1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Read this first! Do Not Embed More Than 3 Vids At A Time, Use Spoiler Tags

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by trelawney, Jan 22, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

I know you're eager to show the world how eclectic your taste in music is, or how lullzy those 10 clips you compiled off reddit truly are, but please, think twice before clicking that "Post Reply" / "Create Thread" button and Say NO to mass-embedding.

[​IMG]

The forum software is currently incapable of setting a maximum number of embeds per post, nor does it provide Spoiler tags.

A smaller number of embeds makes discussion flow less encumbered and encourages interaction - however loosely defined in a Linkdump or even a Favourite Songs context; you embed clip A , user comments on A and posts B, on which another user comments and so on , ad nauseam.

Users with older machines (yes, they do exist) have trouble even loading a page laden with multiple embeds.

[Update 2012-01-31] Spoiler Tags installed (copied from Shadlington's message below):

They can also use:
    Code:
    [spoiler=Some kind of note about the spoiler][/spoiler]
    To do this:
    Sooooo sexy.

2. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Users of Firefox, install the Flash Block addon and it will alieviate the slow down of trying to load tons of embeds somewhat.

Beef likes this.
  3. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

My name is Shadlington, and I support this message.

4. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

You may have to changes the rules to be a bit more specific. I think this really recent forum update auto embeds youtube videos regardless of whether you press the embed button or not. (It probably auto detects if a video is from youtube or not and then just embeds it.) The reason I know this is because I had a page with more than 5 embeds (which trelawney kindly fixed) and I tried making it just leaving the links instead of embedding but it didn't work.

People will start needing to things like embedding links into the text like this if they want to at show more than three links without breaking the rules (it looks a little cleaner anyways). Of course you could just limit it to just 3 videos regardless.

5. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yeah I have noticed this as well. I have tried to link to a specific point of a youtube video a couple of times and it will only play from the beginning and it auto embeds and strips out the part that starts it playing at a certain point.

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Why is this forum system used by anyone at all if it can't even have spoiler tags... that's just... that's just terrible, I mean c'mon.

e: Wait a damn second, they have the same thing on terrariaonline.com as I have been checking there for info about tConfig, and I am absolutely sure that they have spoiler tags.

Quick google-fu: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/creating-a-beautiful-looking-spoiler-tag.17083/

Noburu and Foxodi like this.
  7. Shadlington

BAM. Fixed.

So I guess we can use these now, huh?

Valkyrie, Rayne, Noburu and 2 others like this.
  8. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

This will be so useful now.

Sexy Spoiler Tag is Sexy.

Since there is no button right now for it, people will just have to know that
    Code:
    [spoiler] stuff [/spoiler]
    will create the spoiler.

9. Shadlington

They can also use:
    Code:
    [spoiler=Some kind of note about the spoiler][/spoiler]
    To do this:
    Sooooo sexy.

Templar_Frost likes this.
  10. PeterPan14