1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Overworld and Adventures

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SirSalami, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I think you should spawn a long distance from everyone so that (at least in game) you shouldn't be able to die and then inform others of peoples defenses immediately.

2. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

How about roleplaying a guy who's looking for his father's killer?

[​IMG]

FuzzyBlueBaron, Rayne, Noburu and 6 others like this.
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Jamburgler: think of "changing class" as "changing equipment". If a player has learned both the skills needed to be a theif and a knight, they can choose which set of skills to use. Classes will be as they currently are, there will be limited "ability learning" around the edges of those classes - your abilities will be defined by your classes and therefore a player that wants to play jack of all trades will likely choose some fairly starkly contrasted classes. We'll make changing between roles something that's ideally done at the base, but if a thiefknight may need to swap to his sword and armour in a tight spot and I'm unlikely to simply prevent him from doing so.

Re: Spawning you'll likely have the ability to choose whether to spawn in the wilderness far away from anyone, or nearby to a civilisation as a migrant to that place. You'll spawn on the overworld, not inside any inhabited tiles and not on the current game screen.

Auri and Jamburglar like this.
  4. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I wish that low-level builders couldn't destroy buildings made by a high-level builder.
    A builder lv 13 should be able to destroy a building made by a level 5 and by a lv 17 but should take a lot longer on the second one and should be uncapable to destroy lv 33 stone blocks, for example.
    I don't like the idea of multiple classes.
    KAG is a game about teamwork, and the idea of overworld and permadeath is that you can create a history on each server right?
    So you should not just be able to, but need to trade and talk with other players. If you want to try different classes, just create a new char on a new server and make different history.
    Imagine this cenario:

You're a very rich craftman. You got tons of jewels in your pocket, but need to take them to the safety of your castle.
    If you're able to change class, you will just forge a sword, change to knight and defend yourself. No fun.
    If you aren't, you will have to hire a mercenary to protect you while you pay him with an amount of your profit.
    But you have to hire a trustable one, and he can't know how much money do you have, or he may betray you and steal all your jewels.
    But I like the idea of one sub class. You can be a knight who forge your own swords and repair your own shield.​
    Or an archer with some lockpick skills who makes money broking into castles at night. Or even a builder-alchemist, repairing defenses and making potions for your team.​
    You should be able to buy skills with experience from your main class tree and a limited proportion from your secondary class.​
    That's how I see it. :p​

Jamburglar likes this.
  5. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

That's how I'd want it too. It would be lame if everybody could do everything themselves, which is what Geti was getting by saying you can change classes nearly instantly anytime it's available. Which, in my opinion, destroys the point of playing a role and building on that specific thing in your character's development. But if you can be a knight and run around, come to a door you can't get through, then leave and change to be proficient in lockpicking only to bypass the door, it just loses it's fun...I'd rather walk around a tavern looking to hire some thief to pick the lock for me, have him join my outfit and we adventure together.

*edit* Sorry Geti I was typing this before you had submitted that post explaining it and didn't see it until after I had posted this

6. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Shark Slayer

I would think that multiclassing would be a good thing. Instead of a few identical top-level thiefs, there might be the thief who's also an expert swordsman, or a thief who teleports and summons fire imps. Being skilled enough and having the right equipment to combine separate classes could be something that the very best players use to their advantage. Low level players would have to specialize at first to be effective at what they want to do, but I see no reason to limit what a player can do if they put enough time and effort into improving their character. All this is dependent on this kind of stuff really requiring rare items and lots of time spent leveling and making enemies, but that just makes becoming a one-man superpower all the sweeter.

Or you could just go straight necromancer and be more awesome than everyone else. :D

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  7. Benedictthebald

Benedictthebald Shipwright

but it's not like you can just change class from your bumbling merchant into an heroic knight, you will still need to put effort into training towards it otherwise you will still be killed by the people your trying to get past. Albeit you will look more threatening so it probably would still be best to get a couple of people to help you because people wouldnt be very afraid of some low level loner knight. and you would probably end up getting killed by a group if you were alone.

8. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Wow so in depth and I liked alot of your ideas Jamburgular, and i read from page 1 to the end and on an iPod. A couple of things.
    1- will combat be played like it is now.
    And I haven't played much RPG type stuff or older generation stuff (only 14) but I have seen pokemon and like jamburgulur said will it like like how you walk around and it flashes around to the battle camera/in KAG'S 2D
    2- Is it only Geti an MM making this game.
    3- I don't understand the concept to the full extent but I do understand how the villages and stuff will work I just can't picture it all in 2D.
    GHOZT 

9. knightl

knightl Base Burner

imagine a map divided into tiny squares each like a big naught's and crosses game each village will take up one of them then when you enter it would be the 2d map you're familiar with in a way

edit: the lines wont actually be there itll be like mount and blades map i believe

10. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Well don't take anything I say as fact, I was only throwing around ideas/my plans. I don't want it to seem like I'm speaking on Geti's behalf or something. I will answer what I can though

I imagine actual combat wouldn't change too much, other than the fact that people will be able to be much stronger. Although the game is in Alpha, and last patch knights were given an extra %5 charge time to their slash attack, so who knows. Things like that might be tweaked and tweaked until the final release, the combat may feel entirely different.

What I gather from the dev blog post about it, players will walk around on the Overworld map and when they come into contact with a village, city, or potential battle, they will be taken to it in their own separate and personal game area. Geti said in the blog about it "Each feature of the map would be a “map” in the current sense of the game, with players leaving the map by walking off the edges and entering each map from the overworld by walking into it."

And I don't know all the devs, but I know Geti and MM have a small team together. Whether the rest of them do coding and art, I am unsure of.

11. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Ok thankyou for your help and I do know that everything that you say is not fact but I was complmenting you on some of your ideas.
    Wow it is unimaginable what some of the towers and CITIES will look like after an hour of work let alone three. But this is going to take a very long time but I can't wait this is going to be awesome. Oh one more thing will you need to have Internet to play?

12. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Are you asking if there will be a single player overworld mode or what?

You'll need internet to play with people using the internet. You won't need internet to play any single player modes that are available. You can probably play some sort of multiplayer over LAN with other people in your house, which is not the internet.

TooManyCats likes this.
  13. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Ok yes thankyou because my Internet disconnects alot.

14. GhostyS

GhostyS Shopkeep Stealer

this whole concept of the overworld reminds me of the PW mod for mount and blade warband. where its basically a map where you spawn in with nothing, you have to earn it all by doing things like mercenary jobs and you can create and join factions, and wage wars. i hope it turns out like it.

Jamburglar likes this.
  15. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

I play it too and yeah I've been thinking of it the exact same way. In ever way it's been described it sounds similar...which is fine, because the persistent world mod was amazingly fun, but unfortunately limited.. whereas this will not be

16. synthesispandabot

synthesispandabot Bison Rider

So many possibilities but such limited progress due to so many bugs, I hope the progress of this game can continue and regain stability and reach the goal. I love KAG's idea of a game and have been watching it everyday to see the interesting news along with posting here with the wonderful community that is KAG forums. Hopefully this is what you all see in this game too.

Mulpy likes this.
  17. Jermex

Jermex Shopkeep Stealer

This is EXTREMELY interesting.

I like all the proposed features!

I played till four AM last night and I'm already glad I bought the game.

On one map, I basically gathered resources and repaired our broken workshops, and that being a viable option felt really good.

On another map I pinned down the enemy archers so my knights could advance unharrassed.

and lastly I played a knight that dueled two people, keeping them occupied while my team swept their flank.

To think that this would get expanded to encompass a persistant kingdom? that is pure genius.

UnnamedPlayer, Mulpy, kylea and 5 others like this.
  18. well said. I was thinking the same exact thing, except the concept was to hard for my brain to grasp and compose into virtual text... so I comment on perfectly said posts like this to make it look like I know what I'm talking about. :D

UnnamedPlayer and Rayne like this.
  19. But to log into your full version account you need internet connection, How is this possible in premium solo with no internet connection?

20. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Good point. You may be right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.