1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[749][Guide] Josh's Beta builder guide for noobs

Discussion in 'Builder' started by JoshTG, May 6, 2013.

1. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

*I take no credit for any of these ideas*​
    • First off the builder is very different from the classic builder, some major differences are factories and the change from hammer to pick-axe.
    • Now your job is to construct and maintain factories in a base that can supply your team with boats,bombs,arrows etc.
    • What you should never do in beta is just throw your workshops around willy-nilly, have a plan.
    • I always recommend building a workshop and a barracks first (especially if there's no water)
    STACK YOUR FACTORIES
    [​IMG]

There's a example of what your base might look like in a early round.​
    • Next tip i have is to use notch jumping (credit to mazey). To build a notch jump wall you have to place a block, a door, a outward facing bridge; then repeat the patern
    [​IMG]
    • On top of your new fancy tower you can build a archer nest or a very nice spot for a mounted bow. Using the new bridge mechanics of one way in, you can build a invincible archer nest
    [​IMG]
    This allows for archers to shoot out, but nothing can come in.​

• Traps can help protect your tower against charging builders or drill spammers, here is a spike trap that only enemies can fall in, and they cannot get out.
    [​IMG]
    • As the game progresses you should always upgrade your walls and ceilings to stone to protect from satchels and fire arrows.
    [​IMG]
    • One last tip is to build sawmills above ground NOT in a hole
    [​IMG]
    This allows for safe use and no teammates falling in and raging :>:(:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-​
    "Note that there is currently a bug that prevents unpacking workshops on top of ladders, so you will have to add them afterwards." - Jackard​

"Storage, Tunnels and Barracks should be ground floor or main pathway through your base. Crate Factories can be built anywhere but Item Factories should be stacked to drop their goods into Storage or your main path." - Jackard​
    "This covers majority of the really important stuff, except about buying scrolls. So many times I've seen people buy 4 drills while we have no catapults or demolition tech. You can check what factories have been made already by clicking E and hovering over the factories.​

Also while you can be really useful as a builder by staying back and maintaining your base, 1-2 builders on the front are always needed. You can't progress if someone doesn't cover your progress with quick towers and barracks, or doesn't ladder your team up the high enemy tower. Lack of the said builders is super often the case why games last on for 5 hours." - Monsteri
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-​
    Thanks for reading, comment something you think i should add.​
    *I take no credit for any of these ideas*​

Fate, Monsteri, Awesomer and 11 others like this.
  2. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Storage, Tunnels and Barracks should be ground floor or main pathway through your base. Crate Factories can be built anywhere but Item Factories should be stacked to drop their goods into Storage or your main path.

[​IMG]

3. JoshTG

Thats pretty cool, the item thing

4. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

5. JoshTG

added your stuff to op

6. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

no need for that it is the second post after all

make nursery next. i hear too much whining about teams losing all of their wood.

7. SeanAS

SeanAS Meth Addict Donator
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Nice Thread, helped me a bunch, thanks.

8. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

You should include things about saws, like not having huge log flume type things for the logs, as it breaks the logs when they hit the saw.
    EDIT: Nevermind, just saw it. Amazing guide!

9. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

I would rather say "for newbies" or "for normal players" than "for noobs" guide, since noob will just ignore this and will continue to do saws in ground and spam drills in team...
    Not really, they are taking damage, still, it is a really good nest.

Digger101 likes this.
  10. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Nice guide, though there are a looot of stuff you forgot to mention. This covers majority of the really important stuff, except about buying scrolls. So many times I've seen people buy 4 drills while we have no catapults or demolition tech. You can check what factories have been made already by clicking E and hovering over the factories.

Also while you can be really useful as a builder by staying back and maintaining your base, 1-2 builders on the front are always needed. You can't progress if someone doesn't cover your progress with quick towers and barracks, or doesn't ladder your team up the high enemy tower. Lack of the said builders is super often the case why games last on for 5 hours.

killatron46, Kiofspa and Apronymous like this.
  11. JoshTG

thats a good point, i also get very frustrated when people buy saw first.

*also added your comment to the comment section at the bottom*

12. Squeal

Squeal Shipwright

Here's something you might want to include: effective naval strategy.

It's near impossible to win a round of War with just a single boatload of troops, you need a sustained attack. However that's pretty hard when you're on the other side of the ocean, so how do you win War? Simple, the builder should aim to build a barracks as close to the enemy as possible. This means building towers in the middle of the ocean, progressively moving until new troops can quickly move from the barracks to enemy soil.

There are a few tips to building in the ocean. It's mostly simple logic

1. The very first thing you need is somewhere to breathe, don't worry about anything else.
    2. For under-sea walls, have gaps between walls, this minimises the damage a keg will do to the supports.
    3. If you stash resources first, as soon as you build storage you can access all these supplies for ultra-fast building.
    4. First structure you need to build is a barracks, sea-defenses are extremely vulnerable.
    5. Do not let an enemy drill come near it, they are cooled in water and will shred through the thickest stone walls in seconds

13. Stealthkibbler

Stealthkibbler Shark Slayer

You forgot to mention with the Spike trap to lace it with stone blocks, if not enemy builders and knights can very easily dig under your base and cause havoc for you.

14. fyi, this wasn't a thing 2 months ago

Froghead48 likes this.