1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why are there no TDM CWs?

Discussion in 'Competitive KAG' started by an_obamanation, Feb 27, 2016.

1. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

I feel like TDM would be much more fair in regards to an accurate depiction of skill. CTF just feels way too builder rushy, and that's not a skill in my opinion. It fucks over clans that have members that primarily play on TDM or get low frames on CTF. I get around 12-18 depending on the amount of people in the match. I think a TDM CW would work with combining everyone's KDR up into one big clan KDR. I.E. If one person has 1.2 and another has 0.2 then you would subtract 0.8 from 1.2 to get a 0.4 clan KDR. Then, if it turns out the clan KDRs are tied you could tally up the total amount of kills for both sides and award the one with the most kills the win. If it comes down to a point where both clans have the same KDR and same amount of kills then another round would be played to try and break the tie. The match would last until either 25 rounds have ended in stalemate or 50 rounds have passed where one team kills the other. This feels much more fair to me, it is based on how a team can work well together rather than the "teamwork" involved in just "PROTECT THE BUILDER WHILE THEY BLOCK THEMSELVES IN"

I dunno, whatta ya'll think of this?

2. l3afysamz

l3afysamz Ballista Bolt Thrower

This sounds a lot better than me in a BUILDER VS BUILDER battle. (i never win.)
    :builder: :builder:

3. jimster6000

jimster6000 Horde Gibber

I +1 this.

4. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Tdm focus' on the fighting side, while Ctf as well as fighting there is strategy. Tdm is fast paced, Ctf is longer.

In general for clan wars I prefer Ctf, due to the time, strategy needed and the skill. Also what about those who play builder? Your a builder? Sorry dude, we have no need for the around here. Also if your clan is good, you can easily deal with the tunnelers, or builders. Tunnelers in general is a bad idea in cw's and gives the other team the benifit.

The players who mainly play tdm can play Ctf, well. All Ctf does if focus on the fighting. If you have a good knight in tdm, they are good in Ctf. If you're worried about loosing due to them not being a decent builder in build time, have training sessions.

There also are prople who rather play Ctf and barely touch tdm, or never play tdm

Also K/D is unreliable.

5. an_obamanation

I'm not saying that CTF should be completely thrown out, I just mean this as a secondary thing. This way people that get low frames on CTF can actually show their KAG prowess. The KDR suggestion is more of an idea to build off of. (No pun intended.) "There also are prople who rather play Ctf and barely touch tdm, or never play tdm" It's the same issue on my end, none of the people in my clan ever play CTF other than a small handful, so our builders are rather cruddy. This results in us losing in mere seconds because we don't know what to do in terms of handling a builder that just blocks himself in our flag base. I understand practicing but even that wouldn't help because my frames would shit the bed. =(

Just as there are people for CTF, there are people for TDM. There should be a choice. Something so we can have everybody in their comfort zone. I know CTF can be fun, it's just not fun for everybody just like how TDM is not fun for everybody.

6. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

You have the choice. Just most clans prefer Ctf. In classic I have participated in a tdm (back then Rtdm) cw. You are able to ask for a tdm one

7. KArth

KArth Ballista Bolt Thrower

TTH
    TTH
    TTH
    Enough Said

8. an_obamanation

Yay! Thanks for the info Toff Toff! :potato:

9. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

We'll gladly do clan vs clan tdm, would just have to apply the no scramble teams mod to it.

Calling it a CW is kind of a stretch though lol.

10. an_obamanation

Ew, Gross.
    Only if you give Jim a kiss on the forehead and tell him a bedtime story.

11. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

TDM is a disgusting mode for competitive play. It all comes down to who can run and parry the most. In CTF, the objective is to rush forward and attack to get the flag - this means the defence get the upper hadn because they can retreat and play parry to an extent, but will substitute lost ground for it.

If there were serious TDM clan wars, it would just be the most defensive drawn out thing, and the team with less patience will lose all of the time.

With that said, I would like to suggest @Colargolator to do a clan war against you filthy CTP scrubs on this TDM format - first to 11 round wins would work. Will be fun.

12. Colargolator

Colargolator Horde Gibber
    1. KAG Competitive League

There should be a tdm mode with progressive forbidden zones like in battle royale C:

13. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

I prefer ctf, i like to be the archer, spam water or get amazing bomb arrow shots, which destroys everything.

14. Colargolator

Colargolator Horde Gibber
    1. KAG Competitive League

Exactly, it's not skill, it's intelligence, sadly few people are able to show some in kag C:

15. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

There was going to be a TDM tournament once but everybody bitched out and never showed up for their matches.

I'm sorry about your frames I guess, but CTF is just way better. Building is really important and it's what makes each round of kag unique.

16. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

I am pretty sure this is the reason people don't like ctf cw

as for tdm cw? sounds fucking horrible

17. an_obamanation

My suggestion is very basic, it's not really what I view as a dream idea. The mode could be changed around in order to avoid camping and such, this is one of the reasons I made the thread in the first place. I want to gather ideas and feedback, you know, ways to make it the most optimal fun thing so that everybody has their own thing. There could also be new maps created in order to stop things like turtle knighting, or at least keep it to a minimum. When viewing it as just TDM of course it's gonna look like vomit inside a baby's diaper, but with the rules tweaked, some new maps, and the right mindset it could become something pretty fun and fair for those who don't ever play CTF. Every single time I play CTF it just feels like "best builder wins" and that's just not fun to me, I honestly feel the defense aspect is also pretty bad in CTF because of door camping.

In short: Instead of just thinking "It's gonna be awful" think "It's gonna be awful because of this, this, and this, but it could be fixed potentially by this, this, and this." Have a lovely day you dirty Dans. 25252525

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There's 1v1 tourneys but I've never seen anything bigger.

Would need much more "balanced" maps though, with less defenders advantage to discourage campy play, shops removed or properly balanced, coins cleared at start of each "match", etc. Would be interested to see TDM tourneys though since I think it is quite a bit more tactical and less strategic, and would work fine for 3v3 (which is easier to organise cause you dont need 10 people to be available at the same damn time).

19. an_obamanation

I never even thought of the organizational benefits, but you're completely right. Plus without the builder class even existing for those then clans that don't have their builder ready don't have to just call it off, they could still play! =D Shops removed is definitely a must if this were to become a thing. Don't want too much water spamming. I was thinking the amount of players could span from 2v2 to 5v5 depending on clan size and computer strength, as my computer doesn't start to crap out until the player amount hits the double digits. (Also I got Geti to sorta agree with me on something maybe? Yay me!)

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Could have agreed spawn-items or similar if you want items to be a part of it. Would be ideal if you could pick a single 1 item, not sure if everyone would just go with water for cheese points when bomb-jumping gives so much more mobility, and having a bomb can help catch late-game archers as well.

It's definitely geared towards pug play at the moment but @makmoud98 is getting better at gamemode coding iirc ;)