1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[954] Klok's Builder Guide (KBG)

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Klokinator, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

So this is the beginnings of the guide I am working on. It is about... I'd say maybe 10% complete. It's already like 20 pages so when complete it will be exceedingly long, but it will cover pretty much every theory, concept, and known ability the builder possesses. In fact, I may expand it to be a massive general guide for KAG, because to be a good builder, you must first master the other two classes, their abilities, and their movement so you know what to counter. Then again, there are other good guides on the forum about that and I'm a bit lazy, so maybe I won't. We will see.

Anyway, here is the download for KBG, V0.01 rough draft.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28014061/Klok's Builder Guide.docx

Note that it is currently in a Microsoft Word format (Just because mac users suuuck) but it will be in a PDF format when it's finished. It will likely be as exhaustive and expansive as this other guide I wrote, though much more complete. (I gave up on that one due to lack of time and interest)

Anyway, I'll update this whenever I have something new to add.

valtzu, wilpin7, jokeman8454 and 4 others like this.
  2. coolster4001

coolster4001 Catapult Fodder

Hope u finish it soon, as im still learning how to play builder!

3. vik

vik THD Team THD Team Tester

I bet you could learn how to be good at builder faster than reading this by actually playing builder and using common sense

4. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I'm actually focusing more on my video guides right now since up till your two posts nobody had shown any interest in a full builder's guide. I might return to this if interest increases though.

5. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Just a nitpick, you say the trap-pit in front of a tower should be 6-10 blocks wide, but use a 5 block wide pit in the pictured examples of chapter 2.

Also, the point at the end of chapter 3 about knights supposedly raging after getting stopped by a stone block seems weird to me. I feel like digging through the dirt above or below it would be an acceptable workaround, if not even faster than hacking through the wood blocks. Maybe if the floor and ceiling of the tunnel were bedrock or stone to begin with.

What people generally do in classic is alternate the tiles that were filled in, to discourage digging through the dirt instead while using up the same limited amount of resources, but I haven't played beta much and don't know if 500 wood is enough to just cover a whole average-size tunnel as it is. I guess the advice could still work for at least placing the initial stone you have, maybe spaced out a little more so bombs can't take out more than 1 at a time.
    :dirt_bg::castle_wall::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::tree::dirt_bg::tree::dirt_bg::tree::dirt_bg::tree::dirt_bg:
    :dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::castle_wall::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::tree::dirt_bg::tree::dirt_bg::castle_wall::dirt_bg::tree:...

Good choice of tower though. Keeping it simple is probably best for new builders.

6. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

You have a point about the tunnel, but in my experience a builder's greatest weapon is his psychological power. I can put an outer wall of stone and fill the insides with wood, or the reverse (Outer wood inner stone) or I can layer it. But ultimately I always choose whichever would have the greatest negative psychological effect on my foes. I prefer filling a tunnel with wood and then putting stone in the middle (4 tall, generally) so that if knights start digging through my wood they'll eventually hit stone and rage. If a builder goes with them then it generally never matters as they can dig right through it anyway XD

Anyway that was a tiny rant but the point is, always build with psychology in mind.

7. Themitch35

Themitch35 Catapult Fodder

Very interested in seeing this finished. your first tower example has already won me tons of games.

8. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

This is a really nice guide. A lot of builders could learn from it. I feel like this guide should some how be implemented into the tutorial.

9. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator
    1. KAG Competitive League

You need to make a sectio on on how to proprely use boulders to your advantage :) or as I call it 'Crushing a thousand noobs trying to climb up ma towar with a bouldar! (Can also give you some kills :P)

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I'm probably never going to finish this. Too much other work to be done.

11. peasant36

peasant36 Catapult Fodder

Just to say really enjoyed your guide (as is).