1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Game needs a change of mind set.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FlameHaze3, Feb 29, 2012.

1. I believe I read on the forums somewhere that there used to be a cap but it was heavily complained about. Don't take my word for it, I could definitely be wrong.

I think a friend's list could be an easy way to get around things like this. You can get on with friends easily and together help people out. Seeing which servers your added friends are on, etc. It could help with general moral, seeing people that actually work together...working together, and attempting to get others to work together.

thebonesauce and FlameHaze3 like this.
  2. Emurus

Emurus Catapult Fodder

Yeah, I would like a friends list as well, like most people in most games. I tend to do better when playing with people I know, probably because I know the way they play, maybe even in my sub-conscious.

Maybe the Zombie update will unify the people.

3. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Or perhaps not. My point is both modes require teamwork which is the current problem we have.

4. Emurus

Emurus Catapult Fodder

Both modes do/will require teamwork.

Teamwork Tip 001:
    A good thing to know is that if you have plenty of money you should buy some bombs and arrows for your teammates.

Teamwork Tip 002:
    Knights, defend your archers =P

thebonesauce likes this.
  5. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

A friend list thingy would be nice for sure, that was asked like months ago and I guess we will be getting it someday.

Meanwhile, you can join IRC and ask your clan bummies to join the same server, or find a server with mostly a good playerbase. I haven't played in a month now, but Beo's CTF at least was back then a nice place to hang around.

6. mangus

mangus Builder Stabber

Quite honestly, I think pub games are right where they need to be. Well, a little bit of bug fixing here and there, but as far as features and fun level go they're perfect. A lot of pubs love those huge monoliths and enjoy the immense glee they get from taking down the enemy's.

When I look at a game on the pub level, I should be able to grab some popcorn, play for a few hours, and have a smashing good time. Which KAG accomplishes very well for me.

As far as competition goes, it's up to us, the players, to arrange this. Like an earlier post says, find out the servers where the higher skill cap players are at. As much as I defended the pug aspect, I'm a nut for competition. I'm the kid who secretly nerd rages on DOTA. When I'm looking for a challenge, I always try to hop on those servers...call a known name out and try to best them. Granted, I'm relatively new still and I get my ass handed to me. But it's one hell of a rush.

7. Pub games are where they should be. If you want organized games with good players, join a clan. I don't expect random youngins' I play with to follow strategy to a point.

Beef and thebonesauce like this.
  8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

And that's the huge downside to me being a lone wolf in games like this. :B):

Birdman159 likes this.
  9. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

I agree though, it's hard to control a player base especially if the game is partially free to play. Pretty much like those jokes they make in tf2 and WoW raids :D.

Hopefully I'll make maps for zombie modes and host servers where premiums can play together. Here's a good thing though, zombies are only for premiums :p.

10. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Aaaaaargh !!!
    Teamwork Tip 003 :
    Knights, shield and defend your offensive builder and stop spamming :ladder: emote while jumping around him ! It driving me mad ! I know what I have to do ! :>:(:

thebonesauce likes this.
  11. I have seen so many offensive builders who've gotten the :ladder: emote & take forever to actually place them, it drives me crazy. Yet I've trained myself to be competent and know where and when to build the forward towers. (Not saying you're incompetent, though; just a huge portion of the age ten and below playerbase. :) )

And another thing, have you ever had a builder on your team digging a huge hole for a spike trap, and you fall in as a knight? Normally the builder lets you out, but mine told me to commit suicide in his pit even though I had three bombs. Soon after, the other half of my team got stuck in the same hole. :( The moral of the story, teams should and NEED to work with one another better, and help their teammates rather than let them die in the pit of evil.

12. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

True story, I once sat and waited for a whole 10 minutes for a builder to build me ONE ladder. What was the builder doing? Mindlessly hitting right click on thin air for the entire 10 minutes. Did someone let a baby onto their account or something?

13. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I wish it weren't so, I can tame dragons but those fucking pubs... Impossible!

Worm likes this.
  14. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

I noticed that giant trap pit of evil death kill more teammate than enemies.
    Did builder told you to commit suicide ? :( It's really sad... In what sort of world do we live ?

15. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Generally the best solution is to play on smaller servers (32 player max), you find out which are the half decent ones after a while, no huge build time so no stupidly large structures and you can communicate properly. Most of the players wanting to build needlessly large towers, skybridges and vast pits gravitate toward big servers anyway it seems. Personally, as liberal a guy as I am, I wouldn't mind seeing some servers where they didn't mind kicking a few players here and there until they had a bit more grasp of what they're doing, not just your basic grievers and hackers, so then we could have some higher level play, the only high level play you seem to get is when you have 1 team 80% comprised of half a clan's players dicking on another team that doesn't stand a chance.

As for teaching players, I've given up for the most part, however if a player asks why I'm replacing their ground level door out without been a cock I'll happily teach them some basics, iy's all about knowing which people are actually gonna listen, most won't but it's worthwhile to root out those that might give a shit.

16. Mugumaster

Mugumaster Shipwright

I know that ... When you fix some fatal construction flaws most noobs start bitchin' at you and don't listen to reason.
    But if someone is willing to listen, I gladly teach them some advanced builder techniques.

17. westwood11

westwood11 Shipwright

I usually stick to knight and let the pros build, this way there is no arguments and the building being built are helpful.
    I think it would be helpful if you can't be a builder unless you have finished the tutorial.

18. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

The tutorial is just for laugh. And even reading all builder forum thread, and looking at Strathos, won't make you a skilled builder.

19. westwood11

westwood11 Shipwright

Agreed, but if a builder is taking 10 mins to place a ladder he is either a extreme derp or is new to the game tutorial would teach him the basic so he doesn't screw up the games of people who know what there doing.

20. Emurus

Emurus Catapult Fodder

Aha, and that brings up another one.

Teamwork Tip 004:
    If possible, as a builder, build ladders to carry your team to success.