1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Is the bomb jump an intended, permanent mechanic?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by theBeaz, Jan 31, 2012.

1. theBeaz

theBeaz Shopkeep Stealer

I'm just curious if this is just an alpha thing or if it will remain. I know bomb jumping is a slightly learned skill, but it just seems a little odd to me in a game like this. It's entertaining and all, but it nullifies a lot of build types and defenses when someone can just rocket themselves over all of it. Perhaps I don't fully understand the downside of bomb jumping?

Someone educate me please.

prostosuper likes this.
  2. ShadowFire2010

ShadowFire2010 Haxor

Bomb jumping is an intended mechanic and no you cant jump over everything because you can make it higher and if you try to get higher with a superman jump sometimes it will kill you

3. theBeaz

theBeaz Shopkeep Stealer

I didn't say they could jump over everything, just that it nullifies a lot of defenses. Obviously "build higher" is a solution but that can potentially come at a much higher cost than the cost of one bomb. I just thought it was an odd design decision but if it's intended... then it's intended!

Kagesha likes this.
  4. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Just line tops of buildings with spikes etc.

I do agree it could do with a tiny nerf, like taking a half heart or heart damage from it. Another downside is often bomb-jumping can only be done a single player at a time, which leaves the knight vulnerable in enemy territory. It's sometimes difficult to pull off when people are trying to shoot or attack you. Additionally, to bomb jump really high you have to jump just before the bomb is put down, which does require more skill than the ordinary bomb jump.

Froghead48 likes this.
  5. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Bomb jumping allows me to fight at enemy base when my team is all slashing against a 5 tiles wall.
    It's not like it's an overpowered mechanic, I like it the way it is.
    Builders can build taller, knights can bomb jump too and archers can shot you with a charged arrow and make you blow yourself up.
    It makes you very vulnerable, but still give you a change of being a hero.

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Not overpowered really, when most people find it to be it is in games where the skill is so different between teams that the outcome was already set no matter what

7. Tyngn

Tyngn Ballista Bolt Thrower

I love the mechanic and all that but what i realize is in small battles 3v3 or something around that people cannot build tall enough towers in the half a minute they get so somebody can just bomb jump in, rob the flag and bomb jump out.

8. BlueLuigi

It's called having a roof, so what one gets in, 2v1 him and make sure he can't get to the flag, fending off bomb jumpers is not hard, lots of spikes and a big front tall wall do great

9. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

In 12v12 definently not overpowered.
    In a 3v3 rctf yes most likely overpowered because that team that knows how to do it better will get flag by 1.bombjumping there and take flag then kill one guy maybe taking his bomb and bombjumping out.
    2.Bombjumping there and throwing the flag out of the base to a ally.
    3.Run there to the flag and bombjump out with it.

10. BlueLuigi

If there are no builders, yes, but this is how RCTF works, I still wouldn't say they're overpowered because you are removing one of the classes that determine the balance.

11. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I'm fine with it, although I think that it'd be quite good if doing the bombjump while shield up made you lose a heart - remember that one guy can easilu jump over enemy structure and destroy all their workshops. It is a some problem in smaller servers.

12. BlueLuigi

Held bomb jumps should be removed honestly :p
    Personal opinion though, since they make little sense! But it would remove fun hard tactics like superhero or triple bomb jumps

FuzzyBlueBaron, Contrary and Neat like this.
  13. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Superhero and triple bomb is impossible now anyway.

14. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

No you need a to a certain amout of blocks away from original bomb but super hero is possible.

15. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

I am all for nerfing bombjumping while holding the bomb. Proposed losing of a heart is pretty good IMO. But I also had a crazy idea: you loose coins when bomjumping. They just slip out of your pocket somehow. Imagine Knights shitting diamonds all over enemy lines. :)

16. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Coins raining over our head ! It's Christmas !

17. BlueLuigi

Superhero still works, but it plays like zero lag ( see video I posted in that thread before)

18. theBeaz

theBeaz Shopkeep Stealer

Oh so you take no damage? Well that is kind of dumb then. I assumed they were taking at least a half-heart or something. Any game I've known with bomb/rocket/disc jumps you do it at the risk of your own health (including games with fall damage). I don't see any reason for it to be a damage free process.

And just so everyone knows my position - this isn't some huge, irate complaint about the state of the game. It's just a funny mechanic (and even stranger now that I know you don't take damage) and I was curious :)

If they add 0.5 - 1 heart loss from a bomb jump then I think it would be a perfectly "balanced" mechanic and on par with what is expected based on other games that made [explosion]-jumps famous.

19. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I agree on taking out holding jumps, though actually it is relevant to note that I only found out about holding jumps ages after coming up with the superhero. I think that early when bomb jumping was first made viable holding jumps didn't work, so I always just threw right before it exploded. For ages I had just assumed everyone who was hold jumping just had good timing.

Also I don't think bomb jumping is overpowered in true RCTF- it was pretty obnoxious in the tourney due to the relatively high life counts. In real RCTF it's a huge gamble. Plus even if it were truly overpowered, this is something that could be fixed by altering RCTF maps rather than changing core game mechanics.

Also, thebeaz why are you commenting on bomb jump balance when you are clearly not very familiar with it? I don't mean to be all aggro on you or anything I'm jus' sayin'.

20. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

Umm, guys? I was once a fan of these bomb jumping knights... that was until a 2vs2 match with me and a random called lachie, vs... MOLE Unnamedplayer and MOLE cyzeth*, on the MOLE server, we had a ridiculously short build time, and no matter what defence we put up, Unnamedplayer just, bomb jumped straight over it grabbed our flag and threw it back over, or worse still just demolished our structures, due to it being an American server my ping was not the best (466) which is only just playable for me, also a lot of my attacks did not register, so bombs became incredibly to blow me apart with, I eventually decided that without a better stratagen than turtling to protect the flag we would continueally lose every match... so I left.

P.S. probably got a little of topic towards the end, sorry, and Unnamedplayer, you need to increase the build time on your server.

Not sure I spelt it correctly, if wrong please advice.

UnnamedPlayer and Beef like this.