1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

General Map Making Discussion.

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Eggnogg, Nov 15, 2011.

1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

The tile with the most breakable states is probably rock with 24 (Thick rock has 24 as thick rock then 24 as rock), you could split that into 4, and give everything a max of 4.

Isn't important, but would allow ruins to look much better.

JacKD likes this.
  2. Jackal

Jackal Shark Slayer

Yeah, I wish we could have more tile availability. Thank you for the help guys. Now I need some people to give input on my map... *Leaves everyone hanging.*

3. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

4. BlueLuigi

Jackal likes this.
  5. Eggnogg

Also, the discussion thread is here.

6. Eggnogg

The new map format is here!

The relevant changes:
    I haven't had the chance to try the new format yet. If anyone else has, then share your experiences.

7. BlueLuigi

I've tried it, but I have not tried it for saving states/workshops or messing around with it, but simply to check out the files, I did not find anything special about them really, for example placing tents, how do I do that? No idea (Meaning I can't do what I wanted and place tents for the 'other' classes). I was assuming at first we might get a standalone editor with it or some updates to the ingame editor at the least to do these things that we cannot, for example, how would we even place trees? This takes a backburner atm to the current problems, but it seems to have some faults that need fixing

8. Eggnogg

Yeah, it seems that the only thing we get this build is the new file format. I'm guessing we get better map editor when the big build comes out, or much longer.

9. aquasheep

aquasheep Bison Rider

Is anyone hosting a dedicated map-making server? If you had it cycle through random maps and then allowed everyone to edit and save what they made, it would be kind of cool to have collaborative map-making. It could be like a Wiki for KAG maps.

10. BlueLuigi

Not enough freedom with editor or restrictions to rcon

11. aquasheep

aquasheep Bison Rider

:/ Well, once we can edit in zombies, this may become a reality. It would be epic to have someone manage the horde.

12. BlueLuigi

I wish to propose a challenge to fellow mapmakers, not that I'm a prolific or very good one, but I do store a lot of them:
    Let us start a repository of maps, dropbox would work perfectly fine for our needs, the few things that we need to do are:
    a)Categorize the maps, I have a rough way of doing this, many maps fit in multiple categories though, will go over my current way later down in the post
    b)Version the maps
    c)Name ALL the maps available, many map makers don't name their maps, this can be a problem
    d)Find a way to also credit the damn maps, we can do this by keeping a detailed README in there I guess
    e)Preferably also keep a mapcycle made for each folder that provides a sample mapcycle that would work (only linking the latest versions of each map to run).

I would be perfectly fine with making the dropbox, and I'm sure a free account would work, I'm not sure however if a conversation should be made and most mapmakers (and server owners!) added to it, or if we should just make it perfectly open (open to it's own host of problems). I'm also not sure if dropbox can be shared in a way to allow people (server owners, general interested parties) to connect but not upload or change things, although I'm guessing not. If dropbox does not fit the bill I am sure that sugarsync will.

Okay, here is how I categorize my maps currently on my server, and how I can keep them all backed up on our clan dropbox:
    /AD - Attack/Defense, no overlap they all go in here
    /UCTF - Unlimited CTF, smaller maps, mostly designed around the concept of UCTF, takes 1st precedence for CTF maps
    /Coop - Coop maps, no overlap they all go in here
    /CTF - Bigger CTF maps including mapgens, takes last precedence for CTF maps
    /Duel - Any arena style maps for just fighting archers/knights
    /FFA - 3-5 team designed maps
    /GH - Gold hunt maps
    /RCTF - Rapid Capture The Flag, takes precedence over RDM, if capping the flag is a possibility/it's good for that it goes here.
    /RDM - Rapid Death Match
    /Template - Templates for map making, different general sizes, easily loaded up.
    /Training - Maps to train, whether it's parkour, bombjumping, archery, whatever.

It's what I'm working on now, things like RDM could probably be merged with RCTF and then RCTF just referenced as RDM, CTF could probably all go together but I think the differences in playstyle warrant the seperation. GH is defunct so very few/no maps are made for it. Templates are probably not necessary at all for this pack it's just something I keep around. Folders in folders can definitely exist so that we can separate for example Training maps, but none of these folders have gotten big enough to warrant any splitting in this style, unless I put UCTF under CTF, or RCTF under RDM (instead of a straight merge).

If anyone is willing to take over this directly, that would be beautiful, if not it will go very slow as I just set the basic stuff up and move on from there.

Contrary and Noburu like this.
  13. SonofSkz

SonofSkz Shipwright

Hi, I'm thinking of having a little clan competition, does anyone have a suggestion for a good obstacle course map? any help would be greatly appreciated

14. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Would suggest jump maps, but unfortunately, due to some of the changes, they don't work completely anymore. So there really aren't that many right now.

15. Eggnogg

They're still possible to make, but just can't involve as abstract jumps anymore.

16. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Hence ruining the fun IMO :(

17. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I haven't tried a jump map lately, but I find vaulting much easier in this build(319) than in 228, so it might be possible to include all of the old jumps, maybe not though.
    I'll try it out later.

Boxpipe likes this.
  18. I tried running Clazy's labyrinth in this build.

Guess what, no lights anywhere.

Eggnogg likes this.
  19. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

The issue is you can't do some of the more fancy jumps that you used to be able to like this:
    Start here:
    :castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::migrant:

get here:
    :castle_wall::migrant: