1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Developments of the Last Week

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This week we covered a bunch of bugfixes really, and some movement towards a completely scriptable underlying entity system for the full version. I think I’ve finally convinced MM that forking Classic and Full is a good idea, which means classic will keep the current codebase and mechanics intact and the full version will have a different underlying system.

The bonus of this is that we wont have to make considerations for classic every time we want to write a new feature, which will speed up development a whole lot.

In addition, if we get the systems we’re hoping to in place, every single object in the full version will be modifiable serverside, down to the logic controlling animation and physics. Creating new objects will be trivial. This means that KAG will be usable as a modding platform and that server owners wont be confined to the cardcoded logic of the current system.

Making new entities will be very much like programming, as we’re currently implementing AngelScript, which has C++ syntax and strongly typed objects, but we believe this is better for us as the game is coded in C++, and better for you because it’ll give you a crazy amount of control over ingame objects (you could potentially rewrite soldat in the scripting language - don’t tell MM ;)

Everything is component based at this point, which we think is a very nice way to structure things.

Its early days, but in the 2 days we’ve worked on the system its already possible to code movement and animation entirely in-script. We’re going to automate some of that (so that you dont need to keep track of timers for animation scripts and so forth) but its looking to be insanely powerful. Hopefully we’ll find a simple way of networking everything as well.

Naturally this will mean that we need some way of filtering modded servers out of the vanilla server list (if anything so that we dont get blamed for some of the less than scrupulous mods that are inevitably going to be made) , but it’ll likely just be a checkbox to swap between viewing and not viewing modified servers.

tl;dr good news for server owners, players, and aspiring developers alike.

Geti

http://devlog.kag2d.com/post/21133919546/developments-of-the-last-week

Noburu, goodyman8, TheFilip and 24 others like this.
  2. NEMS

NEMS Arsonist

Awesome stuff.

3. Anonymator

Anonymator Shipwright

I can't wait for this awesome stuff. I had a dream that one day, Kag will be entirely moddable ;). Good news for aspiring developers, server owners, and Me. I have a lot of mod projects :).

4. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Needs more hats.

Pony hats.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

implement them yourself ;) (also ponyhate etc etc)

(You'll get your damned hats but I'm not sure why you guys are so into them)

greyfox and cmblast like this.
  6. knightl

knightl Base Burner

Once we can create pony hats

we can create shad hats so yeah

TheFilip and greyfox like this.
  7. Djhacker

Djhacker Bison Rider

nice to hear some more progress. Good work guys

8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

WE LOVE HATS BECAUSE IT MAKES US FEEL LIKE INDIVIDUALS ;_;

Schizoid, xChapx, Froghead48 and 6 others like this.
  9. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

It's hats.

Ok, if we break it down, it is the only thing that helps you segregate your identity from the rest of the world. It also allows you to project who you are unto the game universe. That's why we want lots of them hats ( and heads. Fabio head, I shall make you one day!!!!)

10. Machinista

Machinista Shopkeep Stealer

Can't say I understand it all, but I'm definitely a fan of server-side flexibility and modding capability :)

11. Dark_Ham

Dark_Ham Shipwright

Hats is one of the main reasons I brought KAG! :P
    Who would think that a bunch of pixels on my head would make me feel so BadAss.

Froghead48 likes this.
  12. Trae

Trae Shopkeep Stealer

As a long time TF2 player, i know that you never can underestimate the power of hats. Also, i am really digging that the devs tries to update more often. Keep doing that! You are making an awesome game, and it only gets better ;).

And now to the part relevant to the post. I really like increased modability, might even try to mod a little myself if it turns out to be accesesible.

13. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Haha, this so much.
    Hats = absolute awesomeness.
    Furthermore, i'm one of the few people who use the fabric in front of mouth hat. (i dont know the proper name for that)

Anyway, i find it awesome that modding will be so easy :D
    Antigravity servers! :D

14. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

See that's just modern consumer culture. We're no longer a subsistence oriented culture so instead of being preocuppied with survival we now have the time to consider luxuries and our individual desires. Luxuries enter the realm of populary necessity and take on a social role. Conspicuously consumed items like hats become a means for asserting something about your identity- ie by choosing a top hat you are a "top hat kind of guy", beard hat a "beard kind of guy". By picking an item we choose to associate ourselves with the values that product represents. They also display socio economic status, albeit in a much simpler way as we only have two economic levels (premium and non premium).

After a run in with death the philosopher Rousseau pledged to change his life, to renounce "all projects of fortune and advancement," and to live a life of "independence and poverty". He gave up his gol trimmings, his white stockings, his watch, his sword. He also took a simpler wig. You might ask why not give up the wig altogether? Because the wig was such an item of cultural symbolism, a shorter wig represented his ideals much better than his real hair ever could.

In this was hats allow us to consolidate and assert our identity, a shorthand for people to see what kind of person you are much like the Facebook of today's world.

Of course there's also Marx's theory of a dialectic materialism where ownership only creates class struggle, impeding our ability to fully reach human potential as we are distracted by conflict.

Kyzak, FuzzyBlueBaron, xChapx and 8 others like this.
  15. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Blame Gabe.

Also, fuck yes, does this mean we'll finally get more hat slots? :<

16. Only about 30 guards control over 100 000 of players. Occupy KAG!

Dark_Ham, kalashnikov and mangus like this.
  17. Raron

Raron KAG Guard Tester

Now be fair if were gona count active and inactive players :P

Its around 5000 people on 30 guards....

CHARRRGEEEE!!!!

18. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Also, there's more than 30 guards... :D
    AND we have our own hat. ^__^

illu, Neat and Riletyface like this.
  19. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Your hat is the worst hat though :3c

Also he used the qualifier active, I doubt more than 30 are 'active'.

inactive_account likes this.
  20. Dark_Ham

Dark_Ham Shipwright

If you wrote that all by yourself then you should do a Higher English Course your writing skills are pretty impressive. :rollseyes:

Froghead48 likes this.