1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical Overworld Circlejerk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamburglar, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

In a world with permadeath, the players who create strong civilizations that offer protection and trade to all will thrive. The thieves, mercenaries, liars and murderers of the world will become outcasts, constantly needing to outrun the horde armies of the EMPIRE.

2. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Eh, as a mercenary, I'll fight for whoever PAYS me to fight. If an empire starts targeting freelance fighters, they're an evil empire, and I'm sure people will form a resistance. Don't equate "mercenary" with "liar and murderer". ;-;

BlueLuigi likes this.
  3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Depends on how strong they are, I thought the same and was quickly proven wrong down the line in hnh! I expect something similar I. Those regards probably somewhat skill but manholes meaning the most for prospering

4. Miggles

Miggles Shark Slayer

Whoever said I had to have a bandit class to be a bandit?
    Obviously there aren't going to be 50 billion classes, but there will have to be some graphical change between different roles otherwise nobody knows who's who and what's what.

Dark_Ham and Jamburglar like this.
  5. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

A cunning murderer who killed a high ranking government member seek refuge in a second civilization. He did this by the only way he knows, he lied and promised them a considerable cut of his killings profit. When our demands for his head were ignored by the second civilization, there remained only one option to insert our empire's dominance. War was declared.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may be a trust worthy business man. However if my opponent civilizations have deep pockets, you prove to be a threat that must be eliminated through preemptive attack.

Well ultimately I suppose it comes down to the detailed mechanics of the game.

6. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Hmm, there IS the trouble of loyalty to money vs loyalty to people. If I'm loyal to the highest bidder, untrusting people like Foxodi may do drastic things. If I'm loyal to people I like, I'm not really a mercenary.

I could solve this by being hired by-the-hour, so I just get as far away from the client as possible after my time is done, but it's hard to keep track of such things.

But I want to be free to explore, while still being able to get involved in wars. Mercenaries get both freedoms. Maybe if I'm hired by-the-battle, at low prices, and I promise not to fight against the people who hire me for a few days after they hired me. Then I gain a reputation as an honest mercenary. 8|

7. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Yeah the current knights look as far from menacing and bandit-ish as they could possibly be XD

Side note, on my roleplay server people better use a head that fits with the roleplay >_> that means no royal guard helmets, pumpkins, or anything of that sort. Glasses are fine though I guess, even if they don't fit with the times lol at least it's not overdoing it like a robotic head would if it were ever to be added

8. BlueLuigi

Hopefully by that point we will have server side file loadi g/sending capabilities for RP servers to work I. Their own, as well as -cough- semi custom classes / monsters. The zombie/skeleton cfgs leave enough room to make most monsters I could think of

Jamburglar likes this.
  9. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

I reserve the right to wear a pumpkin on my head when my character is inebriated.

10. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

I also would like to make a char and run around joining battles where I am on neither side, and killing everyone, but It will not happen, I le suck.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  11. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Y'know what would be cool? Throwing knives (See my avatar for a guy with a throwing knife :D). Short-ish range, .5 hearts of damage (going by current health system), shieldable. You'd use them to mess up enemies who are charging attacks and wear them down. I'm not even going to discuss the balancing of them though, since I imagine there would be a bunch of other such weapons if throwing knives were implemented.

This is a pretty nice thread to have. I can just toss out random theories and thoughts and no one can say "This isn't good enough/on topic enough for the circlejerk thread". At least, as long as it's about the future of KAG. It's sort of a Lazy Distant Future Suggestions thread, in my head. :3

12. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Great idea! Also thowing axes, yeah? And maybe even javelins

But they would be very weighted and wouldn't go very far and you would have to throw them at an arch to even maybe get a hit. They'd be very difficult to aim and would fly through the air much slower than an arrow, so I don't see why they couldn't do 1.5 damage.

This is a cool idea so I'm gonna build off of it.

Suppose a caravan of merchants are attacked by bandits and the bandits and group of peasants were taken into the battle with the peasants doomed to face defeat. If I happen to stroll along and see the sprite on the overworld signifying there is a battle there between the two parties, I'd like to have the ability to join the fight as my own team (and with anyone else in my group) but allowed to ally with one of the two battling groups.

So me and my group of friends might join the peasants just in time and help them fend off the bandits.

This would also be very useful for having reinforcements arrive in the middle of a war, potentially changing the tide of the battle or keeping sieges going for a long time.

OH! And that's another thing. Since there will be a fatigue/starvation system, hopefully we can siege a castle and keep the soldiers and people hiding behind their walls until they use up all available supplies and begin starving to death. Sometimes you can take a castle by simply blockading it and with the permanent death system, they might actually be afraid to leave the safety of their mighty walls.

Eric likes this.
  13. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

That is exactly why I want to play a chef, so at least I don't die.

14. BlueLuigi

That is silly, no risk no reward, I swear I will kill every chef. I swear it. If I find out a kingdom has a chef I will go find him and kill him >:(
    Of course this means I won't have a chef though

Why would you play a baby never die class though, just go archer and be cautious....

But if chefs can throw meat at you and dual wield kitchen knives...

15. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

pff, I will never starve, I still intend to run headlong into battle with the others, plus, you will probably forget you said this by tomorrow, even more so by the time overworld is out

BlueLuigi likes this.
  16. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Eh, being the Judeau fanboy that I am, I was imagining them flying like this [LINK] but when I consider what that would mean as far as long range momentum, it sounds kind of long-ranged, which is why I was saying the damage would always be .5
    It would be a tactical weapon, and not really an assassination weapon (Unlike Judeau). Plus you'd only be able to carry a few at a time (like Judeau! :D) so you couldn't just pwn a thousand knifeless newbies. Due to the armspeed/freedom it requires to use the things, maybe you wouldn't be able to equip them while wearing heavy armor. Assuming the game will have "armor" and "heavy armor".

You can be my mercenary chef. I shall need someone who wants to be a chef and is also a decent fighter.

17. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Because it has it's strengths in other ways. You won't starve first of all, and imagine all the money you will make. If you start out a chef, you'll save up enough money to buy fighting equipment, or hire mercenaries.. fuck, maybe even enough to purchase your own land and become royalty if you are dedicated enough to the job.

As any fighting class, you practically have to risk your life to make money.

Oh, yeah I was mostly talking about throwing axes being the weighted throwing weapons that fly at an arch. A knife would obviously go straight ahead, but it should still have a much less distance and yeah, the .5 heart sounds good. It's enough to finish off a retreating opponent if you can make the shot, and it little enough so it won't kill, just wear down someone's hearts before the melee battle initiates.

18. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

I like the idea of a bunch of mercenaries sitting at a campfire, with me boiling a big pot of bison stew, oh god I hope the sprite is fat, and not like knight fat, fatter, and a bit slow

BlueLuigi likes this.
  19. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Shark Slayer

I think that permadeath shouldn't be in most servers. If combat becomes slow-paced and strategic enough that dying doesn't often occur, then all this stuff is good, but loosing everything you put into a character still seems too hardcore for anything but roleplaying servers. There are good options for death penalties: Loosing all equipment and/or some skills/levels being probably the best, as well as waking up back in town miles from the dungeon you were exploring.

I kinda like the idea of a player being able to do the same jobs as peasant NPCs, but only as long as they're simple, quick stuff that can help you instead of long, boring grinding for money. Most of the stuff a normal kingdom does like trade caravans and cooking pizza seems like it would be better handled by NPCs roaming around than having everything have to be done by players. You can't really populate a country with only sixty people. If I want to be a bandit boss, I'd like to be able to hire a few NPC bandits with me, attack NPC trade caravans guarded by NPC soldiers, and if I do enough damage that a few players set off with their small army to find my hideout, take my loot and gold and kill me, then that's fun. But none of that can happen if all NPC are only monsters walking about dungeons. I don't want to be a footsoldier in my friend's army, I want to lead a bunch of soldiers, even if it's only a few. That way when ten players are gunning for your kingdom, you not only have to worry about the wizards and priests and assassins, but also their army of a few dozen footsoldiers lead by a nigh-invincible armor-plated player or two.

Zefree likes this.
  20. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

Things I may do:
    • Start a farm.
    • Start a bison herding business.
    • Build an elaborate hermit shack in a remote mountain with various hidden passageways leading to rooms filled with various treasures.
    • Go mad in my solitude and become my own dungeon boss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.