1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Clan wars ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpideY, Apr 16, 2012.

1. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

I would like to schedule some "official" clan wars between french clans.

In your opinion, whats the best form for a clan war ?

In soldat, for example, it was a 3on3 CTF on vanilla servers.

For KAG, 4on4 ? 5on5 ? CTF or not ? Unlimited lives with flags ? Lives with a timer ?

2. Redigit

Redigit is not my actual name, it's Tommasop.

Ok, have a 5 on 5, CTF, with flags, no timer, and 100 units, I would love this if I were in a clan war.:)

3. 12anger

12anger Ballista Bolt Thrower

wow i can just imagine whole archer only clans owning some knights D: NIGHTMARES

3e0jUn likes this.
  4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

KAG prmotes stalemates a lot, especially between good players. Try to minimize this or you will get very bored.

6v6: Small, manageable number. Enough to allow strategic options but small enough so that it's not (so much of an) attrition-y spam grind. Also depends on who actually shows up on time. If you can't get that many people, play a few less. If you have a bunch of people wanting to play, play more. We've had to pull people from IRC or donate one of our guys to the other team if they don't all show up or someone has to go.

Small flatish map: 200x200 is a pretty good size. You don't want you be able to piss from your tent and hit the enemy tent, but you want to make flag caps possible and for battles to be tense. I'd recommand either flat or with a small hill.

Lives: Lower lives (like 40-50) means games will end at a reasonable time, but it doesn't really give a very large window of opportunity for teams who really want to relentlessly go for the flag. Don't go too much though or games will just straight up last for hours, and if the flag is going to be taken it's porbably going to either be when there are no lives or near the start with a team going off the opening rush momentum.

Spawn Time: The longer the better IMO. It's hard to break a position when the come back faster than you can kill them. Maybe like 10-20 seconds or so, depending on the close to spawn modifier. I'm not really a fan of that myself as it really punishes people for agressive outposting, so you could even take it out if you like (though it makes it a lot easier to do the final push if your spawn times are too short).

Build Time: Super low. Maybe a minute, two minutes tops. I'd almost recommend trying no timer or something like 20 seconds. Just enough time to put up necessary shops and rudimentary protection. Excess build up makes unstoppable bases, and you can make good towers really quickly during the game.

Build Resources: I'd say low, like 100/100 or less. If you make it a regular thing I'd recommend trying no resources. Again unnecesary build up and having a shittone of resources lying around on the opening rush makes it too critical of a time. Whoever comes out ahead in the coinflip we call combat gets a tonne of resources, and combined with the ridiculously fast build time you get an instant, fully decked out base. I'd recommend giving archers a few arrows, to start of with though, maybe 10-15 to give them a chance to snipe off starting workers. Not really critical though as they can just get arrows in the build time if it's long enough. But don't give knights bombs, that would be a seriously clusterfuck.

Gold: Make it excessible for both teams (mirrored maps preferred). Catapults will be key to taking down buildings and it's really lame that getting gold is really up to luck- unless you're like me and have uncanny gold dowsing skills. You could even do starting gold or just a pile of gold near the spawn if you really wanted.

5. Dodge999

Dodge999 Shipwright

4v4 Make it epic Both have 50 Lifes
    Pure epicness btw you can have less lifes to be more epic!
    Edit:
    Its better to have a larger team you will feel more part of some thing big it will encourage your fighting skills but 5v5 is good enought

6. Mister_Meatball

Mister_Meatball Base Burner

32x32, and make sure you play on a map with pillars of earth and buckets of gold below the tents. Also, make the knight class unplayable because archers and builders are all experienced players need, knights don't do as much potential damage as a archer and lack the range, and they can't hold down an area like a builder can. Also there needs to be unlimited lives and to break bases kegs need to be made super cheap and not require wood.

Edit: Post not meant to be taken seriously.

GHOZT and LetsplayCmansez like this.
  7. 12anger

first of all - archer fanboy!!!
    second - since when were knights not skilled players? knights can take out archers easily, block block block charge attack block attack. easy i dont recall "Spamming Arrows" as a skill, and kegs being super cheap would just be sh** the first team to buy loads of kegs would ovbiously win -.- and in the 32x32 maps archers can easily shoot other archers or builders for kegs, thats where knights come in.

god have u played knight at all? -.-
    boo dislike

8. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, guy. He was referring to how some servers have terrible settings.

Mister_Meatball likes this.
  9. Mister_Meatball

In fact knight is my most played class. ;)

10. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Yeah it's bit of a pity there isn't the tactical diversity at the moment to facilitate a proper 16-32 a side clan battle, when there is though that's gonna be a fucking awesome game to watch. Not to get into too much of a debate but it would be cool if this whole archer thing could be sorted out soon as possible cos it would certainly help toward that.

11. SpideY

We really cannot play a clanwar with 64 players dude....

What about maps for this kind of event ? Have you some maps for me ? ^^

Btw : nice post Contrary, there are some nice ideas.

GHOZT likes this.
  12. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

No-one suggested that directly, meatball said it was a bad idea cos archer mobs are so overpowering and I was agreeing with his point ;) Just in the future when the games a bit more balanced attack and defence wise then big clan battles will be awesome.

13. 12anger

Dont sound like it

So ur saying ur unskilled?

14. Mister_Meatball

Ok, serious post now, large clan matches would be unwieldily because of archer spam. Playing a knight, it is hard to get a supporting builder to a fortification of there are just too many (good) archers. My idea of the Ideal clan match is somewhere between the strategies of Starcraft and Counter-Strike, small co-ordinated teams, 4-8 players each. This would be played on a small symmetrical map with scarce but clumped stone and deep, hard to get gold. This is where starcraft comes in, players could make map by map strategies on which stone deposits to go for and would it be too costly to go for the time consuming gold. Most maps would have a valuable but small deposit of stone in the center of the map. Small, quick maps, needing quickly executed and well planned strategies seems like the perfect clan match to me. Lives could vary but 50/75 per side would be the best, depending on team size.

P.S. previous post was a joke, I thought unlimited lives, no knights, and the cheap kegs would give it away. :(

15. Smokeybacon

Smokeybacon Superdreadnought Donator

From what I've experienced, it'll be hard enough to organize a clan match that large anyway!

Small matches are better. Pit groups of clans against each other in multiple games, to fit various time zones.

Beef likes this.
  16. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Good sarcasm doesn't sound/read as sarcastic, that's the whole point ;)

17. SpideY

After some clan wars, we've got now a good combo of rules :

- 5vs5 or 6vs6 fit well for clanwars
    - ~ 100-135 lives. We can try to capture the flag with this amount of lives and its not too huge.
    - A small map like this one : https://forum.kag2d.com/attachments/demflats-png.1691/
    - Rounds are pretty fast and you can play 2 or 3 rounds to get a complete match.

Dont hesitate to contact me if you wanna schedule some clan wars guys

Contrary likes this.
  18. moner

moner Builder Stabber

Hello, I'm a brazilian player and a member of the clã [Fsk]. We are searching for a clã to do an international Clã Fight! Believe, we are an great clã and we are be able to compete with the bests clãs in kag!

We have a hosted server, Kagbrasil.com, we can make a 3x3 or an 5x5 in our server or another one who have a good ping for you and for us.
    </br>--- merged: Nov 3, 2012 1:28 AM ---</br>
    ?

19. KingCake

KingCake Catapult Fodder

You could try a CTF with limited lives and time limit. It will show how good of survivors they are and if they can cooperate together to get the flag in time. A true test. :B): Though it would be a problem if they didn't get the flag in time. X3

3e0jUn likes this.
  20. 3e0jUn

3e0jUn Catapult Fodder

My opinion, it'd be best if clan wars were like quick deathmatches (10v10), with pre-built castles on both sides of the map. That'd avoid archer spam, and most importantly, still maintain the aspects of the KAG War gamemode. That way, we'd actually see a fair game going on. Just my opinion, of course.