1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

More Documentation Please!

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by EchoLynx, Feb 21, 2012.

1. EchoLynx

EchoLynx Catapult Fodder

The lack of documentation for the KAG server is extremely frustrating. We need:
    • An overview of what the server is capable of doing and what features are in the works.
    • A list of requirements for running the server. (Memory footprint, bandwidth required, all ports used, etc)
    • A manual of procedures for accomplishing basic tasks. (E.g. using custom maps)
    • An outline of the files in kag_linux (particularly for the configuration files) outlining what each file does and when it is used.
    • An extensive manual covering all of the configuration parameters that can be safely customized.
    These will certainly improve overall server quality and will likely improve server quantity.

illu, DUZ and Machinista like this.
  2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Most of this could be done by users but is frustrating to conpile and explain, things moving now and then does not help, combine it with some folders and methods seeming absolutely useless and you have a huge headache.. It's probably best to wade through and come up withsaqfor everything you hard to actually 'think' for

3. EchoLynx

EchoLynx Catapult Fodder

Writing documentation is the least fun part about programming. I understand that. But this is not enough.

In addition, the users should not be made to write the documentation for the very reason you described. The users cannot possibly know what is going to be in the next release.

4. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Wait until you find all the undocumented fun stuff, the extreme server instability above cerain player levels, large maps causing no one to spawn!!!
    Now wait for all of your documentation to be deprecated every time there's a new version!!!

Yay!

Kouji and trelawney like this.
  5. EchoLynx

EchoLynx Catapult Fodder

I've alread scratched the surface trying to update the wiki.
    From my perspective, the only way to get the developers to write some documentation is to campaign for it. In addition to my new signature, I am going to start mentioning it whenever I can.
    I encourage everyone else to do the same.

6. MonkyD

MonkyD Builder Stabber

I agree with EchoLynx, documentation is too sparse and I was only able to set my server up with his help.

7. Machinista

Machinista Shopkeep Stealer

No question that more detailed docs and further improvements/enhancements would be nice. I will say though that KAG has one of the easiest dedicated servers I've ever setup. It also has some decent basic features for a game still in alpha: password protection, premium only setting, ping kick, ingame rcon, LAN only option, linux and windows variants. I'm sure there's more that I've not explored yet. Oh and runs on very modest h/w. Pretty good so far I think.

Noburu likes this.