1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1180] How to deal with bombs as an archer.

Discussion in 'Archer' started by Blue_Tiger, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

I wouldn't really call myself 'good' yet, but I feel like I've got down that majority of the mechanics of playing archer, dealing with knights, builders and other archers and using arrows at the correct time - but, the one thing I just can't deal with is bombs.

If you get in the knights face, he'll either just slash you, or throw the bomb in front of you and shield - if you get up high, he can easily throw, going behind blocks isn't a great shield unless you've got some distance, too. The only real way of surviving bombs I've found is going literally a mile away from the battlefield - which is immensely inconvenient in game-changing battles (considering how often bombs are pulled out).

So, anyone have any good suggestions on how to deal with these?

2. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Pick up the bomb and run the opposite way you throw it? :huh?: Unless the bomb had been 'Cooked', then it's a real problem.

3. I'm usually pretty good with disposing of pesky archers. However I've seen some higher skilled archers use a grapple technique that makes it much more difficult. From what I've seen it only works on flat ground but basically you fling yourself back and forth really fast. I'm sure @Trumbles can demonstrate.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  4. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

The safest thing you can always do is grapple really far away the moment you see them light the bomb. If you're feeling brave, you can try to get up close at the right time and use legolas shot to stun him before he is able to throw it (or water arrows from a distance). Or you could just grapple in an unexpected direction (probably the harder option but at least you don't have to run away).

It's possible to shoot the bomb in the air. You can try that. It isn't going to work, but if it does, it will look pretty badass.

If you're on flat terrain and don't think you can escape in time, you can try using trees to get above and over them - or make it look like you're going to try to go past him and then go back the other way.

SirDangalang likes this.
  5. Blue_Tiger

Thanks guys! I'll definitely try out these tactics next time I play. :).

6. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

"It's possible to shoot the bomb in the air. You can try that. It isn't going to work, but if it does, it will look pretty badass" [Potatobird]

I had finally pulled this off intentionally in a match today and it was really satisfying. Practical? Nope. Badass? YUP.
    Only wish when you hit a bomb with the arrow it would send it back to the knight as a bomb arrow which would be funny. At the moment when a bomb and arrow collide the momentum of both projectiles is killed and drops straight down. Thanks for the interesting archer tactics suggestions ^.^

But as Potatobird says staying mobile is key to bomb avoidance, with being able to use the grapple effectively to dodge and maintain distance from enemies and such is important for better archer play with fewer deaths.

7. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

If you have knights, it is easier. Don't go Commando until you are pretty good and can take down a knight on even footing (and not behind platforms or camping). When there are knights, just shoot through the battlefield, get up close and personal, and get their health down to where knights can defeat them. You will usually score some kills during that, and so then you can get water arrows.

With bombs, if you go with strategy above, you will almost never have a problem with it. The perfect way to AVOID the bombs altogether? Be good at knight.

...................​

No joke, if you are a knight, you will know how a knight's mind works, how to cook a bomb, how to throw one, where it'll hit, when it'll explode. If you know that, and apply some Archer logic, you can void most bombs. If you think that the bomb WILL make the distance and almost hit you, you can then hastily go the other way. If he is overshooting and plans for you to retreat, go towards him, send an arrow his way during that if you want.

------​

Also, on the topic of bombs, remember to ALWAYS try to hit someone who is bomb jumping WHILE he is in the AIR. They usually have their shield up, so you can hit their legs. You can either do damage, or hit him back over. Same with them on platforms. Sometimes, the knights bomb up there, hold onto the platform, and then bomb jump again to get over. If your builder didn't make at least one wood block with a spike on it, only archers can prevent it.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fwiw carrying a couple of water arrows with you is more or less negligible cost per-life and means if you end up in a 1v1 against a knight with bombs you can douse them (at least once) and cause them to damage themselves if they cook them bomb. Keeping moving is definitely the only long term thing you can do though.

9. If it's a talented knight holding that bomb and you don't have any water arrows, chances are you're done for

10. Blue_Tiger

@Dargona1018 Thanks for the tips - strangely enough I've been playing the occasional knight lately which is kind of helping with my bomb problems :).

Also, yep, I get a lot of legolas shots off on those bombjumping fools and am easily able to finish them on home territory :D.

11. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Also, to add something with the shooting bomb-jumpers:

I was once able to water-bomb someone with a keg, didn't hit him, but hit his keg (seems like a bug, I guess, but not report-worthy), and it was sent flying. It is always good for you (le archre) to be the Keg-saver. No matter what arrows you have, pick it up and RUN! If someone throws it from the air, try jumping out and grabbing it before it hits the ground. Arrows aren't always effective, so don't rely on that for keg-shooting.

12. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Ik this is a necro post, but I couldn't restrain myself.

When faced with a cooked bomb and it is thrown early, trying throwing it back. If your in a 1v1 (close combat) with a knight and he's got a bomb. Try running one way, changing direction and grappling over him, flinging yourself away from the bomb.

Another useful thing is (as stated by chukka) is to grapple on the ground or a tree, flinging yourself forward.