1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical Overworld Circlejerk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamburglar, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

/me wants a Zeppelin. :)

Noburu likes this.
  2. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

When I'm playing on Jamburglar's RP server, I'll try not to bias myself towards clanmates. Just sayin'.

Jamburglar likes this.
  3. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

I actually don't want to be a badass in this. I would love to roleplay as a slave. It's interesting and fun. I wouldn't rage quit, and I know there are people that wouldn't either. I've played with many of them. I never claimed to be an unstoppable god, I was just saying were I ever to become King that is one of the roles I would take. I actually intend on being a merchant, peasant, slave, etc. because it's fun and not about being the strongest for me.

And why is it unrealistic? Just give us an emote chat (ie. /me *smiles*) and we'll be fine? A gladiator pit? It's just a player built arena we toss players into. Why is that so farfetched?

Also, the clans teaming up like that. Don't worry, I can prevent that from happening on a server I run. So it's fair for everyone. Because yeah, that would totally destroy any fun for everybody else and nobody would want to play.

You need to understand than when I talk about it like this, I don't actually expect every single sprite icon and feature to be specifically made by the devs, but a little imagination can go a long way, Contrary. Implement a local chat system, and emote chat, and that's all I would need.

4. Adinxs

Adinxs Bison Rider

I am willing to dance.

Hella, Beef and Jamburglar like this.
  5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I'm just saying, man. A lot of the sad in this forum comes from people having unrealistic expectations.And looking through your posts on the last page- caravans, food, fatigue system, wildlife, hunting, throwing weapons, bands, jesters, scepters, fire, dancing etc. Your gladiator pit is predicated on the idea that you will have an effective way to non-lethally neutralize enemies, that you will have a way to transport them, contain them reliably with all the multiclassing or whatever, and that they wouldn't simply leave and join a different server. I mean no doubt a lot of this stuff will appear- but a lot of it also won't. And the stuff that makes it in will probably be glitchy as shit to start out.

And besides, if all you needed is local chat and emotes, then why aren't we hearing about your kingly exploits in KAG right now? I don't see how an overworld really facilitates your gladiator and king ides much more than the current game.

I mean a little bit of silly daydreaming about this sort of stuff is great but you know where I'm coming from man? Anyways I'm just being unnecessarily party-poopy at this point so we'll leave it at that.

And about the clan gangups. I've mentioned this to Geti a few times- this is a major problem in Call of Duty where clans just smash through pubs leaving the noobs on the other end no chance of winning. He seemed quite excited about clans going all hardcore competitive on each other, though I can't recall if he specifically wanted this in pub servers. Also it would be pretty hard to tell as people are going to be forming alliances anyways and being banned from a server just because someone else on it has the same clan tag as you would suck.

Also I don't see what's so bad about playing with your clan. I mean if it's against the specific server rules it's bad, and if it starts to steamroll servers that's bad, but otherwise it's just playing with your friends.

6. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

I'm optimistic. Geti said he looks through this forum and takes note of what we'd like in terms of the feel of the overworld, so why can't he take some of the hypothetical ideas if he likes them? Caravans are player made convoys of traders. Food has been stated to be put in. Fatigue system has been stated to be put in. Wildlife has been stated to be put in. Hunting has been stated to be put in. Jesters are player made and are whatever you make of it. Fire has been stated to be put in. And I can dance already in the game by pointing my sword in the air and crouching up and down.

And the transporting players in a non-lethal fashion, that's all dependent on roleplaying. If you don't want to roleplay along, you have no business on the server in the first place and would be kicked before you could rage quit. But since there will be a permanent death system I don't think people will try to fight back as much as you think.

I'm well aware that I will be disappointed on some things, but not as much as most people have with nearly every single build ever released so far. I keep my hopes up because I want KAG to be the best it can be for everyone.

I know this style of gaming is not for everyone. I've said that from the start. I don't rip on your preference for Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag.

lukepop, Rayne and Adinxs like this.
  7. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

1:00 minute in.

Eggnogg, Zegovia, Jamburglar and 3 others like this.
  8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Look ok I know I'm coming off as a buzzkill but I don't mean this offensively at all. I'm not ripping on your preference for this hypothetical gamemode; I'm stoked. I'm just saying.

9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Looking forward to exploring and fighting off hordes of evil creatures.

10. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

I think the plan is to still do it in the normal game mode, just a lot more talky.

11. knightl

knightl Base Burner

I for one if i get captured on my character would prefer to dance for a week then have to start over because i was too lazy to move my hips

Adinxs and Jamburglar like this.
  12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Nah, I kill everyone or steal shit and log off knowing they can't do anything about it, then go be a king elsewhere.

I don't spend my online time being a poorfag, maybe when I was 13 and had all the time in the world, sure, but not now.

13. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. All of these dreams, and game systems that focus around players creating a thriving world within a game are flawed, in the sense that they become more than a game. What it eventually comes down to is that whoever spends the most time in the game is the best off. It's the same reason why games like Haven and Hearth are so difficult to get into. It's the same reason why having a game in Age of Empires that takes more than an hour or two is unreasonable.

Noburu likes this.
  14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Indeed, Haven and Hearth's suggestion forums was nothing about 'let us put people in jail lol' or 'let us lock people in', of course some actual form of this existed by palisading an HF, and it was fucking hilarious, but it proved the major flaw, all of those people either played alts until they could get themselves out, or just quit, most quit.

Rayne likes this.
  15. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

A big problem with these kinds of games is everyone wants to be top dog, but there can only be one top dog.
    Technically, with a sufficiently large game world there can be a few top guys for a while, but eventually one of them is gonna expand his domain enough to want to take a stab at dominating those others.

However, permadeath means that individuals will have massive destabilisation power (kill the king!) so perhaps we'll see some action through this... But it will mostly require friends backstabbing eachother (or the stupidity of rulers).

xChapx, Miggles, ComboBreaker and 3 others like this.
  16. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Roleplaying a poorfag involves more maturity then roleplaying a boss king.
    About trapping people: I like the idea, it would cause a lot of rage quits? Yes, but it would also cause a lot of fun times:
    Trapping people and ordering rescue to theirs clan (this could also engage a clan war).
    OR
    Use them as gladiators and give the stronger freedom.
    OR
    They could rage quit and create a new char on another server.
    But it really dosen't matter to me, I usually laught a lot when someone rage quit because of me.

About top dogs I agree with shad. Everyone will try to kill the king to become the new king.
    Permadeath increase game balance.

xChapx likes this.
  17. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

The issue is that everyone wants to be king, but they go after the wrong person. The person with true power is the royal advisor. Going after that can ever go wrong because clearly the royal advisor is never evil...

The only thing I'm wondering about is how new people will be treated when they enter the overworld.

18. Trae

Trae Shopkeep Stealer

Eh, i actually think kings are going to be pretty rare, unless MM and Geti makes a lot of tangible benefits for having a king. As Shad has said, all will want to be the top dog. But since all will aim for it, noone will get the "crown", and people will quickly discover, that cooperation people inbetween is a lot more effective than trying to boss them around.

The only instance where i think a king will be able to surface, is if a clan enters the field, and they somehow have a wish of crowning their leader. Why? A king needs people to police for him, and the only people who can do so regularily, is people you have other bonds to than random meetings in Overworld. In this case, a lot of metagaming is used.

Of course, i might be wrong, and kings will sprout like weeds, all trying to get their kingdom to glory. But you will not be able to see me helping a king achieve power, or myself going for royalty. I will be an adventurer, part time mercenary. If people want me to help them, they have to pay me or give me something else. Protection, which normally is what a real world king gave, i will get for myself.

19. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Pfft. Just you watch. King Shad is coming.

UnnamedPlayer, Dark_Ham, Neat and 2 others like this.
  20. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I don't want to be a king.

I want to be a humble warrior.

xChapx and BlueLuigi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.