1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[947] What Ever Happened To Hiding In Trees?

Discussion in 'Archer' started by Duplolas, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I didn't want to make a suggestion to re-add the classic style of tree climbing because I wanted to first discuss it.

Why was it removed?

Con/Pros of having it?

Honestly I don't see why there was any reason to remove it. Archer could position themselves better to shoot arrows while also being hidden. Now they have to try to either keep jumping above the treeline to fire, or hang from the top with a grapple which never is high enough to keep them from getting killed by a knight.

Crabmaster likes this.
  2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

3. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

4. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

You obviously missed my point. Being unable to drop out of trees when you wish to do so is just unintuitive and exposes you to threats. You can still "hide" perfectly fine in trees. But you won't really remain hidden if you shoot out of them. So what's the point of including a clunky mechanic that only makes the class less agile?

5. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

"I want trees climbing to work like they did in classic, why were they removed?"
    >gets explained why classic trees are bad

"That argument is invalid because this isn't classic"

Lel okay Duplolas.

Klokinator likes this.
  6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I do wish Archers did not have to repeatedly jam the jump button to remain relatively still in a tree. I know you can grapple and hang from the top, but it rarely fully conceals you, and as previously stated, you usually end up hanging so low that Knights just jump up and kill you.

epenow and Fate like this.
  7. Saigon

Saigon Builder Stabber

I remember bushes from an earlier Beta build worked quite well! They consealed the archer a'right. Where did they go? I actually found them rather useful!

8. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

The comic was referring to the fact that you couldnt climb as fast because of trees next to door ladders as archer. So that is what I responded to because door ladders are no longer in the game. I also never said "I want to".

Now to debate the different reason Monsteri came up with.

If you say that you are in danger if you can't drop out of trees when you need to, why not just allow the down arrow to drop you instead of you climbing down like it was done in classic. Currently you just don't press anything and you fall. The down arrow is completely free to use for movement in tree climbing right now, it serves no function.

Also.

You can still hide in trees even when firing an arrow. It simply is when the arrow is released that they see you, which is the whole point of hiding.

crackwise likes this.
  9. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

You can just keep on tapping W to stay hidden in the tree. And plus, you should be running away when a knight comes nearby.

10. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

It's also pretty easy to spot a hidden person at the minimap...

PS. climbing half-door-half-stone-walls still works as knight only.

11. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Tree climbing is stupid anyways, it prevents you from freely swinging through the trees like George of the Jungle.

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You can still george of the jungle it up if you dont hold W the whole time, it is hard to not do.

Re: hiding, you can grapple below yourself and then "climb" endlessly if there's enough cover at the top of the tree, it leaves you much less exposed to knights.
    [​IMG]
    Bottom one shows "how", and why it doesn't work so well on the oaks.

13. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

So why not just keep it how it is but then allow you just to remain stationary in the trees so you don't have to "climb" endlessly. If you can still swing from tree to tree without it stopping you, I don't see how it would be a problem or am I still missing something.

Also. So you can't grapple as high up with Oaks as the other trees to do the climbing endlessly technique?

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Because being stuck in trees like they are ladders is bad for escaping, like everyone has said above.

15. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Yes I understand that. But why not just make it so you don't get stuck in the tree when climbing. Like I said before, the down button servers no function while climbing trees, so why not just make it so you can press the down button to drop from the tree. Whereas in classic you climbed up and down, now you just drop by pressing the button. Thus allowing you to stay in the tree for however long you want without having to hold right click and up button and then drop just like it is now with a button.

As for stopping people in swing, just make it so they don't grab on while the grappleing hook is in use.

16. Geti

Honestly, because I like to see bad archers flailing around desperately in the trees instead of perching 100% stable at the top.

17. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I laughed too hard. Lol. I guess I don't need to debate anymore if Geti doesn't want it.

Geti likes this.
  18. Saigon

Saigon Builder Stabber

I like how you even debated this so much! I doubt you'd see much of a difference even if this WAS added - anyway, it's a good thing you stuck to your argument! Wouldn't be a lot to discuss if people just gave up after the first answer

Duplolas likes this.
  19. Dubovnik

Dubovnik Drill Rusher
    1. Top Hat Squad [THS]

But it was good in one reason : in classic knight can cut down tree and archer going down too. in beta knight can cut but archer will be stay in tree.
    but this good reason turn to bad: knights can kill u because trees now arent growing up forever. if hes not hiding.

20. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Some trees can grow taller than the knights slash+jump length.