1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Average age of KAG player?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Obzen, Feb 3, 2012.

?

How old are you?

1. 12 and under

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. 13 - 15

40 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. 16 - 18

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. 18+

94 vote(s)
    53.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parity

Parity Shipwright

23 here.

2. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

EDIT: For you, Neat: [​IMG]

Neat likes this.
  3. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

I am 19 :))))0

I'm pretty surprised that the majority who voted are over 18, but I gotta agree that this poll isn't very accurate. While this game does tend to attract more of the older crowd that doesn't mind a moderate learning curve, I'm sure most of the youngins have little interest in having drawn-out forum discussions.

4. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

As someone else has said usually older players join forum,so this poll doesn't show the true state of community.

FliesLikeABrick likes this.
  5. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

6. Arlus

Arlus Shopkeep Stealer

You should add more option to your poll and not only a +18. The majority votes for this option so we don't really know if there are 30+ or something. I'm 23 btw

Noburu likes this.
  7. CoughDrop

CoughDrop KAG Guard Tester

19!

[​IMG]

8. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

23 :eek:

Chrispin likes this.
  9. Obzen

Obzen Shipwright

I would but I can't seem to edit the poll. Like I said before, I was expecting KAG's demographic to be younger and didn't anticipate so many adults to be playing.

I agree the poll isn't really representative of KAG's broader playerbase but I think the more serious players (long-term, clanners etc) would visit here occasionally.

10. Inexorable

Inexorable The おっぱい lovin' nipple wizard. Donator

Well it seems KAG is a game for real men... :B):

Grrr I play KAG, ugh!

11. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

12. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

That smile is very suspicious.
    You're up to something, aren't you?

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

23 going on 24. :) (<-- see, Neat?)

Heh. I'm probably older than most people I play with and yet *I* can be a real dick some of the time. Prolonged exposure to stupidity ("Stop messing up my tower damnit! Go build your own!") + lag + lack of sleep and/or feeling cranky and stressed for RL reasons can tend towards me being a less than amiable blue baron at times. My apologies to any/all if you've had cause to be around me like that. :oops:

And just for the record (speaking as someone trained in developmental psychology):
    Young people are not stupid/morons/idiots/etc. Granted the majority of them would do well to pay closer attention to peeps further down the road of life - but to call them out as retards is, well, infantile. Young people swim in a world that glorifies 'youth' but actually doesn't cater to the needs of those who are 'youthful' by virtue of their, you know, actually being younger. Young people also have a hell of a lot of change going on (physical, emotional, relational, situational, etc. --> all of it stressful and most of it happening all at once), they have higher levels of hormones (often over 14x what 20-40 year-olds are running around with --> keeping in mind that any increase in hormone levels tends to greatly amplify any stress or cognitive dissonance already present) and, to cap it off, this is the first time they've ever dealt with this shit before! (and experience goes a loooooooooong way to mitigating the whole 'change times stress to the power of hormone' problem --> which is why listening to older peeps is a good thing --> vicarious experience FTW! :D).

Of course, this is not to imply that young people are unstable or anything like that; rather, those of the younger persuasion tend to find themselves in the unenviable position of having to do new things (always scary) with untried skills (scarier still), a body that's not helping matters endocronologically (eep!) and [often] a general lack of support from the world around them (aww crap :(). It therefore behoves us older types to cut them some slack and (if possible) offer help/advice where/when needed.

tl;dr
    Young people have a lot on their plate and often as not some bastard has stolen the fork - give 'em a break!

14. Inexorable

Inexorable The おっぱい lovin' nipple wizard. Donator

I read that and I agree. (Being 18 and having read about such myself)

But lets just call all that "Retardation" for short ay?
    :D

Ej likes this.
  15. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I don't have a problem with kids... I have a problem with kids who are pig-headed and don't take advice or criticism.

16. Sarmane

Sarmane Go Tau'va yourself San Diego. Donator

i would dare say we are the community of kag... the ones who are on the forums :D those that aren't dont really count as much tbh even if their not kids

FuzzyBlueBaron and evol_nomad like this.
  17. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

EDITED FOR CLARITY:
    @thebonesauce: I think partly what FBB was suggesting is that kids of that age are actively conditioned to BE pig-headed and advice-shunning. So sure, you get the ones that manage to avoid that, and they're wonderfully mature. But at the same time, they lose some level of responsibility for their immature actions.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  18. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I have to say, you do raise a fair point; it's hard to count people who aren't involved with the community as a part of the community. But then, on the other hand, just because you don't know (or even see!) most of the people in your neighborhood doesn't mean they're not a part of it. So things kinda cut both ways.

Personally, I feel that those who aren't on the forums are 'nominal' members of the KAG community - they have the badge, they occasionally wear the shirt, but they're missing out on a large part of what KAG has to offer. We have a really warm and engaging community here, and I've noted a number of outsiders commenting how much they like what they see here. In that light, I think that the no. 1 duty of players who are plugged into the community (apart from enjoying the game+discourse and ensuring that things remain enjoyable) is to encourage those players who aren't plugged in to come on over, say "hi", receive a free KAG tip, and just generally participate in the wider life of the community. :B):

(okay, enough off topic - just something to keep in mind next time you run across a noobie, eh?)

19. Sarmane

Sarmane Go Tau'va yourself San Diego. Donator

^

100% in agreement- minecraft has its nice community persona established, starcraft has its, i dont know much about other ones but kag has its chance here to mold one that makes outsiders or those who do play but dont engage as much more then welcome to join :D

FuzzyBlueBaron and Obzen like this.
  20. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Where?

Also, I'm 17. ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.