1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Read this first! Map Making Tutorial

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Rayne, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

So, since I'm cleaning up this part of the modding section, and it's way easier to just do this, instead of deleting every non-informative post I'll just make a new thread and paste the important info into here.

If you post a map the threadname should begin with the game mode you want the map to be used for and the name of the map.
    For example "[CTF] Super map".
    If it could be used for different game modes do it like this: [CTF][TDM] Crazy Map .
    If you want your thread to be renamed just send Rayne or Contrary a pm.

[CTF] - Capture The Flag
    [TDM] - Team Death Match
    [1vs1] - 1 versus 1 'Arena'
    [GH] - Gold Hunt
    [AD] - Attack / Defense
    [Any] - You don't care
    [Idea] - If you just wanted to show your map idea without anyone using it for a specific gamemode
    ... - Maybe you can think of other gamemodes I haven't thought of yet. Tell me!^^

If you find this on your post: [???], send me a pm with the gamemode and the mapname!

It is always good to post an ingame screenshot to see how it actually looks.
    Some users would like to know the exact size of your map so if you want add it to your post.

If you just want to post a question or anything which is about maps but not a map, just post the thread without anything in brackets.

In this thread we can discuss what you would like to see in the maps-forum and I will edit the rules mentioned above while we do so.

Before you post a map, unless it's an idea or a template or whatever, it must be complete. That means the spawns too. We don't need incomplete maps that may never become completed.

This is my dodgy tutorial on how to make a map! (There are other ways to make a map, but I find this way most comfortable)
    Colour Palette: https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/map-colours.6204/
    First download paint from HERE, then you need to download a map from the map part of the forum found HERE, this map needs to include team doors, trap bridges ETC. all the things not found in the default maps.
    (You will also need a default map for this)

Open paint.net and load up your downloaded map, plus a default map found in your KAG folder. (In your "C:" drive there should be a KAG folder, then it is KAG/Base/Maps/Duel2.png)

View attachment 5341 View attachment 5342

In the menu bar and tabs up the top enable Grid lines and rulers (Optional)

Go file new and make a new blank sheet, (Forgot what it is called) the size depends on what map you are making.

View attachment 5344

Next you need to use the "Paint dropper" and to equip it as your cursor press "K" or the icon in the next image will show you the icon. Then you want to click a colour in the image. (You need to know what it is, so at the bottom of most maps is bedrock so it is best to start with bedrock.) and press "P" for the drawing pencil, (It is best to have the pencil size to 1.) and go to your blank sheet and draw the bottom as bedrock.

View attachment 5345 View attachment 5346 View attachment 5347 View attachment 5348

You can now do this with a different colour, the next image is a team door, and just repeat step 5.

View attachment 5349

This is just some tips about the trees, the tree colour is in fact not the same, it changes ever so slightly, The different types of tree are as followed;
    The shade of 105 is the bushy/tree top.
    The shade of 104 is a normal tree trunk but with some sticks/low scrubs.
    The shade of 103 is, sorry I forgot, if someone could comment it below or I will test when I get home, thanks)
    The tree changes depending on the placement of the tree and colour itself, like if you put a "104" at ground level it may make a shrub type bush. So you can never make the tree perfect.

I will now teach you to save and launch your map. Firstly and most importantly is when you save you MUST have the map as 24bit or it will crash when you load the map up.

View attachment 5357 View attachment 5358
    Pretty simple, and when you load up your map you write "/loadbitmap <your chosen map name>" This has to be correct, ad I don't think it is case sensitive.

View attachment 5359

Thanks for checking this is out, and when I have some time I can make a smoother tutorial, and the reason behind making this, well I don't think Wonka's tutorial was easy to read, and this one is also in English.
    (Thanks to Electro for this map, I use this map for all my maps, and is below. :) )
    Hey ho!

Making a map is really easy but people often asking how it's done, so I decided to make this tutorial.

What you gonna need:
    - KAG (free- or full-version)
    - Paint.net (Gimp e.g. would work, too)
    - The Color-Palette

Extra:
    KAG Color-file for Paint.net

[​IMG]

gimp palette:
    GrafX2 palette:
    Open Paint.net and load the colors.
    Make a new file which is as big as you think your map will be. (Each pixel is one tile ingame)
    [​IMG]
    (btw sry that my programm isn't english)
    You may use bigger map sizes like 200x200(good server btw) but for the tutorial we use 32x64. 200x200 is also no big map there are even bigger maps because of the teamsize.

Now you will have to zoom in to see each pixel.
    Turning the grid on will help!
    Each pixel is one tile in game.

First thing you should do is fill everything with sky!
    And if you don't want to have a pit to fall to the death you should make bedrock on the bottom of the map, on the bedrock u could for example put some dirt for now.
    Example for an area with 2 pits in the mid and floating dirt:
    [​IMG]

Because floating dirt doesn't seem to be that normal we just make a mountain out of it by putting background where it's necessary. (sometimes some holes look also good so...)
    [​IMG]
    (I also added some ladders to get on top)

Now lets talk about the tents!
    Because of some kind of debug, cause tents sometimes stick into the ground, I always put tents one tile above the ground and between the tent and the ground there is one tile background, which you won't see on the server.
    [​IMG]

So like you may already have seen trees have more then one color.
    Trees:
    13,102,34 - stump (I never use)
    13,103,34 - trunk
    13,104,34 - branches
    13,105,34 - tree top
    13,254,34 - Only MM and Geti know!

A good tree for example looks like this:

But they don't always look the same it depends on different things how they actually look!
    Let's add the same tree at different positions to show you:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So now you know what I mean! (btw in editor u don't see tents!)

Also you shouldn't make a map full of dirt, put some different elements in the ground so that it looks more nice.

Some bedrock under the tent is always good, because sometimes you can't mine under the tent even if it is dirt.
    [​IMG]

One important thing is that you save it with 24-Bit Depth, otherwise all of your trees may look bad or everything but bedrock disappears.
    Save it as a .png!
    [​IMG]

That's the main thing you need to know on how to make it, you can also add an castle or build some other things in it like you may know from the maps on the server Rapid Deathmatch.

If there is anything missing or you have any questions just let me know.

I wish you much fun with your new maps!​
    Hello! So I decided to make a map making tutorial video for all of you who are visual learners. I hope this helps!

Examples :

Here is the written tutorial if anything is unclear: https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/map-making-tutorial.1834/

More tutorials will be coming out soon!

Thank you to:
    Wonka: for the written tutorial
    Incarnum: for one of the pallets.
    1.) First, you need to find and put your custom map into the games map folder (Program Files\KAG\Base\Maps) make sure it's .png

2.) After that you do that, you go to "Single Player" -> "Sandbox"

3.) You'll be in a randomly generated map, to get the map you specifically want, you have to go to in the console (aka "Home" button) and type in the "/loadbitmap MAPNAME"
    Hello fellow mappers,

I have created a set of swatches to use in your KAG mapping needs (if you use Photoshop that is, if you don't, you better start using it)

A pic (using the Small List view of swatches)

[​IMG]
    Usage​
    Simple, choose a 1 pixel pencil and start paintin'​
    Installation​
    Double-click the ACO file, alternatively load/replace manually using the swatch context menu.​
    Download​

Zaldarr, I3lue, SirSammy and 13 others like this.
  2. DustStorm

DustStorm Shipwright

just a question, can we make up any game modes? for example Capture the hill?

3. Filio

Filio Shopkeep Stealer

... There is a game mode section. :/

4. Tyngn

Tyngn Ballista Bolt Thrower

My question, If someone were to create a map making program would it defeat the main purpose of in-game map editor, potentially lessening the need for Gold?

5. Filio

Filio Shopkeep Stealer

Hmm... I really don't think there would need to be one, you can just open up good ol' paint and make a map. And it works pretty well.

6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

The in game map maker is kind of shit for making maps. I prefer cracking open MSPaint any day.

BlueLuigi, Noburu and Rayne like this.
  7. Creille

Creille Base Burner

I use map editor on a sandbox map then save the map and open it in paint (this way you have a good idea of what your creating)
    then once ive done the paint section ill go back into editor and do some finishing touches i think its the best way for it :)
    and i didnt read this when i started making maps so i had to figure it all out on my own :P
    Question: What colours are mossy stone and mossy background wall?

8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Not sure on their colors or if they have colors honestly (probably don't, probably .cfg/.kag only), but you can try by saving a map that has mossy stone and then checking it's color in paint/photoshop/paint.net/whatever.

9. Rayne

Mossy blocks don't have colours assigned to them at the moment, they'll just save as normal stone blocks/backwall.

Boxpipe likes this.
  10. Creille

Creille Base Burner

What would happen if I were to put 2 red tents and one blue?
    Will it be a random spawn for the reds or will they always spawn at one tent until they touch the other tent then e spawn changes? Im making a big map, need to know this :)
    Plz and thank you

11. Ya Red randomly spawns and they spawn at the tent they touched last, blue will always spawn at the one :P

Creille likes this.
  12. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Do you reckon red will evenly spawn at the 2 tents to start with?

13. I don't know, most likely just random.

GHOZT likes this.
  14. xioxio128

xioxio128 Shark Slayer

so is there a way to make zombie alters? or make it spawn zombies because it isnt spawning zombies on zombie mode

15. Rayne

you cannot make custom zombie maps, because the zombie spawn information is only stored in cfg files at the moment.

16. xioxio128

xioxio128 Shark Slayer

I made a 40 by 40 map and when i play it every time i destroy a block the whole thing falls down why does this happen???
    :huh?:

17. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Really small maps will always collapse due to their size.

18. xioxio128

xioxio128 Shark Slayer

How big can you make a map???

19. TheWids

TheWids Haxor

Is it possible to have 1 flag ctf if there are 3 teams but only two are joinable? For example red and blue tents are at opposite sides of the map. There is a green tent in the middle. Players can only join red and blue teams. Whoever gets the green flag first wins. Is this possible and would it workout?

20. Rayne

maps start kicking people from the server at about 500x200
    no, because there isn't a green flag.

Ghozt likes this.