1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Traps are really pointless if you think about it...

Discussion in 'Builder' started by amgtree, Mar 8, 2015.

1. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Ok I like to play builder a lot. I like to set up a defensives for my team and watch people die trying to get past it, but then I thought to myself. This is wrong. If I focus on playing the game in such a way that my team has to be losing, that my teams base has to be constantly assaulted for any action to happen for me I'm playing the game wrong. Because what is going to happen is if my team can't hold the enemy back no matter how good I make a base they will eventually break through. A trap can't move, it just sits there so if it kills one guy he will just come back and either avoid it or destroy it.

In reality a builder is supposed to move forward. He is the guy who ladders the enemy towers(another reason why traps are useless) . He is the guy who entombs himself in front of the enemy flag and burrow there way through. All of these builders builders/building critiques are essentially useless if they focus on traps.

I'm not saying we shouldn't make defenses, but we shouldn't waste are time making traps because in the end they won't help your team win. I guess a trap in the middle or next to the enemy base wouldn't be terrible, but if you can have the time and safety to build a trap in the enemy base it probably means your team was winning anyways so the trap is still less effective.

Please tell me why traps aren't useless. They are the funnest things to make in this game, but I realized they won't help you win.

CowboyDan and PinXviiN like this.
  2. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

well I played a lot KAG and I saw many people focusing on making huge traps (what they called "The Death Pit") it was a resources waste and time loss and it's not even useful. This DOESN'T mean that traps are useless or "pointless" bro. If you build a nice "hidden" and "tricky" trap I believe you will guide your team to victory.I am not that good when playing as builder that's why I try to make little and useful traps that won't need huge quantity of resources and won't waste my time , just try to locate a good placement for the trap and try to hide it with anything possible and you will see how much it is useful when you kill with it +20 enemies (especially those in a hurry :p ).
    So traps aren't 100% useless but they are kinda 60% useful , it just depends on the map , resource , time and the trap design ::): also I am sure that making traps will be the best thing in KAG after @Skinney 's cool stuff get added to the game, believe me :wink:

3. Draco1991

Draco1991 Haxor

Small traps, traps that can slow down the enemy are what more teams need, efficient traps are key.

NinjaCell, 8x and ZeThtb like this.
  4. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

kegs have obsoleted traps. they are only for fun now
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 12, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 12, 2015 ---
    in fact prolific explosives have p much obsoleted all the clever builds, everything is fairly straightforward now

5. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

I wish there was some kind of buff to traps, to actually make them useful. As of right now, only autists build traps or the pros build unique funny traps that are novel but useless.

zampanothechimera likes this.
  6. Solaris

Solaris Batlord Sliftensnurgh Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

7. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  8. I mean spikes kill people what's wrong with killing people? You can't always just press A/D and go for the flag lol, sometimes you slow down and put some spikes for crowd control.

TheAverageMan likes this.
  9. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

Traps are:

-Extremely fun
    -Very useful in slowing down/deterring your enemy from attacking through a certain path
    -Effective when there is large fight taking place around them, when the enemy can't pay full attention to avoid the trap
    -Well-placed saw traps can be reall killfarms. I've had multiple games where just one single saw had probably the highest killcount on the server

My big issue with traps is that there is one most effective (the saw trap) which stifles creativity. Tramps for one should be improved to be more useful.

Also I'm still bummed out that my mighty tramp trap was not an original design apparently :(

10. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

First trap isn't a guaranteed kill, but I kind of like the second one. I guess my question is why even use the trampoline? Is it because of the bedrock and you wanted stone spikes instead?

11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

If it's easier to break it than it is to build it, there isn't much of a point to it, and unfortunately thats almost always the case with traps, short of maps with no bedrock straight through where you can dig wider than 8 tiles pits (And even those are easily handled by a builder jumping in with stone/wood, or anyone bombjumping over)

The biggest problem with traps is that they're basically going to catch only a few people, for quite a bit of work, therefore the less time put into it the better, insidious traps that are small, can be neglected by good players, but will catch baddies are the bestest IMO, especially if they let your team score an easy kill running up and hitting them while they're in, if it's easy to get out but takes a few hits people won't bother breaking them so they can stay in place for a bit as well letting you rack up a deceptive amount of kills.

12. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

because its funny
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 12, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 12, 2015 ---
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 13, 2015 ---
    we need a mod that plays a laugh track whenever someone dies to spikes, saws, or drowning

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  13. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Then a bomb just destroys the spikes and you will have knights just flooding into your flag room.

14. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

but before that it's fucking hilarious, and if your team is good they'll stop the knights and you can repair

15. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Traps can't help you win, but they'll stop some specific situations that make your loss a bit moe likely for a while.
    fi. Try to find an enemy teleporter and place a sawmill under it; place retractile spikes not on the enemy pushing way, but on their retreating paths; place retractile spikes near your doors when sneaking in the middle of a map; If you manage to get a builder hut by any of your spikes, in a 1on1 he's yours.

Basically they can be fun to build, but thinking them as something else than a temporary stopper is wrong.

Now, if you're talking about Classic, it's an entirely different thing :>

Verzuvius and PUNK123 like this.
  16. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

And a sad trombone when you self-destruct.

tru0067 and Verzuvius like this.
  17. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

you know this is a game right? also that trap lasted longer and killed more than i expected thanks to the knight shop

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  18. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Does it really matter if traps don't contribute to a win for the team in the grand scheme of things? The point of any game is to have fun. If your fun is dependent on winning and you believe traps don't help, then don't use them (and for that matter, don't play team-based competitive games, because you have to rely on other people's skills).

If, on the other hand, you enjoy watching people fall into your well-devised sawblade pit o' doom and don't care what anyone else thinks, keep using them.

19. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Wow that is really rude if you ask me

CowboyDan likes this.
  20. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Traps are minimally usefull on flat maps but if you are playing on a flat map you already lost the chance to have fun because it is a flat map. However presence of people is not a consistent thing. You might be largely on the offensive but many die from a keg and traps play an important part in stopping an enemy rush.

In tunnel warfare (either tunneling or the caves in maps) traps are important because a builder could dismantle doors but a trap can kill before being destroyed or without being damaged at all.

In maps with multiple paths a trap can still act as a way to influence enemy movement as a wall would but with the chance of actively killing.

Offensive traps are possible with some imagination and luck. A battle builder might stop a knight by blocking a door but another builder might be able to kill them if the context works out. That way the knight can't continue to be a fleet in being.

8x likes this.