1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Account Ranking System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Geti, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Essentially, a number attached to your account that indicates an aggregate of:
    A) how good you are at the game
    B) how long you've been playing
    C) how fun you are to play with

This is essentially how much you're "worth" as a player.

I feel that this rank or reputation should be increased in a number of ways to reflect this.

The first two ways would be gameplay specific:
    - Doing anything that helps your team, killing enemies, building outposts or catapults, constructing towers, capturing the flag, etc, would each give some small proportion of 1 rep point. Flag captures would probably give one whole point in a big server.
    - For every 1 hour played, 1 rep point would be added. This way, even if you're crap at the game you can still get 1UP'd!

The next encompasses the social aspect of the game:
    - Players can vote on each other, both UP or DOWN 1 whole rep point, once per day.
    That means the social side of things is most important, which is true! It doesn't really matter if you're not getting very many kills or not playing for very long as long as you make the game fun for those around you.
    To prevent abuse, both forms of voting would cost the user 0.5 rep points, and voting would only be available to players with more than 5 points of reputation.

If nothing else, this means that to abuse this system, griefers would have to play nice for 3 hours or so to garner enough points to even start voting (assuming they don't get many upvotes during that time), and longer to gain the ability to do any "damage". Downvoting everyone in a 32 player server would cost 15.5 rep points. Not only would it constitute voting abuse (-> we'll deactivate or delete the account) but it'd take a few days of playing to get that many points and even then you've only managed to remove one point from everyone - big whoop.

Now, some points to consider:

All voting should be logged, as well as all actions performed. This would allow moderators of the system (initially me, Poe, potentially citricsquid and a few players that we're keeping an eye on) to fairly easily detect spurious activity; if someone's account is two days old and has several million actions logged, they're likely spoofing that activity.
    Voting abuse would easily be detected via report - when the report comes in, we could check the account for a large spam of downvotes and that'd be grounds for account deactivation.

This rank system also needs to be tied to something in-game.

I've got my own ideas on the matter, but what do you think such a system should be tied to to curb multiaccounting griefers without damaging the way new players experience the game?

jimmyzoudcba and CowboyDan like this.
  2. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

Wow this sounds perfect. I only have one question though, how would voting other players be done? Website, game, or both?

3. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

sounds epic, here my example (true informations^^)

im since first release on KAG play it daylie 5-18 houres
    im always social and helping ppl, exapmple, someone asked 15 min ago on a server how to get more bombs, i told him the answer on any outposts, flag tents, and in death enemy corpses which had his bomb still with pressing "C"
    when someones crying for an op i propably made one 3 min after already, when someone needs wood, i'll give it to him when im not going by myself for an op or any other important structures.
    im always marking griefers as fast as possible, or start a vote-kick cauze 80% of the ppl still dont get how to use it rofl... ^^
    im very forum active since i know about the forum.
    im propably the best Knight, kd 4-15 since build 80 normal for me.
    im willing in growing the clan community in any form in KAG, (working on the site from HA recently, first KAG clan how all know^^)

OH! and i got MM in facebook friends!

the only bad thing about me, ppl could dislike me for beeing a beastly knight :P

so what kind of ranking would i get?

regards, Loki

4. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

i would give you a -2 for being narcissistic! But actually i think since your the leader(at least im assuming your the leader) of the first clan, i bet youll probably get the game for free, or the huge discount.

5. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

hehe xD

but no im not the leader :)
    but i guess something like a co-leader, or honor member ^^

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Poe: Voting could be done through the website or through the game, doesn't matter as long as you're logged in. It'd probably be most easily done through the scoreboard like the griefer tick. Voting also needs to be undo-able as people might hit the wrong button, the important thing is that it gets applied as each day passes -> freeing up the vote again.

On the website there could be a "my votes" page of the userCP where you could review, add or remove votes, both up or down.

Also, perhaps when a player leaves the game (after playing for 5 minutes or more to prevent spam) the game requests that you rate the player on their performance, GOOD, MEH, or BAD as that'd encourage reflective voting. Ideally you'd rate everyone you played with and all the fun players would get a good spike in their rank each time they played, but I can see people being stingy with their votes from time to time.

The rank wouldn't be arbitrarily assigned, Loki, you'd get it through playing the game. I imagine you'd get a good reputation score fairly quickly if you keep playing like you do though.

7. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

People only barely know me :(. I bet people heard my name before. And i bet they like my structures i build cause they are helpful (even though no archers ever use my damn archer windows... WHICH THEY SHOULD >_<

8. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

aight :D sounds good!

swagger, we played already alot together i know u :D i would give u good votes :)

im just scared of the bad votes from people tryn to ruin others rank...

9. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

Well i just got kicked off the US server, So now people think im a griefer... Awesome...
    And im trying to be one of the better known players. I try to teach people how to build cool looking and actually usefull things. And if someone says "hey swagger, build us an outpost/ladders/archer tower/bunker/dig us a hole" I do it. And i even say some RP thing like. "Yes my liege Ill get right on it!"

10. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

rofl xD

u can call me sire then :D xD^^

i think the ranking system will make alot trouble i imagine it already... ^^

11. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

Yes sire! (though im thinking i might start a clan. just so i can Rival yours!!!) Im thinking about calling it, Feudal Age Heroes. Or something with a medieval sound to it.

12. Geti

People voting to ruin other people's rank lose some of their own rank. They'd have to be fairly dedicated to vote against you every day and you'd be able to see who was doing it and report them. Worst comes to worst, you lose 5 or so rank points before you realise someone is abusing the system.

Swaggernuts I doubt anyone's going to actually think you're a griefer for any length of time. A lot of players don't even remember each other's names day to day, however a lot of people mash F12 just at the possibility of there being a griefer. Don't fret about it, if you hang out on the forums and make friends with some of the more regular players you'll be sure to build up a good reputation, both in the abstract social sense and in rep points once they're implemented.

13. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

Haha, Yea. in the mean time im gonna donate some money to youz guys so i can get the editor. Then build and take Screenshots of some of the things i build.
    Edit: actually nvm, it uses paypal and my paypal is glitched. >_< sorryez guys.

14. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

well aswell u could think about joining HA swagger :)
    i guarant u alot of good votes then while playing with us xD

15. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

I mean i was thinking about joining HA. Its just i kinda want this game to have alot of smaller clans instead of a couple HUGE ones. Ya know. Maybe if you turn HA into a more Community portal. Where people can make small clans under the HA banner. or something.

16. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

This idea is fantastic. EVERYONE +1 ME! :D Nah, I'm just playin'!

17. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

we have already alot progress in the clan scene aside from 20-30 1 man clans i spoted
    [Niggz] (they had atleast 6 players on once...)
    and somewhere in the forum i readed some ppls ign's which had all clan tags :P
    ppl seemed to wait on the clantag option ô_Ô

aside that the idea is interesting, but im not the leader so its not my decision, my word may counts alot but Overlord should be asked first :)

if u wanna join leave us a comment in our tread :)

18. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I like the idea of this system, being a big fan of status quo and social rank type things. However I think this system assumes some competence and benevolence on the part of the users, which I think we can safely say is far from a guarantee. I see a lot of problems.

Abusing the points system is one. I don't know how good the points system will be when this is implemented, but I can imagine numerous exploits. For example people could farm points by cutting down all the trees behind the spawn and spamming ladders. People might not be around to see him and downvote.

Idling is another. People may idle to boost their rank, and unintentional idling is also a detriment to the system.

Upvote circle jerks could be another issue. Similar to boosting in CoD games where people take turns allowing themselves to be headshot, people could trade votes.

Another problem I see is that since votes cost rank, people are demotivated to vote as it costs them something. We've all seen how apathetic people are even when voting griefers, so I don't think additional detriments will help the cause.

19. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Eww, gross

20. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

@sani, not rly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.