1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Game consistently crashing 1/2 second after startup.

Discussion in 'General Help' started by FuzzyBlueBaron, Jan 12, 2012.

1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

NYOOOOOO!!! :(

Crashed like the others. Things worked before I left for America, when we were up to build 128 - it's only now when I've come back to this comp that KAG doesn't want to run. I suspect it's something in the new updates, but I can't imagine what. :(

2. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

Paste the contents of console logs instead of the crashlog. Do you have logs earlier than your trip to america? Compare and contrast those and maybe work out what has changed (i think Irrlicht was updated in one of the latest builds..)

[edit] Following gathered from various console reports @ the Help! section:

Posts from September 2011 to Nov. 7, 2011: Irrlicht Engine version 1.7.2
    Bug Report @ Dec. 11, 2011: Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.0-alpha

This could be totally irrelevant.. but if you're saying that nothing else has changed it ought to be considered.

3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

It doesn't seem to generate logs - there's nothing beyond 'app' and 'pid' in the 'Logs' file. This is what the console window manages to put up before it dies:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

As far as checking log files from before I went to America is concerned, I don't have any. As I said in the OP, I managed to delete my KAG folder - so it's kinda hard to retrieve anything from it. :(

4. FuzzyBlueBaron

Hmm. I think you may be right; however, the question then becomes: what now? I can't think of anything on my end I could change to compensate for a different engine - so does it just come down to waiting for a more stable version of Irrlicht?

5. I suggest going back to the engine that worked and use it to run kag.

6. FuzzyBlueBaron

Thing is - where to get a copy of it - and will work?

7. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

I don't think you can do anything. The game has moved on. Unless the devs decide to revert to an older version of Irrlicht for whatever reason.
    What I find even more strange is the lack of reproducability; nobody else reporting a similar bug (to my knowledge of course..)

8. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This makes me think that it is something with Windows. Something youve done inadverantly and dont remember. Are all of your other programs and game still working normally?

9. FuzzyBlueBaron

You're both right. Problem being, I can't think of anything I've done that would have caused it. The only direct variables I can think of is: 1) my deleting the folder with build 128 [as opposed to uninstalling or some such - maybe that left some registry files or something that's now clogging things up?]; 2) the new updates [including the new engine]; and 3) Act of God. Of the three I wonder (with all my ignorance) whether it's #1 -which leads me to ask is it possible that there's something left behind from an old install that messing things up? And if so, how do I fix it? :/

Of course, there's also indirect variables, like the computer just being gay just about KAG for the sake of it (not unpossible), but I don't see how that could be fixed without switching to a new machine. :(

10. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

KAG doesnt add anything to your registry (yet at least) so you have nothing to worry about there. I just wish we could figure it out for you so that you can come back and play with us!

11. FuzzyBlueBaron

Hmm. It's getting weirder and weirder...

And yeah, really wish I could be playing now. -_-

12. Static

Static Shopkeep Stealer

So you have removed build 263 and installed 265 run 265 year?

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

Afaik it claims it's build 263 even when it's build 265.

14. Static

Static Shopkeep Stealer

You completely removed the /KAG from your computer? inc desktop files and redownloaded http://kag2d.com/downloads/kag_win.zip

I'm pretty sure they are only up to 265 lol.

15. FuzzyBlueBaron

Yep. :\
    *facepalm*

16. nzrock

nzrock Shipwright

Sorry for thread hijack, but I'm getting the same problem(I think).
    It crashes to desktop as soon as it's done loading files and stuff, here's what it says at the end of the log:
    Code:
    [0]  ...Precaching files.
    [0] Loading config defines Scripts/defines.cfg
    [0] Creating world from file ''
    [0] *Match Ended*
    [0] Autostart: doing nothing
    [0] Config loaded from autostart.gm 
    What's missing from the log is a few extra line, one of them says "[0] END", the others I couldn't read cause the console window closed too fast :/

17. TheNickanator341

TheNickanator341 Shopkeep Stealer

This is probably not going to help at all, but I'll ask anyway just in case...
    Do you have any other program on while you start up KAG? It might conflict with it's startup.
    I know when I have Mumble on it won't let me play KAG.

18. FuzzyBlueBaron

Mmm. I solved my problem (at least in the short term) by building a new machine out of old spares lying around, but that doesn't really help you. :( Sorry I have no words of advice. :( :(