1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Geti Stepping Down from KAG Leadership

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I have decided to officially step down from KAG leadership, for my own wellbeing. 7 years is enough for me, I'm afraid :)

However - this is not the end for KAG, and not even a hard end to my involvement! The plan is to continue towards the crowd-funded, community-developed, free-to-play model we've been discussing on Discord for a few months now. A lot of the ground work has already been done on that, so 2019 should start off with quite a ride for everyone. I'll be sticking around in a semi-active capacity until that's out the door:thumbs_up:

goodbye_wistful.jpg

I've attempted to set up as much of a planned succession as possible, as the game has suffered from this kind of thing happening less formally in the past. Those who've been paying attention on discord or elsewhere will likely not be too surprised - but for those that are surprised by this, I'm sorry. It has been coming for a while now.

Furai will continue to lead the support and administration as always, and should be considered the "dev regent" until he says otherwise. Jrgp will continue to host the official servers and direct backend maintenance. The internal contributors and #democracy will effectively take over the development of the game itself, with the community leadership, Furai, and MM available as a fallback if/when needed. Community management will continue as it always has, but a more formal position (or multiple) should be undertaken this year. We'll also likely need to see some of the next generation of moderators "graduate" into admins as the leadership there has been getting a bit sparse!

I will remain available for consultation as required, but I need to step away from a lot of the day to day stuff. I'm aiming for around one day or two per month, for those keeping track.

I hope this "next age" of KAG development will be characterised by a fresh outlook from the dev team, and ever increasing collaboration with the community. 2018 was especially exciting on that front, with over a hundred community sourced changes merged through and thousands of #democracy votes put in on maps, features, and design decisions! With the patreon and free to play launches around the corner, I hope we see more of that spirit.

I hope there'll be no ill will between us. I'm just burnt out with the game for now, and that's not good for the project, or for me.

I want to give an enormous thanks to all those who have made my life easier over the years, and helped build the community that we have now, as well as to the "previous generation" of community too. Thanks to those that contributed to the game, and to those who were just along for the ride! It means a lot to have had the opportunity to make an impact, however large or small, on so many people's lives, and to have shared time and laughter with so many in return.

KAG (the game and the community) has been, and always will be, an enormous part of my life.

If you want to keep up with what I'm doing from here, following me on twitter is probably the easiest way to do that. I'll still be dropping in to say hi on discord and the forums from time to time, but I tend not to plug my other work KAG-side very much.

Also, if you'd like to get involved with development or the community, or take on a bigger role if you already contribute in some fashion (development or otherwise), now is probably a great time to do that. Getting in touch with the existing team and contributors about how you can help out would probably be a good first step.

Finally: good luck with it! I wish you all the very best in the future! :flex:

Lots of love :heart:

Max "Geti" Cahill

2. enderzilla747

enderzilla747 Bison Rider Tester

Goodbye epic gamer.

Geti likes this.
  3. teKK1

teKK1 Bison Rider

<3

Geti likes this.
  4. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

I feel like I'll die a little everytime I'll miss that one time a month u'll come online on Discord to say hi.
    Curse timezones!
    It's been nice while it lasted mister Geti. Lots a love from over here. :heart:
    Someone really needs to update forum emote list, how am I supposed to express all the love I have for Geti with a single heart emote, huh?

5. Diprog

Diprog Bison Rider Tester
    1. FUN Servers

Thank you for all you've done for the game. It made a huge impact on my life: I met a lot of cool people here, spent a lot of days, months, years with them in the game; it gave me more motivation to code, because a lot of people would see my work and would talk about it, beta scripting API is just an incredible work. I started to chat in English every day because of KAG (and my own servers there), so my English became much better since the first day, when I opened the game. And you know what? I also started making music because of KAG, because one of my foreign game friends showed me a Launchpad video 5 years ago (or maybe more), I was absolutely in love with that shit. I would talk more about that, but it's not the topic. I can't express how I feel right now only by text. I won't lie, the game became boring for me a long time ago, but I love to help the game to grow and evolve, even if I don't play it anymore and even if it's a little help. I've been here since 2012 (at 12) and I'm still here in 2019 (at 19), so I just grew up with KAG. I'm sad and happy at the same moment. I'm glad that you're not going to stick to one project and stagnate, but we all know, that you are the most opened to the community guy, so it will be kinda sad to lose you in development. This is a big day for the game and for you. I love the community we grew, and thank you again for everything, always wanted to summarize everything I felt about the game. It's gonna be #1 game of my life forever, even if it's not ideal :heart:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

Thank you Geti---This hit me unexpectedly as I am not active on the official Discord. Thank you so much for everything that you've done for KAG; I still remember vividly talking to you on CTF a few times and thinking about your unique name (never heard it in Canada). KAG will always hold an incredible and precious position in the heart of me and countless others. Best of luck, and hope to see you around.

Geti, bunnie and Biurza like this.
  7. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

I can't wait to see what kind of new things you'll be creating in the future! You have grown a lot and I know you are destined to create something epic.

Geti, Biurza and bunnie like this.
  8. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Haxor Staff Alumni

I just wanna give my thanks for all you've done for us and this game over the years. The love and support you've had with the community and the game all this time can't be put into words. Whatever you're doing,keep doing it cause we all love it.Keep that momentum Geti.Best wishes on your future projects.:thumbs_up::heart:

Geti and Biurza like this.
  9. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

All I can is "finally" and you know exactly what I mean. :)

Good luck on your future endeavours and enjoy your journey, my friend! You can count me in on any project you undertake. :)

10. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

BS7FRDUP_400x400.jpg
    so long, gamer.

Geti likes this.
  11. Bye!

... But what's the Knight token for? @Geti

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Geti likes this.
  12. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Farewell Geti.

Oh good lord...

13. Good luck and thank you for everything Geti.
    Hope you the best for the future! <3

Geti likes this.
  14. l3afysamz

l3afysamz Ballista Bolt Thrower

GOODBYE MR. GETI :QQ:
    Farewell, it’s been a good 5 1/2 years of being part of your garrison. We’ll hold down the fort o7

Geti likes this.
  15. ttea

ttea Bison Rider

Geti, If you could go back and make changes to the game from Day 1 of release, what changes would you make to maximize profitability?

16. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

https://www.1bardesign.com/words/?p=2016.003
    Very bottom of the page.

ValiantVoyager and Geti like this.
  17. Ni

Ni Battle Angel Global Moderator Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. Active Forum Users

:heart:
    Nothing more to say.

Geti, Blubahub and Biurza like this.
  18. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Figured this was coming based on last few months. Sad to see you go, but good luck to you in future endeavors!

Geti likes this.
  19. technoteddy303

technoteddy303 Haxor

Thanks for everything Geti! All the best for whatever is next for ya! Crazy how long some of us have been around in this community

Geti likes this.
  20. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

You and your cohorts really made something special with kag, Geti. It was one of the first online communities that I became a regular in all those years ago, and I've met a lot of great people during those years that I still talk to today. For that I feel like I owe you a thank you. Good luck on your future endeavors!

bunnie, Geti, Biurza and 1 other person like this.