1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Server stability

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Teemo, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Does anyone know if there are specific limits set? When a server completely caps out it seems to randomly start dropping clients or other strange behaviour, and at 63/64 many people can't even connect, it just drops them with DISCONNECTED as soon as the map starts to appear.

Enabling killfeed seems to cause very VERY constant crashing
    Large maps seem to either never spawn people or cause constant crashing
    High player counts / approaching player cap seems to cause constant crashing?

2. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Anything over 32 players cause more and more problems. MM has said he hasnt optimized for more than 32 players yet. Most every server seems to have problems with larger maps as well. Combine a high player count and a large map and things really start going downhill.

Basically all you can do at the moment is keep player count at 32 or lower and dont use huge maps if you want your server to run "optimally".

I personally cant ever connect to any server at around 40 people.

3. Xiphosuran

Xiphosuran Shopkeep Stealer

I only have occasional drop-outs on high population servers, even on large maps. My friend in Toronto seems to have a little bit more of an issue with disconnecting. Ping plays a huge part in it, too, it seems. I'm pretty centrally located (Illinois), so unless I'm connecting to an EU/AUS/FR server or trying to go far west coast, I'm pretty alright.

4. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Update, I was stable on Jaedizzle's server with 46 people on and I connected at 42.

5. Teemo

as a random note for maybe debugging purposes

set a 48 slot (running stably at max) on extremely good hardware to 64 slots

it crashed within 5 minutes, last lines on log:
    [744068] Bad snapshot; skipping 227b fail 50 (last packet 50 once 59)
    [744068] Bad snapshot; skipping 227b fail 49 (last packet 50 once 59)
    [744068] Bad snapshot; skipping 227b fail 48 (last packet 50 once 59)
    [744068] Bad snapshot; skipping 227b fail 47 (last packet 50 once 59)
    Decompress_FastLZ: output too small 26 / 6553600 (data isnt compressed or corrupted?)
    Decompress_FastLZ: output too small 26 / 6553600 (data isnt compressed or corrupted?)

might try disabling compression and running a test 64 slot server
    edit: will try tomorrow

Noburu likes this.
  6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Disabling compression is what incarnum did for a while, it only helps so much. it rapes your network usage, be careful.

7. Teemo

somewhat curious, what kind of bandwidth use would you be expecting with it off lol

8. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

hmm, lets see... : http://logs.kag2d.nl/#kag/2011-11-26.html#00:45:24

a lot of bandwidth by anyone's standards :)

P.S Incarnum at the time run a hugely popular and hugely overpopulated server (30+ slots ,can't recall the exact number right now)

9. Teemo

haha, i've used around 1099GiB of bandwidth this month last week and a half only