, or farmer, etc. when a peasant or serf could perform all of these tasks. You have to think conservatively

BlueLuigi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.