1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Overgrowth (Third-person fighting game)

Discussion in 'Other games' started by WanderMark, Jan 13, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

[​IMG]
    Developer: Wolfire Games
    Publisher: Wolfire Games
    Genre: Third-Person Fighting/Action Adventure
    Platform(s): Windows, Mac, Linux
    Hello again!​
    Didn't see a thread about this game anywhere on this forum so I am going to go ahead and ask: "Who here knows about Overgrowth?"​
    What is Overgrowth?Overgrowth is, as already mentioned in the title, a third-person fighting game.
    It is being developed by Wolfire Games, the same guys that took the initiative and organized the very first Humble Indie Bundle.
    This is a direct successor to their previous game, Lugaru, in which you take control over the rabbit, Turner on his quest to revenge his murdered family. Something which holds true with Lugaru and Overgrowth alike is their relativly friendly-looking exterior. You take control over a rabbit and set out to fight against other rabbits, cats or wolves. But here's the deal, if you would take your time and sit down with the game you would find a pretty dark experience.
    Slit the throat of your enemies, stab or slice them with a sword, break their neck, you name it! The combat system in Overgrowth is already, despite the fact still being in alpha, vastly superior to that you could find in Lugaru. Disarm your opponents, throw them over your shoulder, counter their attacks, low and high kicks and much more. The game's strongest aspect in my opinion is keeping the combat advanced but at the same time accessible. There's not a million button combinations you need to memorize, it is all more about the timing. The more you fight the more experienced you will become.
    [​IMG]
    "The legs of a rabbit are good for more than just jumping around with."
    As I said, the game is still in alpha, but if you pre-order it you will gain access to the
    "Secret Pre-order Forum."
    Here you can find weekly builds of the game, map-packs and general discussion about the mechanics. The developers are really good at keeping you updated with the progression of the game. Every week a video will be released and in it you will see all the changes that have been made. Click here to see the the latest video update as a reference.
    One thing I find very intresting about the combat is that the damage is based upon where you strike the enemy, just like in a first person shooter. If you kick an opponent in the head he might simply just stumble back from the impact, making him open for more attacks. However, if you make a sweeping kick and make the opponent fly into a wall with the neck first you might be able to break it, thus killing the enemy.
    It is hard to say what kind of final gamplay we will see with this game. What we know is that it will take place in the same world as Lugaru and we will control the main protagonist, Turner, in this game as well. There are speculations that it is going to be some sort of free-roaming game, but as far as I know that is just a rumor. A lot of people have been wanting to see multiplayer, and while nothing is confirmed, the developers have incorporated a crude local multiplayer system in the alpha.
    Right now the only thing you can do is to play out set scenarios. These are all a lot of fun on their own and they give you a great idea how the combat will play out in the final release. New maps are constantly being made by Overgrowth's fanbase.
    If you want to know more about the game, then visit Wolfire's official webpage. It can be found here.

2. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Fantastic description of the game!
    I pre-ordered Overgrowth half an age ago, and have had little time to keep up with the development of it.
    However, I occasionally find time to look at how it's going, and my goodness it is going to be the best game of the age!

3. WanderMark

Absolutely! I have very high hopes for this game. I am a big fan of the original game, Lugaru, and I almost fell of my chair when I found out that they are in the process of making a sequel. I bought the game about a year ago and just like you I haven't really followed the development that close.

I usually watch the video updates or the art assets, they are fantastic, the aesthetic design of this game is really appealing to me. What spurred me to make this post is that I recently downloaded the latest build. I made some further research and found this huge package containing about forty maps or so. It was a really nice suprise, the creativity amongst the fanbase is really endless. In the pack I found some combat challanges, parkour maps, stealth missions or everything incorporated into one level.

My expectations are already sky high, they have partly already been answered through the alpha. This could very well be one of the fighting/adventure game that I've played in a long time.

4. Wonkyth

Just to clarify, I'm not even being a fanboy, as is my wont.
    It is going to be AMAZING!

BlueLuigi likes this.
  5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Great description, been waiting for this for some time now actually. Love the parkour maps and can't wait to mod this for some serious fun too

E: read the comic too, it's awesome!!!

6. WanderMark

Yeah, I always try to be objective towards things and not fool myself into thinking something that's bad is actually good. "Fanboyism" isn't really a good thing as "fanboys" tend to look the other way when their favourite company/game/whatever does something that isn't that really beneficial for the franchise. They might even go as far and try to defend it, thus driving what they love into the ground.

I am all for people feel really passionate about certain things but you will not kill whatever you like by pointing out what you don't like about it. Instead you will do it a favour.

In order to stay on topic here I would like to say that I really don't see anything bad about Overgrowth as it stands right now. It is what I expect it to be and the developers seem to take their time and listen to its fanbase. I have really high hopes for this.

Edit:
    Oh yeah! The art style in that comic is nothing but amazing. It is really gritty and makes a great job at depicting the story. Also a big fan of the world it takes place in. It all seems to be a big mixture of different cultures.

7. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

Played the ever loving crap out of the prequel to this game, Lugaru, my only complaint is that this game will most likley never be able to run on my craptop... :(

Still i goddamn love all the update videos the guy makes on changes he has made... hes like a coding machine!

8. GhostyS

GhostyS Shopkeep Stealer

i preordered overgrowth about a couple years ago

9. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

One thing I have to say is that the videos definitely act as a very good means of quality assurance. They are fun to watch, give detailed explanations of what is happening and are overall enjoyable.

10. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

And if anything, the tools the game provides for modders and whatnot will most likley keep the game alive for many years...

11. Tyngn

Tyngn Ballista Bolt Thrower

The game looks very promising and i really want to buy it, but I only got 30 bucks on my paypal left so my question is should i put all of it into this one game?

12. WanderMark

In all honesty, I wouldn't recommend you doing so unless you have really strong feelings for the game.

It is currently in alpha and there is no real gameplay to it. The game as it stands now is made up by community made challange levels. These range from parkour to killing a number of enemies.

The game is updated on a weekly basis, adding and refining the gameplay. Things such as weapons, throwing your weapons, switching hands, blocks, everything you can imagine. The devs are releasing videos on these weekly changes as well, they are a great way to find out if it is something for you.

Here is one of those videos.

With that said, the combat system is really damn good already. If you really want to beat some wolves and rabbits right now, go for it.

If you are still unsure, wait until it reaches later in development and there is more to it.

13. GhostyS

GhostyS Shopkeep Stealer

In my opinion, its worth buying it just to throw swords at wolfs heads in slow-motion.

WanderMark likes this.
  14. This. Game. Is. Legendary.
    The best part about it is the fights are quick and realistic, with most fights ending in a couple of seconds.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  15. Wonkyth

Heh, it is if you're armed!
    If they've got a weapon and you don't it's a little more laborious! :P

The standard of quality in this game is surely something somewhat unprecedented, so if you're a sucker for craftsmanship, here's a feast!

16. Tyngn

Tyngn Ballista Bolt Thrower

Bah. I can't combine my prepaid cards :( so no overgrowth for me but I am fine with KAG :D

17. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Because it's a spiritual predecessor made by the same company, perhaps?? Maybe.

Anywho, the original isn't too impressive, but this game owns and you should all buy it immediately.

BlueLuigi and Tyngn like this.
  18. Miaow

Miaow The Fanciest Pants always wins Donator Tester

How good does your computer have to be to run it?

19. WanderMark

The game has no official released system specifications. With that said, you can change mostly all video settings in the game's configuration file.

Absolute minium for the game, I reckon, would be around 1-2gb ram and a 3.2 ghz processor. Not sure about the graphic card. Something I can say though is that the game has some compability problems with crossfire, a technology ATI cards use in order to link two gpus.

I ran the game great with 4gb ram, a quad-core processor 3,2ghz, and an ATI radeon HD 4870 1gb vram. But when I upgraded my computer with two stronger graphic cards running in crossfire I had real problems playing the game. Even then, you might be able to play it. I've seen people with crossfire running it perfectly fine. It is really all hit and miss at the moment.

It is really hard to tell at the moment. The game is in alpha and nothing in certain. You could always stroll over to Wolfire Game's forum, and give them your computer specs.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Wonkyth and BlueLuigi like this.
  20. This is my computers specs and I can play it fairly well;

4gb ram, a 3.2 ghz dual core processor and a 1gb Radeon HD 6450 which is not really that good, but it can play Overgrowth well.

Hope this helps you Miaow. <3

Mods: BlueLuigi