1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical Overworld Circlejerk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamburglar, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adinxs

Adinxs Bison Rider

Then fight yourself for your sweet loot.

2. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

I'd like Overworlds not to rely too much on NPCs because then you start to lose the meaty aspects of the game and people end up just being able to play alone. It promotes isolation too much, and how would that be fun in a multiplayer oriented game?
    I'd like to actually have to purchase equipment and food or mounts from other players who have dedicated their time to supplying them. The game won't be fun if everyone hermits themselves, only coming out to fight. Player interaction needs to be vital for progression

Trae likes this.
  3. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I haven't been able to log in the past few days, but I'm delighted someone else had that idea too.

I want to herd my bison out in the wilderness, tend to them, care for them. Live on the move, but have a few hidden hidey holes strewn about.

And one day, while taking my herd to market, we're accosted by a group of bandits. Little do they know, however, that this simple herder is in fact a much, much better player than they are.

I then continue on my way to market, along with an extra hundred coins worth of loot.

"Where did you get all that?!" the townsfolk shall inquire.

"Some gentlemen fell over onto their swords. Be a shame for it to rust", I'll reply.

Ronin/shepard, here I come!

4. I would sponsor you in your adventure to be a boss, Auri. That would be epic if everyone pitched in a few coins here and there to Auri to make a sweet ass base with loot and all the cool stuff possible (Like bison)

lukepop and killerhellhound like this.
  5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I will come in the night and slaughter your bison one by one. I will then leave the corpses in improbable and increasingly comical locations.

6. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Just gave me an idea...I want to be able to put the severed heads of my enemies on pikes. Would destroy any armies morale, especially if above the severed head it has the decapitated person's name. So you will know that it is your close friend that has been murdered.

7. knightl

knightl Base Burner

Well great to know who's side im going to hide from

edit:if you're a chef you will still have to go out and get ingredients or buy from a hunter (like me)

8. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

I have a feeling bison aren't going to be tame though.

9. knightl

knightl Base Burner

a arrow works wonders

also im sure you can herd them when you have pointy swords

10. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

What I'd really like to do is an organisation of a small Bandits/Rangers base somewhere in the important chokepoint.

Imagine setting ambushes,trap systems.Imagine getting shiny gold from people who can't fight back and have to pass and hiding from the stronger ones.Imagine working for one of the sides for gold,equipment - sabotage their enemies and let your master's armies through.Oh,and VIP kidnapping and freaking bountyhunting!

Would be neat.

Beef and BlueLuigi like this.
  11. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Since hunting is supposed to be added, would it be possible to add maybe snares and other traps for hunting game like that? I'd like to be able to set a small trap with a wire, come back the next day and find a dead rabbit sprite in there I could cook up or sell to a butcher.

Although being forced to live in a second dimensional world kind of makes it unfair for the rabbit XD he lacks the means to avoid a trap.. unless they could jump over them, then you'd have to skillfully place your traps and stuff

BlueLuigi likes this.
  12. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

It should depend on quality of the trap,your skill to build traps,maybe trap type(the one which is made of cheap materials may break on activating)

13. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

I was thinking more so your skill as a trapper and ability to time it and whatnot. Like...you have to know where the rabbit is going to land, assuming it jumps and dodges traps.
    So if I notice rabbits generally jump when they reach the edge of a cliff, I will be able to predict accurately where it will land. I can place my trap there, and hopefully snag myself a meal to survive another night.

But it's all about your experience as a player and your personal mastery of the skill as you practice and get better and better at timing then, predicting where they will land, etc.

Like for example, you could set one trap, knowing that the rabbit will easily jump over it, but beside that trap you could set another that he would land in while jumping over that first trap. You would have to predict that distance the rabbit will jump, but someone that is experienced should snag one almost everytime.

But you master it through trial and error.

14. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

/me wants a zeppelin! :D

BlueLuigi likes this.
  15. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

When I am King, in my throne room I will have a Jabba the Hutt set up, with slave women dancing, a band playing, a court jester jesting, and a nice little trap door right in the middle that leads down into a pit of captured zombies and other monster I could capture. And every night, the most beautiful slave girl I have my beautiful, amazing girlfriend and in-game queen will polish the royal scepter.

I will have fun playing the maniacal King role. I will publicly execute and torture peasants, and throw them into an arena to fight each other to the death occasionally so they never question my power. And they will rebel, oh yes. But it would all be for naught. Their pitch forks will break against the steel of my legions armor. I will have entire villages burned to the ground then, from the ashes, rebuilt into impenetrable fortresses.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentations of the womeeeeeeeen!

lukepop likes this.
  16. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

I don't really want to know what kind of people would want to RP as dancing slave women. :|

(Also I'm just going to say right now that there's no way you'll get so many people from the internet to follow you that loyally... evar.)

17. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

You just crushed me in every single possible way. You smacked my dreams out of my hands, pushed me onto the ground, and kicked me while I drowned in my own blood and tears.

It was mostly a joke, man. But who wants to be a dancing slave woman in real life? They don't really have a choice, you know?
    If they are good RPers and not just powergamers, they would go along with it...or defy me and die.

I wasn't asking them to follow me loyally, I'm forcing them. And yeah, that makes for good drama and roleplay. The way I see it, 3 possibly things could happen in that situation:

1. They grit their teeth together and follow, sparing their life for another day so they can plot a rebellion in the future.
    2. They defy to serve me then and there, maybe spit on me? And then are executed.
    3. They complain, call me a noob and rage quit.

The first two are both roleplay reactions. The last one...not so much. But if I were in that situation (and I have been before in other games) I would choose the first or the second one. Because not doing so destroys the fun of roleplay for everyone.

18. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

No see, I'm wondering more about the people who are going to be doing the executing and the killing. They would be the people most likely to rebel, in my opinion. But good luck in your creepy endeavors, I suppose.

19. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

lol that's just one scenario. I'm not going to be like that always and the reason it's so fun to act that out in a game is because it's the complete opposite of who I am in real life. I'm fine with being a great King too, I want to play out many different roles, personalities, etc. Whatever will make it fun for everyone else.

And they would be the last ones to rebel, right? They will be on my payroll, and handsomely compensated for their troubles, same for every soldier. No, they wouldn't rebel because they will be powerful in my ranks. Powerful, safe, wealthy...and that is why they will execute and fight without a hint of rebellion.

The only thing that might spark the idea of rebellion in their mind is if their character has a sense of good morales and he doesn't find justification with what they are doing.

lukepop likes this.
  20. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Yeah I know this is the unrealistic circlejerk thread but your expectations are like crazy way too far and you're going to be super disappointed when this comes out.

Realistically, months or maybe even years from now when overworld is put together it's likely going to be like several normal KAG maps strung together on an overworld map. All of your gladiator pits and slave women are years off if they ever show up.

Also, I have a feeling you won't be the super unstoppable power god you expect. Everyone will start out roughly equal, and its going to be the guys going in with allies who will dominate. Action, BACON, Young Blood, etc. will start the game with like half a dozen allies and will be the ones coordinating from the start, building up power collectively and working together (which they would also have experience in doing). You will be yourself with maybe like one or two people you know.

And even if you manage to steamroll every game based on your innate mad skills it's like Bracket said- no ones going to spend their time being your scepter-polishing slave. Most people will rage quit.

I'm not trying to shit on your dreams of being a virtual badass but you're going to be sad if you're expecting anything like this when overworld releases.

lukepop and UnnamedPlayer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.